Home
I can't take credit for finding this - I got it from one of my customers.

Here is the link to the company that makes a picatinny style mount for the 99.

Mount
Sweet Jeebus your customer found em for us! Happy day.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Calhoun
[Linked Image]

I don't get that. What makes this any different than a Leupold or Redfield one piece base, except that it's more versatile in scope mounting location? Is this one of those, "If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand" kind of deals? grin

I'd like to see a reflex type sight on a 99 carbine for close quarters bear combat scenarios and it seems like that mount would make it do-able.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I don't get that. What makes this any different than a Leupold or Redfield one piece base, except that it's more versatile in scope mounting location? Is this one of those, "If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand" kind of deals? grin

I'd like to see a reflex type sight on a 99 carbine for close quarters bear combat scenarios and it seems like that mount would make it do-able.

If you have to ask.. you don't get it. grin

Stick a picatinny rail on a 99, and you're going to get folks going all tacticool on ya, and... I don't wanna see that. I've seen a few 99's done up as scout guns with the scopes way out on the barrel. It's wrong, just wrong. Picatinny rail is gonna make it worse.

If ya really, really want one.. don't make it a Savage. grin

[Linked Image]
Thank you.

I am not into any kind of tactical lever rifle crap at all but I do want high quality weaver style lever type QD rings on my .358 Savage 99 to get to irons quick in the thick stuff.

Nothing wrong with that.
Do these only fit the 99E? I'd like to try one on my '66 model 99F.
I ain't sticking one on a 1899A 30/30 for cryin out loud.

I'd like to see a reflex type sight on a 99 carbine for close quarters bear combat scenarios .

99: Close quarters combat?

Kind of like an AR-99?

What? crazy

Planet Earth to Roy:

Come in Roy...
Originally Posted by 99guy

I'd like to see a reflex type sight on a 99 carbine for close quarters bear combat scenarios .

99: Close quarters combat?

Kind of like an AR-99?

What? crazy

Planet Earth to Roy:

Come in Roy...

We have multiple perps in manzanita thickets all over my stomping grounds. laugh
hunting coyotes at night around here ,guys are using infared and night vision scopes,and they all like to mount on a picatinny rail system.They will come off as easy as they go on,not like your welding them to your favorite savage !!! grin
Mystery solved. Those mounts are not things of beauty but more so of function. And lets face it, Weaver mounts (the Picatinny's parent) on a 99 fit that category too. On most other rifles, Weaver mounts and rings aren't considered lookers. Having said that, I wouldn't turn my nose up at either as function and not beauty often wins the day.
Originally Posted by reivertom

It will fit any factory drilled 99. The ad tells me the manufacturer doesn't know diddly about the 99 lever guns but he does know how to build a mount for them.
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Originally Posted by reivertom

It will fit any factory drilled 99. The ad tells me the manufacturer doesn't know diddly about the 99 lever guns but he does know how to build a mount for them.

grin grin
Maybe I could use a picatinny to mount a peep sight.

I can see the practicality, but frankly were I to put myself in a situation where reflex sights, night vision, lights, etc. were in order I would just trick out my AR an be done with it. Or not.
I think everyone here agrees there is no place for any kind of Tacti-Cool Crap on a lever actioned rifle, and certainly not a Savage 99. The sillyness of the kids putting all of this trash on their lever rifles is based on their lack of understanding of the purpose of the design of this hunting rifle. It is the inability to think things through on their own and follow the rest of the heard. These are the sheep who's total meaning in life comes from an I-Pad.

All of that said, there is no doubt Weaver scope bases grace more Savage 99's than any other. They are made out of aluminum and the new ones have fitment issues with the 2 piece design making the issue worse.

This Savage 99 Weaver scope base is not a tactical rail. It is a solid steel American made high quality scope base that has the look of the other traditional scope bases, just slots instead of the 2 screws in the back and the rotory mount front. The fact that it is a Weaver base gives one many, many more scope ring options including different designs and ring heights from heights ultra low to ultra high and everything in between. The ability to use high quality lever rings to quickly and reliably remove and re-install the scope is a damn good feature for those who prefer open sights in the really thick chit.

I have never heard of this company before but they have gotten my first order and get my appreciation for delivering a product I have been wanting a long time. I will most likely be ordering a number of these for other Savage 99 rifles and I'll let you know how the first one pans out.

The Savage 99 in .358 IMO is about as flexible a hunting rifle you can get and a solid steel American made one piece weaver base is what this puppy needs as the recoil from 250 grain Nosler Partitions will challenge the integrity of lesser scope bases.
I've got one coming as well. $125 shipped! Wowser.
I've got one coming as well. $125 shipped! Wowser.

Let us know how it fits when you get it. One area where this mount will come in handy is in fitting many of the modern shorter tube scopes, especially compacts. The Redfield system (both the Jr. and Sr. bases) put the front ring out in front of the receiver ring. I've had this put limitations on moving some scopes back far enough to get proper eye relief. Redfield made a different version of the jr. base that was made for fitting onto non-drilled 99s, at least that's how i see it but it's my hunch they predate factory drilled guns. This base puts the front ring between the two screws and works best with shorter tube scope. Problem is you have to have a 99 that was drilled after it left the factory and most guys chagrin at the thought of owning such beasts.
A set of extension rings with the front ring turned to the back will put it nearly over the receiver ring just like the old style Redfield Jr.

The hole spacing on the old Redfield Jr. is wider too - not .5" like factory.
Yeah, I know but I'm not a fan of extension rings. Its an aesthetic thing.
Arrived today.

Made of steel, heavy.
If used on premil rifles, the base covers up half the cocked indicator pin. A small notch for the pin would need to made with a dremel Post mil rifles have the pin further back and it clears fine.

Four screws all the same length. Each was tightened individually in a premil rifle and each sucked up tight, except the front one. I had to shorten the screw a half dozen threads.

Box says Savage 99E, 0 MOA. I wonder if they offer bases for the 99 with elevation built into them for long range shooting?

Very well made base overall, but on one articular premil rifle when the front screw of the rear pair was tightened down, the base lifted off the front receiver ring slightly. It could be a variation in receivers. I don't have a dedicated need for this at the moment, I just bought it because I may make some of my own from aluminum stock and wanted to see it. Another paymt on the college education.
The one I had had been fitted to the receiver with bedding compound of some sort. I was suspicious of the fit so just left it all in place.

After finding the company that built it, I see I sold it way too cheap!
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
The one I had had been fitted to the receiver with bedding compound of some sort. I was suspicious of the fit so just left it all in place.

After finding the company that built it, I see I sold it way too cheap!

The instructions claim the product is precision made, blah blah blah. Standard boilerplate "We're awesome, at least in our own minds".

Oh, and by the way, if it doesn't fit, use two part epoxy and release agent and bed it to fit.
Mine came in today also.

Well made and ridged. Fits excellent. I wish it was 3/16" lower.

I am going to round the corners off and I may trim the front overhang off the receiver of about 1/4" off.

These will most likely replace the rotary windage adjustable mounts I have on my other 99's. I will be ordering several more after I get this on the .358 wring it out for reliability and make sure it will hold up to the task.

QD and the reliability of the weaver mount system is what I have wanted for years to fit the Savage 99.
The rear base where it contacts the rounded receiver is straight, not contoured to the receiver. It only contacts in one small spot.
I have had some time with this new mount now and while it is a quality piece, it is way too high for my needs. Needs to come down 1/4 of an inch for me to have the right cheek weld and scope and irons line up using on the custom stock I have for the .358. I am not going to a ridiculous monte carlo stock just for this scope base.

I am going to call the manufacturer and see if they can do one in super low which I doubt. If they can't, I am going back to my original plan of using a low steel rotary one piece mount with the area at the base mount holes machined as far low as possible in a slot to mount steel Warne Marlin 336 bases machined as low as possible in this slot and the screw holes line up. This will be as tight of a press fit as I can do and then they will be silver soldered to the one piece base. This should give me exactly what I want for a fraction of the price of the Farrel Picatinny mount.

Just for grins going to try it with Nikon Aluminum 336 bases and a Williams Quick Convertible Savage 99 base also. I think this would be fine with the .300 Savage and be able to use the tang screw holes for the mount in the back. I got a really nice .300 Savage with the front scope base screw holes drilled correctly but the rear two holes behind the bolt are drilled out of line and have been totally dogged out by some home gunsmith. The old school Williams mount covers this obscenity totally and turns an area that totally ruined the looks of the rifle into a very functional .300 Savage. Paid $200 for this beauty of a 99 because of this rear scope base fiasco, originally for parts only, but it shoots too damn good to part it out. You can find damn good deals on these home gunsmith scope mount specials and I seek them out for super cheap parts. While I would NEVER drill an original Savage 99 that is undrilled, I have a Forester Scope mount jig that can fix some of these problems and make a rifle serviceable again by properly aligning the screw holes. If the front two screw holes are out of alignment, not much you can do but it is typically there rear two holes that are hacked.

Will post pics in a few weeks when it is done.
© 24hourcampfire