Home
Posted By: wildwyo Nevada elk draw odds? - 04/02/12
I have been thinking about putting in for the Non-Res elk draws in Nevada. I was wondering if any of the guys around the campfire have had any luck drawing non-res tags there, and how long you put in before you were sucsesfull? It looks like it could get expensive to draw a tag if it takes 10 years to draw.
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Nevada elk draw odds? - 04/02/12
You can look up the statisics on their website. E
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Nevada elk draw odds? - 04/02/12
I have 10 for elk and my hunting partner has at least 15 with no luck yet...but you could get lucky and draw the first year!
Posted By: macrabbit Re: Nevada elk draw odds? - 04/03/12
A couple of years ago I got a tag with 6 points. IIRC, even with 6 my odds were only 5%.
You bet your sweet bippie the point game gets expensive! Especially having to buy the non-res license each year, for the privilege of applying for a point.
But I sure enjoyed the hunt. smile
Posted By: wildwyo Re: Nevada elk draw odds? - 04/03/12
Thanks for the replies fellas. It looks like it will be an expensive procsess, I had looked ay the draw odds and they seemed pretty grim. I am trying to look at some different elk hunting opportunities for the future. It's starting to get tough for a resident in Wyoming to draw a bull tag in a limited quota area.
Posted By: Elkmen Re: Nevada elk draw odds? - 04/03/12
I have been thinking about putting in for the Non-Res elk draws in Nevada. I was wondering if any of the guys around the campfire have had any luck drawing non-res tags there, and how long you put in before you were sucsesfull? It looks like it could get expensive to draw a tag if it takes 10 years to draw.

I have 5 PP in Nevada, its actually not that expensive compaired to other states. Montana for example requires you to apply for a license, then reapply for a tag. I think Wyoming and NM are the cheapest, however NM is cutting back on non-resident tags, and Wyomings draw odds also suck in the trophy units. Oregon and Idaho both require the purchase of a license.
Posted By: jlboykin Re: Nevada elk draw odds? - 04/03/12
One good thing about Nevada is that you only have to buy a license evert other year. That is of course, unless they made a chance I don't know about.
Originally Posted by jlboykin
One good thing about Nevada is that you only have to buy a license evert other year. That is of course, unless they made a chance I don't know about.
Thats interesting, how does that work?
I think Wyoming and NM are the cheapest, however NM is cutting back on non-resident tags, and Wyomings draw odds also suck in the trophy units. [/quote]

I'd be curious as to which trophy units that your trying to draw in Wyoming? Most of the late bull hunts around the park aren't what they used to be. PM me if you wish, There are a couple of areas that I know of that you can draw with a couple of preference points that have good potential.
Posted By: SwampCritter Re: Nevada elk draw odds? - 04/03/12
Drew a NR bull elk tag a few years ago with 1 point... u never know
Posted By: logcutter Re: Nevada elk draw odds? - 04/03/12
There are some huge Elk down in the corner connecting to Idaho...

Jayco
Posted By: logcutter Re: Nevada elk draw odds? - 04/03/12
Sad but true...

CARSON CITY -- Larry and Marty Hall had two massive bull elk sighted in their rifle scopes. A boom from one gun, then another, echoed across the rugged landscape along the Nevada-Idaho line.

One animal, with a majestic six-by-six antler rack, was dead. The other, a six-by-four, was mortally wounded.

Neither Larry nor his son Marty had a tag to hunt elk.

But Larry's buddy, Frank Koski, did. Koski took back his rifle from Larry and finished off the wounded bull. The trio and Frank's two sons, John and Andrew, then hauled out the now-tagged animal with an ATV, leaving the other to rot.

Jayco
Posted By: jlboykin Re: Nevada elk draw odds? - 04/03/12
Edited
Posted By: macrabbit Re: Nevada elk draw odds? - 04/03/12
That may well work; the license is good for 365 days from date of issue.
I've never dared to play that game, lest something go wrong or the Dept. deny my app for lack of a current-year license. And I'll continue to be timid, what with the value in the draw of being rich in points.

Do you buy your license late (close to the draw date), so that you have plenty of time during the next app period to consider and plan if going for a tag is in the cards that year?
Posted By: jlboykin Re: Nevada elk draw odds? - 04/04/12
Edited
Posted By: Elkmaster Re: Nevada elk draw odds? - 04/04/12
Jlboykin, Just courious how many points you have after 6 years, hopefully you've checked what they have on record.
Posted By: jlboykin Re: Nevada elk draw odds? - 04/04/12
Looks like I have to retract what I've written. Went back through my records and I've been buying a license every year. Sorry for the confusion, I'm going to edit my previous posts.
Posted By: BigFin Re: Nevada elk draw odds? - 04/04/12
I drew as an NR with seven points. Lots of points help, but there is still a chance, no matter how many points you have. Unless of course, you don't apply.
Posted By: macrabbit Re: Nevada elk draw odds? - 04/04/12
Even if you haven't jockeyed so, the theory still [maybe] works. I've been aware of that gambit for several years; though, as I wrote, I don't risk it.

(And bravo for being on the up-and-up about your posts. Pride could have kept you from the admission, with no one the wiser. You get a GoodGuy mark from me.)
© 24hourcampfire