Home
Im wanting to purchase a Hastings choke for a Hastings A5 barrel that I have. Which would you recommend

Also, the choke says "lead shot only" Im assuming this would prevent me from using Hevi Shot brand shotgun shells????

Thanks for the advice.
Choke is all shot dependent (type of shot), including shot size that you are going to use. If you opt for the Federal Heavyweight and the FliteControl wad, you may be best served by a "standard" full choke.

I would look at the shot shell makers recommendation for the specific load and shot size before picking a constriction, and go from there.
From your choices, I'd go with the .660.

Any reason you aren't going with a better brand? I never had much luck with Hastings chokes, but they are ok. Does Hastings use TruChoke threads? If so, I'd go with a SumToy. He'll swap with you until you are satisfied.

On the hevi note, I have shot hevi through Hastings chokes w/o a problem. Most lead only chokes came about before hevi was popular and they stated "lead only" to keep folks from shooting unbuffered steel shot loads through them. Hevi shot is loaded in good wads and is buffered. Small hevi such as #7 and #6 plus buffer flows much, much easier through a choke than an unbuffered steel shot load with larger pellets. I'd never shoot steel shot or large hevi through a turkey choke even if it was designed for Hevi.
Thanks, ordered one from Sum Toy yesterday. I didn't know anyone else made one that would fit a Hastings barrel. Ill report back with results.
© 24hourcampfire