Home
Posted By: 41rem Lightweight Upper AR15 - 04/21/24
Looking for a 16" pencil barrel upper that shoots decent & doesn't cost a ton. Any suggestions?

Posted By: kwg020 Re: Lightweight Upper AR15 - 04/21/24
Del ton. I have a 16" lightweight barrel mounted on a polymer lower. It makes for a really nice light weight package.

https://www.del-ton.com/AR-15-16-Mid-Length-LW-Barrel-p/bl1088f-bo.htm

kwg
Posted By: Dons99 Re: Lightweight Upper AR15 - 04/21/24
FWIW my Del-Ton's won't keep up with my DD but are way more accurate than my one and only PSA
Posted By: Flashdog Re: Lightweight Upper AR15 - 04/21/24
I assembled a lightweight knock around AR using one of the Bushmaster uppers CDNN advertises for $149. It shoots about as well as I can hold with the Leupold 2.5x ultralite scope.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Lightweight Upper AR15 - 04/24/24
My CDNN BM LW was so so in the accuracy dept. Sold it!
Posted By: cotis Re: Lightweight Upper AR15 - 04/26/24
Faxon
Posted By: Darryle Re: Lightweight Upper AR15 - 04/26/24
Originally Posted by cotis
Faxon

Multiple versions of the 1" pencil and everyone of them shoot as good or better than me, for 1 - 3 rds consecutively and then all bets are off. They heat up fast.
Posted By: cotis Re: Lightweight Upper AR15 - 04/27/24
Originally Posted by Darryle
Originally Posted by cotis
Faxon

Multiple versions of the 1" pencil and everyone of them shoot as good or better than me, for 1 - 3 rds consecutively and then all bets are off. They heat up fast.

I built a lightweight upper for coyote hunting using a 16” Faxon pencil. I agree with you, after 3 rounds it heats up quick and starts to wonder. But the first two shots are always in the correct place for me, the coyotes hate it. I bought mine from their booth at the 2017 NRA show in Atlanta.
Posted By: grvj Re: Lightweight Upper AR15 - 05/04/24
Faxon 16" Gunnar Wylde barrel mid length on Aero precision (or Comparable) with MagPul SL front handguard. Used .625 gas block with picatinny on top with metal BUIS sight. Mounted Magpul paraclip loop on bottom of grip all the way forward so sling can move to either side.

Easy to move, light, shoots anything.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Lightweight Upper AR15 - 05/04/24
I've used a couple of Wilson Comabt SS barrels & they are very good especially so, when bought on sale for $148.

Finished well, clean well & accurate but just a tad over gassed though they are intermediate length gas, so best to use an AGB.

There are lighter barrels if you look hard but at 23 oz, it's light & a little stiffer than some lighter barrels.

Needs Wilson's proprietary length gas tube.

MM

https://wilsoncombat.com/barrel-5-56-nato-ranger-16-round-sta
© 24hourcampfire