Home
Posted By: BillR 300 Savage - Remington 760 Pump - 11/28/11
Curious if anyone has used a Remington 760 in 300 savage. I know the cartridge is suitable for deer/moose.
I am wondering if it would be a suitable/dependable choice as a first deer rifle for a young woman who weighs about 115 pounds.
This past season I let her borrow my 1899 H 30-30 (1912) but I am not anxious to sell that rifle.
Remington has been offered to her by another person for about $400. A receiver sight if included would up price by about $50.
BillR
My cousin has one, I shot it once or twice, nice gun but personally I'd rather find a bolt action in 300 Sav instead of a pump. Not alot of kick, just felt wierd in my hands.

Ever think of a Savage model 170 in 30-30, ya I know they're post-mil and have a bad wrap but so do the Remington 760's and 740's.
Personally, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better pump action rifle that the older 760's. Pumps have been dubbed "rattletraps". If you walk around wiggling the forend then yes, you'll hear it. On their own, they are silent. .300 Savage is one of the more desireable configurations. Low felt recoil and easy to stay on target with. JMHO.
Hey, why are you talking about Remingtons when you could be putting an Anticosti thread together, I'd like to know how you did!
I have a 760 in 300 Sav. I think it is a good hunting rifle. I can neck size cases for the 760. Magazines can be hard to find, even though some say a mag for a 308 will work.
I've consider buying one of the earlier 760 300 Savage's many times.

I've handled many, but never shot one. I like em.

I think 400 is a reasonable price, if it's in good condition.
Originally Posted by mad_dog
I know they're post-mil and have a bad wrap but so do the Remington 760's and 740's.

If a 760 has a problem, it is the person handling the gun that created the problem IMO. I am not knocking any other gun out there but I believe the 760/7600's are the best deer gun today. The new short action mags work fine in regards to finding a spare .300 clip.

A 760 with a peep.........can't beat it!
I bought a 760 300 Savage with an old 2x7 Redfield Tracker at a pawn shop. Got if for 250 and have killed several deer with it... sweet rig. Not a lot of recoil and definite hammer on deer.
Originally Posted by FCGS

A 760 with a peep.........can't beat it!

Haha, your in the wrong department of the forum to be saying stuff like that.

I've got an R here in 300 Sav with a peep and I'd bet it could beat it.
wish you were closer!
Ben...you really that big a fan of Jamington's or just the 760/7600 pump you have luck with? Just wondering.
Originally Posted by fatjack34
Ben...you really that big a fan of Jamington's or just the 760/7600 pump you have luck with? Just wondering.

I have never seen a 760/7600 jam. I own 2 7600's and I grew up with 3 others....not a on jammed. The semi's that is a different story.

I will have put my pumps through the mill including my 870's......not one has failed.
Here ya go!

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/forums/
I had 2 Jamingtons (semi autos) myself when I was a kid. A 30-06 and a 280. Both of the [bleep] things jammed every time I shot them.

My Grandfather and my Uncle had 308's. I don't know that they EVER jammed.

WTF?
I have a Rem. 760 in 300Sav, and I find it to be a accurate gun. I was lucky enough to get 4 mags with the purchase too. I think I paid $250 for it, but that was about 15 years ago. I did have to replace the o-ring on the forearm to keep it from rattling, and it was all gummed up when I got it, so like all used rifles I buy, I had to take it apart, clean & lube it.
That being said, I would rather hunt with my 99F in 300Sav. -TomT
Ben...not hammering you, just curious. I am not a Rem fan and I wondered if the pumps were your thing...no experience with the pumps...just the semi's...not a fan like I said!
Ben...not hammering you, just curious. I am not a Rem fan and I wondered if the pumps were your thing...no experience with the pumps...just the semi's...not a fan like I said!

The very first deer gun I ever carried was a 99T 30-30 at 6 years old. My first shotgun was a Stevens 220LE 20ga. I then moved to a Stevens pump. Growing up, I watched my father carry 760's and 870's religously. I then moved to an 870 of my own and the Remington pump became second nature to me. I have hunted with bolts, semi's, singles, doubles and pumps. In MY hands a pump is the best choice. I am not a "Benoit fan" but there is a reason those boys hunt with pumps and peeps......reliable and deadly. Long before I found out about those guys and their set ups, my 7600 was sporting a peep. In all honesty, when I grab a gun to put meat in the freezer, the pumps come out. I have a 7600 '06 with a 3x9 Leupold on it......it stays home and my 7600 .35 rem with the peep fills the tags.
Nice! Your Dad carried a Rem? Sacrilege! I can't imagine The Man with the K carried a Rem!
Nice! Your Dad carried a Rem? Sacrilege! I can't imagine The Man with the K carried a Rem!

No worries...those pumps of his are stached far back in the cabinet! They only come out when I look at them.
...maybe you get him to break down and pass 'em on early! grin
I can't believe he had a T and went to a Remington!
Originally Posted by FCGS

The very first deer gun I ever carried was a 99T 30-30 at 6 years old. My first shotgun was a Stevens 220LE 20ga. I then moved to a Stevens pump. Growing up, I watched my father carry 760's and 870's religously. I then moved to an 870 of my own and the Remington pump became second nature to me. I have hunted with bolts, semi's, singles, doubles and pumps. In MY hands a pump is the best choice. I am not a "Benoit fan" but there is a reason those boys hunt with pumps and peeps......reliable and deadly. Long before I found out about those guys and their set ups, my 7600 was sporting a peep. In all honesty, when I grab a gun to put meat in the freezer, the pumps come out. I have a 7600 '06 with a 3x9 Leupold on it......it stays home and my 7600 .35 rem with the peep fills the tags.

I'll let it slide Ben, but that "T" you carried when you were 6...............It was really a "G" in 30-30 and it still sits in the safe. I will agree, even though this isn't the place to be discussing it, that the Remington pumps WERE the best pumps ever made. Personally, I think the 870 surpasses the model 12 by a long shot. I have had 99's cost me a deer because of feeding problems (before I understood the rotor), but NEVER have I had a Remington pump jam or fail to feed. I wouldn't give a Remington semi-auto house room. ANY of them. Thanks for speaking your mind Ben and standing up for what you believe. Keep on shootin and huntin and I'll have no worries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile smile
...the Proud Patriarch speaks! smile smile smile

***smilies added for effect! grin
The 760 is a great rifle for sure, but I like the older Model 14 and 141 pumps. Can't get 'em in .300 Savage, and they're kind of heavy, but I love the way they work.

This one's in .32 Rem. I've put a Lyman peep on it since these pics were taken.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Rod
Rod,
That's the rifle I was searching for in 1972. I just couldn't find one. I love the tubular magazine and it's ability ot offset the ammunition to facilitate the use of pointed bullets. I setteled for my 1st 760 in .308. I still look for a decent one in 35 Rem. but no luck finding one. frown frown
Steve--

Decent original Model 14s are hard to find. Most were used pretty hard and many others were drilled and tapped.

Rod
PAXCTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As is ANY old gun. Just tools, that's all they were then, and that's all they are now. Difference is WE have more options available to make the tool fit our needs.
My Grandpappy had one in 35.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by mad_dog
My Grandpappy had one in 35.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thank you Joe. Two things I have a soft spot for.................Old guns and Canadians!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look how proud those HUNTERS look with their baldies!!!!!!!!!!!
Ahh, the Remington 760, also known as the "Amish Assault Rifle" due to its huge popularity in the Pennsylvania deer woods. Generally carried by guys who aren't rifle loonies in the perfect sense, but who hunt like they mean it. Admire the man armed with a beat to hell 760 and a steely glint in his eye, he'll likely bring home the venison. Fear the guy armed with a shiny new one, dressed via the sale flier from K-Mart, and with a clueless look in his eye. He's as likely to bag another hunter as a deer.
Remintin,Remintin,Remintin, good god the only one i own now is a Harry Lawson custom in 458,these Remintin nuts here father and son actually shot it this summer. I will say Remington does make the "PUMP GUN" and they work ,but they just dont have the class of a Savage lever !!!!!!! grin Don
Originally Posted by Loggah
Remintin,Remintin,Remintin, good god the only one i own now is a Harry Lawson custom in 458,these Remintin nuts here father and son actually shot it this summer. I will say Remington does make the "PUMP GUN" and they work ,but they just dont have the class of a Savage lever !!!!!!! grin Don

Well according to some, I'm pretty low class myself. With that in mind I guess Remmy's are a good match fo me.
Truth be told, any kind of "shucker" is American as apple pie. That whole breed of gun may not be very "classy" when compared to, say, the Savage lever gun or a whole host of others but I have known some pretty classy guys who used them (although they would have been a lot classier if they hadn't). grin

Originally Posted by BillR
Curious if anyone has used a Remington 760 in 300 savage. I know the cartridge is suitable for deer/moose.
I am wondering if it would be a suitable/dependable choice as a first deer rifle for a young woman who weighs about 115 pounds.

I have one. In many ways it is a nice rifle, but my chief dislike is how far forward it requires me to put my left hand. I'm a tall long armed guy and it bothers me. The young woman would probably have the same problem with the rifle, but may not recognize it if she is inexperienced.
"a first deer rifle for a young woman who ways about 115 pounds"

Since this is a Savage forum, I'm going to put in a plug for a takedown Savage Model G in 250-3000. I think it's the bees knees for a petite woman or youngster. A second choice might be a F in .243 Winchester, or IF your a handloader, ANY post WW2 99F. -TomT
Love those 760s. Hunted with them for years and never had a jam- 244, 257, 280, 06s, 300savs, 35 rem- it was too easy, went to 99s with tang sights to give them a chance although its a small chance. Not many guys collect them so prices aren't too bad although a 223 went for $2400 a couple of weeks ago on GB.

Mike

760 story with CONDITION-
CONDITION I SAY!
I was 1/2 mile down canyon from my buddy hunting the biggest black bear I had ever seen, (later killed by another hunter and aged at 27 years) and failed to adequately dispatch the week before, when I hear a single long, loud report from upstream. Since my buddy was carrying a 760 in 270, and he's a bear nut, (not a BEER NUT), I figured he had scored on the blacky we knew was crossing the two-track dirt road around 5 pm each day. Well, it took most of an hour to get back up out of the canyon I was in and run the truck back up to where I figured he was. Sure enough, I see both his and the bears tracks in the dust and from the looks of it, he drew blood. About then, he hollers from 75 yards down off the two track. I went down to help and he told the story. He was strolling real slow (he's disabled) when the bear appeared 20 yards in front of him above the road bank on a rock, surveying the situation before committing to cross to water. Since he was a shooter, my buddy fired right then and there. The first shot got the bear before it could whirl and run into the woods. After being hit, it ran downhill, like they are want to do, and he put TWO MORE into it before it crossed the two track. As I said, he was 75 yards downhill, standing over the bear. I heard him shoot ONCE, but in reality, that 760 barked three times so fast they smeared together in one long loud report. I was skeptical but we found the three casings. I immediately bought a 760 in 280 and just as suddenly decided I didn't like it. BUT, I would NEVER challenge a true pump man with any rifle, including my love, a Savage 99. Those three shots are forever etched in my brain as the single fastest volley I've ever heard from any manually operated repeater. True story.
Like so many things, they should never have "improved" the original 760. For a guy who hunts with pumps, it was perfect. I still have an original one in .300 Savage, and it still shoots perfectly after hundreds of rounds and miles. Unlike a 99, you don't have to mutilate it to scope it; "geezer friendly"! Mine wears a 2 3/4X Redfield with a big dot reticle.

I have heard a friend of mine fire a Model 12 pump shotgun so fast that the three shots blended into one. It's a wonder what enough caffeine can do for a fellow!
For me, the big draw to the Savage 99 is the way it carries. I can't find anything I like better. In fact, I can't find anything else I want to carry at all now. I'm ruined. But if the man with a pump gun can be beat by a nut with a lever for sheer speed, I'd have to see it to believe it. After hearing my old buddy flame that black bear with three shots real quick I have much respect for a man who likes a pump gun.
Gotta respond to your point: speed with a pump gun....my pal and I were hunting quail down in south Texas on an old Army Air Corps abandoned runway, near Eagle Pass, some 43 years ago (yeah, I know...and yes we were using smokeless powder!). I'd bought an Ithaca M-37 pump in 20 ga from the base BX and was trying it out for the first time.

We flushed a covey and as they rose, I killed one clean over the runway, but the 2nd bird was winged,and fluttered down just over the mesquite into the high grass. Now that old runway was overrun with birds and not a few big rattlers, so we were careful stepping around the patches of prickly pear.

Watching ahead in the long grass for wing flutter from the wounded bird, I nearly stepped on a big diamondback; he was stretched out catching the early morning sun there in the grass. As I stepped forward, nearly stepping right on him, I saw him move and jumped straight up.

I guess the cold air slowed him down and he was stretched not coiled, but my pal, who was walking behind me, claims to this day that all three empties from that little 20 ga. were in the air at the same time. It's a wonder I didn't shoot my foot off in all the excitement. A good pump, with some motivation for the shucker, can really push them out! Best Regards, Rodfac
Rod, I heard both 37s and Model 12s do the "machine gun" thing occasionally in our Great Southeast Asian Learning Experience. Amazing what adrenaline AND caffeine can do for a young guy! And if a rattler on your bootlaces or a string of those greenish-white tracers right over your head doesn't start an adrenaline waterfall in your system, you don't have to worry....you're already dead.

I agree that a 99 carries much more naturally than a 760. But if you're a pump shotgunner all fall and winter and the big game thing only happens for you a couple of days a year, a 760 makes a whole lot of sense.
I've had a little experience with 3 different Remington pumps in my life. My dad had a 760 in .270 with a tip off Pachmayer (sp?) scope mount with a Redfield 6x scope on it that he shot the hell out of and as far as I know never jammed once.

He was so impressed with it that he bought a second one,also in .270 with a Bushnell Scope Chief 2.5-8 command post. This one also got hunted with a lot and never jammed either. I now have this one and my brother has the other one and both are still going strong.

In the early 90's I bought a used model 76 which was apparently a no frills version of the 760 with plain birch (I think) stock and a kind of matte bluing. It was in .30-06 and I killed quite a few deer,hogs and coyote's with it and put a LOT of rounds through it and one day I was going to pop a big nanny doe and "Click" shocked The doe stomped her foot,bugged out her eyes and stood there so I jacked a fresh cartridge in and "Click"! mad She had finally had enough and took off for a quieter place where idjits didn't make clicking noises at her.

I took it into the gun smith after trying several more times to get it to fire and it turned out that a plastic disk,spacer or the like in the pump tube had broken and was keeping the bolt from locking into battery all the way. It didn't cost much to fix and I sold it after I inherited Dad's 760 and Winny Model 88. The guy I sold it to is still shooting it with no problems.
Mesa...yep...two tours...L-19's with 5th Spl Forces the first one ...USAF FAC...used to call those green tracers "neon golf balls". Welcome home brother...Rod
Back in the 90s I saw a Savage slide action rifle in .300 Savage at a gunshow. Seller said it was a R&D gun, from a
distance it looked like a Remington 141.
Jerico--

Was it a Savage or a Remington? Ken Blauch's book on the Remington 14 & 141 talks about a R&D 141 chambered in .300 Savage. Apparently they made half a dozen in the early 1940s and then got distracted with war production.

Rod
Did not know they they made any 141's in 300 Savage. Not to say they didn't, just never heard that.

IMO The 141's are to 14's what post mil 99s are to pre mil 99s.

I would not trade a model 14 for 2 141's

IMO The 141's are to 14's what post mil 99s are to pre mil 99s.

I would not trade a model 14 for 2 141's

I agree, and I feel the same way about the Remington Model 8 semi-auto vs the Model 81. Fed-ex is bringing me one TOMORROW!

Rod

You can't even compare the 8's to the 81's.

That is like comparing a princess to a pig. grin
Yup, comparing two ugly guns ,pretty much a waste of time !!!!! crazy crazy Remintons attempt to build shoulder straddled po-go sticks !!!!!!! grin Don
Rod:

My best model 14 is a 2nd year production (1913) 4 digit serial number in 30 Remington. All original, no extra holes and with the early original wheel adjustable factory rear sight. I'd take a picture of it an post it, but I'm to lazy.

I almost fainted when the guy I bought it from said he couldn't take any less than 400 for it. crazy

They are really slick little guns. The actions feel like glass sliding on ball bearings lubricated by snot.

I'm really surprised they weren't more popular in their day, cause they are way cool.

Best pump action rifle ever made IMO
Don:

The model 8's might have been ugly, but they were pretty damn reliable.

Many an old timer swore by them.

Edit: The AK-47 ain't much to look at either wink grin
I did have a nice Remintin last year , model 14 1/2 in 44-40 with a peep sight ,90 + rifle!! traded toward a Deluxe winchester !! grin
I have been shooting a remington 760 pump for 35 years....mine will group 3 shots in 3" a 200 yards and is fast as lighting. If you like the 300 savage cartridge, as I do ( I just bought a savage 99 in that caliber) by all means buy the remington. The slide action absorbs some of the recoil during regular shooting and the 300 is not a heavy recoiling caliber...best of luck with it.
which is more desireable....300 Sav. or .35 Rem. in the 760 platform?
Depends on which one you already have.
Depends how FAR you have to shoot. If you're out west in the baldies, the .300 is MUCH better. Back East in the tick jungles, a .35 is fine. And traditional. And easier to find ammo for.

given equal condition, I'd go for the .300. It works in the woods, too.
Originally Posted by raljr1
I have been shooting a remington 760 pump for 35 years....mine will group 3 shots in 3" a 200 yards and is fast as lighting. If you like the 300 savage cartridge, as I do ( I just bought a savage 99 in that caliber) by all means buy the remington. The slide action absorbs some of the recoil during regular shooting and the 300 is not a heavy recoiling caliber...best of luck with it.

Ok, I'll bite. How can a locked breech manually operated gun "absorb" recoil?

And to all who boast about "fast as lightning" repeated shots (from any kind of gun), why is that a good feature? Are we laying down suppressing fire on the deer now? (Perhaps if one were being assailed by big herds of angry 8-pointers intent on goring us we would truly have a need for rapid fire.) I guess I was antediluvian all those years I carried a single shot!
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by raljr1

Ok, I'll bite. How can a locked breech manually operated gun "absorb" recoil?

And to all who boast about "fast as lightning" repeated shots (from any kind of gun), why is that a good feature? Are we laying down suppressing fire on the deer now? (Perhaps if one were being assailed by big herds of angry 8-pointers intent on goring us we would truly have a need for rapid fire.) I guess I was antediluvian all those years I carried a single shot!

Gary,

Do you recall reading this recently anywhere?????? gringrin grin

Nan and I fired 4 shots and had 4 dead deer.

Steve--

When are you going to post some pictures and your story from this fall's Anticosti hunt? How many notches did you cut in the stock of that pretty rifle?

Rod
Are we laying down suppressing fire on the deer now?

...now that is funny schit...you can't make that schit up!!!! laugh laugh laugh
Pretty hard to machine gun a rifle thru the woods when the hunting is buck only !!!!! i cant follow a bounding deer to make sure it has antlers ! crazy Don
Are we laying down suppressing fire on the deer now?

...now that is funny schit...you can't make that schit up!!!! laugh laugh laugh

I lost it on that one too laugh
Phil99,
It was a Savage rifle, dont remember the price on it.
This was back in the mid 90s if I remember correctly.
© 24hourcampfire