Home
Posted By: hanco Have you shot a freak horn buck? - 09/18/23
I killed this one in my yard years ago.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
No but about forever ago my dad shot a palmated buck. Our deer tend to be small but not non-typical at all.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Shot this one behind my house about 75 yards

Rio7
Have one on the farm we have been after for a while. Five points one side and one 12" tall one side. We will get him this year. Hopefully
A couple years ago my wife shot this one. He has the bases of a big old buck but everything up above his brows is stunted. He was big bodied, had the most worn teeth I’ve ever seen on a deer, and stunk like an old Billy goat.
And we have a place about 15 miles from where that one came from that about 25 percent of the bucks grow one normal antler and the other will just be a nub. Neighbor killed one years ago that had 9 points on one huge side and a knob about like the last 3” of a shovel handle on the other. Been that way for years out there. I shot this one last fall with my bow. The short side isn’t broken, just grew that way. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Teal
No but about forever ago my dad shot a palmated buck. Our deer tend to be small but not non-typical at all.

A guy killed a palmated buck in Ozona around 77, had forgotten about that buck.
My father killed a rather unique specimen a couple of years back.

I was with my dad when he killed this creature years ago. He’s a 9x13. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by Teal

A guy killed a palmated buck in Ozona around 77, had forgotten about that buck.

Forgot about this one he got in Kansas but that's out of state, not our place so slipped my mind.

Shot this one last year. Rio7

Killed this one 3 years ago.Rio7

How about a screwed up AXIS?? Rio7

Screwed up rack, Normal 10 on the right, left side no g-1 and much smaller. Rio7

Real old buck no teeth. Rio7
Originally Posted by SKane
My father killed a rather unique specimen a couple of years back.

A buddy has one that's very similar to this one. 17 or 18 points.
Yeah, we used to have a few palmated bucks and one who had a single long spike running around the land I hunt. We started shooting them in preference to better bucks and seem to have cleared up the gene pool now. I shot one of them, had kind of a knot for one side and a very small moose antler on the other IIRC. Meat was good though.
Hole above my left hand and that side is stunted.

Originally Posted by RIO7

Rio7

Rio7

I shot one similar to this about 20 years ago.
Yep. Took this mulie off a co-worker's place in the TX Panhandle about 3 years ago.

Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Hole above my left hand and that side is stunted.

I've got one with a similar hole. I think it's from a fly larvae in the velvet. Also have an 8 point with the whole left side about half the size of the right.
My hunting partner, NMSHOOTER on here, got this one a few years ago here locally.
Like Father

Like son

Originally Posted by johna1
Like Father

Like son

That’s cool
I shot this buck with a xbow in 2016 in SW MO. European mount and had the skull bronzed

Attached picture 93B4DF0B-721E-4D70-80B0-FEBB673938C0.jpeg
Attached picture 079335C5-6099-4B06-9E5F-FF4F0A833AF0.jpeg
Have had two opportunities on freak bucks but could not close the deal.

The first opportunity was on a West TX rock outcropping trying to shoot a crazily palmated buck. A strong wind pushing up the rock face made a steady hold impossible. The wind was so strong that even though I had the sling wrapped it was vibrating like a guitar string. The only opportunity that could get the scope on vitals was a standing freehand shot & even though he was only 80 yards away I couldn’t be sure of a good shot as the barrel kept buffeting upward with the gusts coming up the rocks. He was killed on the neighboring ranch the next week and was a 6x8. The palmated sections between the “tines” were a minimum of 5” tall between the g2 and g5. The rack looked more like a moose than a whitetail.

The second opportunity was a thumper MT whitetail that had a 70+” typical 5 point rack on one side and a double main beamed mess of short tines, stickers and kickers on the other. He’d busted me and pushed a doe off a canola field and down into a deep cedar-choked draw before I had stalked to my planned intercept point. I saw him weaving his way down the canyon wall through the trees but he never offered a clean shot. I lost several nights of sleep over that one!
I shot this one a couple of years ago with a hole in his antler also.

I got this guy showing up at one of the feeders now. Hope to put an arrow in him soon.

Cool bucks fellas!
Originally Posted by KirkJ
I shot this buck with a xbow in 2016 in SW MO. European mount and had the skull bronzed

Kirk, that's about as peculiar as I've seen. And pretty cool.
Not a deer, but I got this freaky looking elk about 15 years ago. I think he'd been head butting a Mack truck. His skull was deformed.

This one had some palmation and some oddity to it (SW WI).

Man, he's a hammer Scott.
One of my buddies shot a buck where the horns went down alongside the head and there were 2 little forks below the jaw. He thought it was a doe. We never even thought about saving the head but looking back we probably should have.
I haven't shot a freak, but my BIL has:

At least I think this will qualify.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Nothing as cool as others, but this was one we wanted to get gone. No injuries were noted during skinning or butchering.
This one was a little weird.

This one was gay. He definitely had low testosterone. I think that he was a 2 1/2 yo. I thought it was a doe.

laugh

That is a nice one.

This is my son's first deer. I think that it must have been hit by a car earlier that year while the rack was growing. It had several healed up wounds on his neck as if he got beat up by a vehicle.

Attached picture fullsizeoutput_6876.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_1335.jpeg
Worlds smallest, perfectly formed typical 8 !

Rio7

I usually shoot 1 a year that resembles that on a specific place I hunt. I get 2 buck tags in that state and that spot is (generally) the only location I hunt in that state. I usually use one tag on a "good" buck and usually burn the other on one of these. I've been doing it for a long time now....probably close to 15 years. It has to be genetics. I've watched bucks I've passed be the same, just larger, the next year. Just as likely the genetics is coming from the doe side...but I can't tell which doe(s).
Originally Posted by Muffin
I haven't shot a freak, but my BIL has:

At least I think this will qualify.....

Boy!!!!! You must have had some stiff winds and he always facing the same way!!! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Thanks. It was pretty weird

Attached picture 338AD447-23FB-4FF2-B7BE-F296607F1300.jpeg

This mule deer was taken a week or so ago. His right brow tine is split though the velvet hides it, same for his right tip.

The first elk we called in hunting NE BC in 2008. I passed though a lady Stone sheep hunter wanted it and found it quite a ways from where we did.

Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Worlds smallest, perfectly formed typical 8 !

Look on the bright side, it's the ground shrink champion of the world.
This buck was a little weird. It also had a hole in the antler caused by a insect. The rifle is a Winchester Model 70 in 25 WSSM.

My most unusual rack was this Coues Deer that I killed in '00

Originally Posted by Couesdeer
My most unusual rack was this Coues Deer that I killed in '00

Nice Coues ! Congrats!
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
laugh

Roundoak?
Does mine quailify?
Phil
This one had a couple funny cheaters but the eye guards are what's funky about him.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Originally Posted by TenX
Does mine quailify?
Phil

Not only does it qualify – it wins.

GREAT buck.

YOU SUCK!!!!!!

Some heavy bone on this Buck

This buck is old enough to Vote, never shed his velvet not much quality here

Rio7
My dad shot a big heavy horned 8 or 10 pointer a few years ago that didn’t lose the velvet on about half of one antler RIO. He was an old timer too from the looks of him, any idea what causes that? Low T? 😁
Does mine quailify?
Phil

I’d give a nut to kill a buck like that
Last year, I shot a normal 8 on one side, the other side a single curved dagger 15” long. Body wise, he fried up nicely.
We have a lot of deer on our lease in AL. There are a lot of nice bucks running around and also many freaky bucks. I notice a lot of bucks that have one typical side and the other side is a forky or a spike on the other.
KID, I think old Bucks are like a lot of old Men they quit taking care of themselves, they know the girls don't pay any attention to old farts. Rio7
Boarmaster 123, We call that kind of Buck a Cull Buck, we shoot everyone we can. Rio7
TEN-X,That's a lot of bone, must be a lot of lime in the soil where you are hunting. Bet he surprised the Hell out of you. Good Job Rio7
Not mine but I took this picture.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Does mine quailify?
Phil

Yeah, I'd say it does. lol Qualifies for B&C.
RIO7- yes, he surprised me and it happened fast. Luckily I didn’t really know how good he was, just knew he was a shooter. 199 1/8. Northwest Missouri, free range
Just one. That burl was growing back into his scalp, causing an open wound. I shot him in 2005. His foreleg was lame on the opposite side.

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

When I shot him, he was chasing a herd of doe on three legs.

The rest of the story is here:

Hubert D. Buck Meets Mister Whelen
Yeah, a couple of odd-looking small ones. I don’t much care for them actually, even the monstrous ones. Much prefer a big typical rack. Even drop tines ruin the look for me.
I killed a 6 point about 10 years ago that scored in the high 130s low 140s. Brow tines, g2s, and main beams, probably top 5 biggest main frame bucks I've ever killed. If he'd have been a 10 point he would have been up there. I couldn't pass on him. Wish I knew how to post pics. Not a freak horn, but I'd say huge 6 points are rare too.
When we were in high school my buddy killed an enormous 6. He was over 20” wide and had huge bases and big mass all the way out. Just no points.

He came from far western Oklahoma and was the biggest bodied deer we’d ever saw, I think he weighed 180 something dressed. Euroed him and his skull looked like a mule’s compared to the big buck I killed that year. Didn’t have much left for teeth either, might have been his last year or maybe the last year he had much antler anyway.
I shot that 6 point off one of our farms in Western oklahoma and he was 22 inside and weighed 210 dressed. He was probably 6 or 7 years old and yes, he looks more like a mulie than a whitetail
I've taken a few over the years...some with grossly mismatched antler sizes, some with suspected injuries or breaks when in velvet, and they hardened in that oddball formation. One whitetail when in college had an obviously broken main beam but I guess the velvet held it all together and it rehardened, with the brown half dangling downward, though it had re-solidified and was in 1 piece.

The weirdest one I ever saw was on a wall in a pawn shop in Moscow Idaho. It was a smallish 4x4 mule deer, maybe 18-20 inches wide but instead of eyeguards, it grew a small basket racked 3x3 or 4x4 whitetail rack in lieu of eyeguards. This was one single rack mind you. I looked at it very closely and it wasn't some drunken redneck's idea of a joke using a saw and epoxy or whatever...it was real.
Local gent here killed a 6 pt whitetail that scored 138 IIRC. Has it all.....mass, width, tall rear tines, long main beams. Just 6 pts. I'd take him any day of the week. Those bucks with heavy massed racks trip my trigger, don't much care what the rest of the rack looks like. That 1 TenX killed is a brute. Goodness.
Originally Posted by hanco
Does mine quailify?
Phil

I’d give a nut to kill a buck like that

Trust me. It's not something you want to try.
I shot a broken fork on one side and 19" spike horn on the other . It was a weirdo !

Shot a mulie that had 4 drop tines that were in a row when he looked at you. Personal best so far. Shot a 2yo wt buck that had a single horn the curved to make a perfect dragging handle. I was told it looked like Elliot from some cartoon movie that had deer in it. It was handy dragging him out.
Yep. Also tending a doe on three legs.

First bull elk I ever guided a client to had about 135" 6-point on one side and just a slick sword for the other. Right after he shot him, the big brother came and stood broadside in front of us much closer for a longer while. Hunter kept asking me if he should 'shoot him again.' Took all my self-control to say no.

Attached picture FreakHorn Small.jpeg
Yes

I am fortunate enough to pretty much to choose which buck i will kill out of a group of about 8 or 9 different ones that hang around my house every year. I passed on the largest Blacktail buck, I have ever seen a few years ago while it was standing not far from my back porch. A few days later I took a two point on one side and 4 on the other. A couple more of similar quality have also gone into my freezer. This year I will be after one with a 3 inch spilke on one side and 3 points on the other. As mentioned above I believe that the bigger and larger bucks produce bigger and better deer, of both sexes.
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Yes

Good to see you back, Brd !
This one looks like he will qualify, hoping to get a look first hand in December.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
257Bob, Looks like he qualify s to me GOOD LUCK Rio7
RIO7, I agree but I'm not the gunner this year, didn't draw in KS. My son and good friend will do the shooting with me as host/guide (family owns the land). We'll see what they come up with when December rolls around.
The goat-buck

My first whitetail taken in 1974 had a heavily palmated 11pt. rack and weighed 254# field dressed. Came from Aroostook County, Maine. It still holds the camp record as the heaviest buck ever taken there.
Daughter got this guy the other day. The drop club is loose and still growing, soft and full of blood still while the other side has hardened and shed. Dunno if he was ever gonna drop and regrow if if it would just keep growing. Dunno but he dead now

Originally Posted by huntinaz
Daughter got this guy the other day. The drop club is loose and still growing, soft and full of blood still while the other side has hardened and shed. Dunno if he was ever gonna drink and regrow if if it would just keep growing. Dunno but he dead now

Congrats to the young lady!
8x3 not counting multiple eyeguards.
© 24hourcampfire