Home
Posted By: Docbar Stocky’s M70 bottom metal - 12/05/20
Has anyone bought the Model 70 one-piece bottom metal from Stocky’s Stocks? I bought a Super Grade Featherweight stock from CDNN that is pretty nice for my mid 90’s vintage Featherweight, but I will need new bottom metal as mine is two-piece and this stock is inletted for one-piece. A spacer is available to make the two-piece work, but I can’t imagine that looking very nice. Stocky’s looks nice, but different from OEM. There is even an Oberndorf option, which I believe has the release inside the trigger guard. Thoughts?

https://www.stockysstocks.com/winch...-upgrade-traditional-steel-aluminum.html
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Stocky’s M70 bottom metal - 12/05/20
Stocky's has intelligent life answering the phone........ unlike some other gun places.
Posted By: Docbar Re: Stocky’s M70 bottom metal - 12/05/20
That’s definitely a point in their favor.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Stocky’s M70 bottom metal - 12/05/20
I'd try the spacer first and see how it looks. If you can't live with it then you can drop some $$ on a new one.
Stick with the traditional style.

The oberndorf style had problems with the footplate latch not closing tight.
It was a design flaw that they didn’t seem to want to address. Lots of people had cartridges falling on the ground after the first shot, due to recoil causing the latch to open.

I have the traditional, it’s nice. The oberndorf looks cheap.

Leftybolt
Thanks Lefty.
The stuff Stocky's sells used to be PT&G, not sure if it still is.
The last one I bought from them was PTG as well. Their oberndorf model was the only one I’ve ever had an issue with. I’m sure it’ll cost more through stocky’s but I bet you’ll get it allot quicker
Interesting. Is it truly drop in? If not I’ll just go with OEM one-piece.
For my model 70 lightweight I used a Bell and Carlson stock with the PTG one piece bottom metal. Fit and function is perfect and it looks good too.
Posted By: iskra Re: Stocky’s M70 bottom metal - 12/05/20
I do suppose this is a steel unit and I don't suppose they offer a " - Super Grade - " floorplate inscribed option. Correct?
Tks!
John

Originally Posted by iskra
I do suppose this is a steel unit and I don't suppose they offer a " - Super Grade - " floorplate inscribed option. Correct?
Tks!
John

Steel and aluminum versions are offered, but no Super Grade. However, a seller on EBay has some.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Winchester-Model-70-Post-1964-rifle-1-piece-One-Piece-L-A-Floorplate-SUPERGRADE/382994981369?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D228729%26meid%3D8a7cfd24c6b240e0ac449dc844bcb09e%26pid%3D100935%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpf%26sd%3D401008930822%26itm%3D382994981369%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2332490%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithDarwoV3BBEV2b%26brand%3DWinchester&_trksid=p2332490.c100935.m2460
Posted By: iskra Re: Stocky’s M70 bottom metal - 12/06/20
Momentarily-belatedly, standing to defend Oberndorf, in classic production firm context. Several differing styles of securing floorplate to bottom metal! Lever release & in-bow trigger guard type context of "quick release" styles. I have both in a number of rifles and NEVER a problem. I can see such in terms of weak springs, but some (eg Argentine M 1909 military) pushing century as... No problem. Second source of potential failure, the lever release type, hanging there on floorplate "in the weather", so to speak. 'Harm's way' potential. None of mine displaying any damage whatsoever. There 'may have been' certain firms producing such release mechanisms with inferior materials, designs, workmanship/fitment leading to 'casualties'. Oberndorf Mauser was, for well over a century, the standard by which quality mauser production was defined. The "gold standard". Some other large production firms, it's equal (eg: Steyr in Austria; Brno/Cz in Czechoslovakia, FN in Belgium, Husqvarna & Sako, overlapping locale). Yet to my mind, no other production Mauser firm surpassing Oberndorf sporter quality (latter "war years" excepting). Such OR trouble free quality ,absent disasters or "Bubba's" hand!
As speaking of 'other than' steel; typically alloy; another ball game. From Winchester "Featherweight" models with pretty durn good, strong alloy to some 'other' so soft easily defaced, distorted, failed! Hinges particularly susceptible!
Just another wordy take! smile
Best & Stay Safe!
John
Posted By: jbuck Re: Stocky’s M70 bottom metal - 12/10/20
I have the stockys 1 piece aluminum BM. I have zero complaints. My rifle originally had a 2pc set up until I ordered a McMillan with the cutout for a 1pc. Stockys was the only place I could find one in stock.
Posted By: Docbar Re: Stocky’s M70 bottom metal - 12/10/20
Originally Posted by jbuck
I have the stockys 1 piece aluminum BM. I have zero complaints. My rifle originally had a 2pc set up until I ordered a McMillan with the cutout for a 1pc. Stockys was the only place I could find one in stock.

Does Stocky’s have the same “footprint” as OEM?
Posted By: jbuck Re: Stocky’s M70 bottom metal - 12/11/20
Yes, it fit perfectly in the stock that was inletted for the factory bottom metal.
© 24hourcampfire