Home
Everytime I've tried it it's hard as a brick. I like the flavor of it but I just don't have the teeth for it. Is it supposed to be that way? Is there a recipe for one that is easier to chew and doesn't get stuck in your teeth as bad?
Yuck!!
I make a batch every year that seems to be well-received. Two things that I do are 1) wrap them in cheese cloth, brush the cheese cloth with brandy, seal them in Zip-Locks for a month, rebrushing about once a month, and 2) leave out any toothbusting nuts and nut hulls.
I don't care for those kind of dates, come to think on it, many dates back when were not all that great. laugh
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I make a batch every year that seems to be well-received. Two things that I do is 1) wrap them in cheese cloth, brush the cheese cloth with brandy, seal them in Zip-Locks for a month, rebrushing about once a month, and 2) leave out any toothbusting nuts and nut hulls.

It's awesome, particularly if homemade & handled this way !

smile
I have had both homemade and store bought light and dark and enjoy a little bit during the holidays.
I love it! I ate an entire Collin Street Bakery fruitcake in 24 hours by myself.
I'm gonna be on the lookout for one. Might have to be something from the cracker barrel though.
Couplands.
... wrap them in cheese cloth, brush the cheese cloth with brandy ...

My grandmother did something like that, but she's been gone so long (I was a kid when she passed) I don't remember exactly what she said.
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33
I'm gonna be on the lookout for one. Might have to be something from the cracker barrel though.

Not many Cracker Barrel types here. Gonna hafta bump it up a notch. smile cool laugh
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I don't care for those kind of dates, come to think on it, many dates back when were not all that great. laugh

Fruitcakes or Fruit cakes ?? grin
Denny, some cute little tomatoes, some fruitcakes, some that went to power their nose, I'm still waiting for. Is it time to worry? grin
Ha! Comedians. Yeah not a fan of cracker barrel but not much in the way of bakeries where I live.
Is it time to worry? grin

[Linked Image]
Denny how did you get my high school yearbook?
Meanwhile back to fruitcakes.
Nothing wrong with a fruit cake.
Everyone seems to like mine....................

Mama Johnsons - outstanding FC.....

got the recipe from her son.......... promised I'd never give it out.....
Nothing better for the Holidays!!!! Soaked in Brandy & Rum!! Charlie
I'm on a quest now.
If you come up short Beans, you can have my share,
Ha! Thanks
Yes love it, but actually getting hard to find around here.
I love fruit cake. Have 3 in the fridge.

Claxton or bust. None better.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ironbender

[Linked Image]

Eat it right out of the box ? Schmear of butter ?
Slices like in the pic, Denny. It comes in block like this.

[Linked Image]

Their website says free shipping in USA.
https://www.claxtonfruitcake.com
I'm not a big fan of sweets and that chit takes "sweet" to a whole new level so......NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Curiosity prevailed. I ordered a box.

Pray for me. wink
Originally Posted by muffin
Everyone seems to like mine....................

Mama Johnsons - outstanding FC.....

got the recipe from her son.......... promised I'd never give it out.....

I never understood that thinking! When they die the recipe dies with them.
Back in the day, my father used to give Collin Street Bakery's fruit cakes out to his customers at Christmas every year. I think that was some old school thinking from way back in the 40's or the 50's. When we took over the company, we were afraid of losing customers because of it. laugh So we started sending hams out to the top customers. But as a kid, I loved this stuff.

https://www.collinstreet.com/online_bakery_gift/deluxe_fruitcake
I too enjoy the Collin Street. Try to get a couple each holiday season.
My wife and I love fruitcake, one of our favorites is the round one from Costco. My grandma would make them from scratch and brandy them for months before Christmas.
I loved my Moms fruitcake. As a young’n, I used to help her make them. She used a very old Betty Crocker cook book, but I remember she used only half of the candied fruit the recipe called for. Then she had a method of insulating the baking pans so the sides of the cake didn’t over cook. Once done, they were wrapped in cheese cloth, and she used Manischeiwtz wine to flavor them and stored in metal containers for a couple months. Long process but very good.
I love well made fruit cakes. Also had some fruitcake made by monks that was out of this world. Probably find it on the Binger.

Today I learned that some of those little candies in the cake are actually pith from the citron.
Made my first fruitcakes day after Thanksgiving followed this recipe

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/everyones-favorite-fruitcake-recipe

Have only tried that bits that stuck to the tin, quite moist. I've been basting it with brandy and expect it will be quite moist.
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Have only tried that bits that stuck to the tin, quite moist. I've been basting it with brandy and expect it will be quite moist.

I grease (Crisco works great) the pans, then line them with waxed paper, which I grease as well.
Enjoy the fruitcake men. [Linked Image]
what is the ballistics on Fruitcake ? give us some data.
Your average store bought fruitcake made well in advance of the Holidays? Typically bad to horrible....

A fresh homemade one........I'm all in ..........

Huge difference.

On board with this,,,
I like good ones.
Some are made that are not brick hard and without flavor.
Beansnbacon33,

Fwiw, I never liked any sort of fruitcake until I met/lassoed my Texas Cowboy BUT his G-G-G-GM's (pre mid-1800s) recipe out of Marshal County, MS is in a single word: WONDEREFUL.

It's sole problem is that I cannot pass it on a cake-stand W/O having "just a few bites". - It's definitely addictive.

Sincerely, DarlaG
https://www.gethsemanifarms.org/fruitcake.aspx
Darla, welcome to the 'Fire. Bring thick skin when venturing out of this forum.

Worked at a grocery store while in high school. Those dried fruits only turned over inventory once a year!
calikooknic,

Thanks for the kind welcome.

The recipe for my DH's family recipe uses fresh (rather than all dried) fruit, including sliced apples, homemade stewed fruit & other "goodies". - The layers have a layer of applesauce or apple butter between the four or five 2-3" layers.
(Their style of fruitcake is stacked like a regular 5-layer cake & dressed with icing, too.)

Fyi, properly dehydrated or candied fruit should last for years & years W/O significant change in freshness. just as an ordinary candy-bar does not spoil on the grocery store shelf.

Sincerely, DarlaG
+ 0n the the Collin Street.
Saying you don't like fruitcake because of store bought fare is about the same as saying you don't like biscuits and gravy because all you've had is this and canned gravy.

[Linked Image]

I grease (Crisco works great) the pans, then line them with waxed paper, which I grease as well.

Noted for next year, thanks
Love the stuff although I hear it might be a wee-bit calorically dense?? Collins St pecan version is tough to beat, but I like the sounds of this King Arthur version too.
Fremont,

Why not find a recipe on the Internet that looks GOOD & make your own?? - My hubby makes great stews/cakes/pies/BBQ/Louisiana pralines/jambalaya/etc.

Since he can/does, you can too.

Sincerely, DarlaG
Two bricks of Claxton arrived today. Carved off a chunk and it was very good ! However its density surprised me.Were it not for the excellent flavor it would be great material for a retailing wall on the property. grin
Then there is more than one??!!
Originally Posted by DarlaG
Fremont,Why not find a recipe on the Internet that looks GOOD & make your own?? -
Sincerely, DarlaG

And miss all the fun here ?

Welcome aboard.
Then there is more than one??!!

Locked and loaded here.

Ordered a 2 pack.
Enjoy it Denny. Not "my cup of tea", but to each to his own.
Laid out like a can of spam. Actually quite small.

[Linked Image]

I'm not a sweets fan, either. But I do enjoy a slice of fruitcake during the holidays. Usually just one.

If it's brick hard, it's stale. Probably been re-gifted umpteump times. Cripes, if you don't like it and get one, just put it out for the birds.
Moist and dense. Not stale.

Kinda went thud when it hit bottom
UPDATE:

Ate 3 slices over the last 90 minutes or so. Tasty.

Got a world class case of the skidders of the worst kind. eek

Thinkin' I should grab a good book, the Bose and plan on an extended stay in the can.

AC / DC or Barry Manilow ?
Even flow, pearl Jam

[Linked Image]

OMG that looks like the typical store-bought fruitcake that makes me gag

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Moist and dense. Not stale.

Kinda went thud when it hit bottom

That’s how you know it’s a good one!
Originally Posted by sse

[Linked Image]

OMG that looks like the typical store-bought fruitcake that makes me gag
[Linked Image]

Pssst. Don’t look.
merry Christmas
claxton fruitcake, accruing from claxton, ga. has been the best in the land for decades and decades.

there's probably better ones, but they won't be nearly as competitive in price for the quality.

my mom use to make really good fruitcakes without a recipe. claxton is better.

and that's difficult for me to admit to, but it's the truth.

strong black coffee in a cup, and piece of claxton.
I have an improved view of you now, Gus.
dammit now im gonna have to order me one gus.
Enjoying my Claxton FC. Wonderful nutty taste in the background

Thanks
Originally Posted by Gus
claxton fruitcake, accruing from claxton, ga. has been the best in the land for decades and decades.

there's probably better ones, but they won't be nearly as competitive in price for the quality.

Interesting how a discussion of fruitcake brought forth an unprecedented clarity of exposition. laugh
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Gus

Interesting how a discussion of fruitcake brought forth an unprecedented clarity of exposition. laugh

Don't get used to it.
Tiny morsel of Claxton FC remaining.Pretty good. I'll freeze the remaining brick in case withdrawal sets in. Hope not as not sure if my insurance covers treatment for fruitcake addiction.

is there gonna be an annual fruitcake thread around here now?
Seems that we do.
No worse than a lutfisk thread.
Seems that we do.

are you suggesting that participants in this forum are fruitcakes?
Fruitcake 2017
The fruitcakes are included in, but in limited to the food section.
[Linked Image]
No worse than a lutfisk thread.

Hey now, don't go stinking up this thread
I have an improved view of you now, Gus.

Gus is good people, his posts make you think and I don't think I've ever seen him say something nasty to someone on the forum.

Just broke into this year's batch after its rest in the basement - very satisfactory.
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Back in the day, my father used to give Collin Street Bakery's fruit cakes out to his customers at Christmas every year. I think that was some old school thinking from way back in the 40's or the 50's. When we took over the company, we were afraid of losing customers because of it. laugh So we started sending hams out to the top customers. But as a kid, I loved this stuff.

https://www.collinstreet.com/online_bakery_gift/deluxe_fruitcake

If you don't like the fruit cake from Collin Street Bakery, something is bad wrong with your taste buds!!!!! I love fruit cake but diabetes has taken it away from me.
trust me on this, don't eat... sick

[Linked Image]
But it already sliced! Ya caint refuse!
© 24hourcampfire