Home
Just before winchester started making classic stainless models they made a pushfeed stainless synthetic I bought one new way back when it’s an excellent shoote.. killed many a fine buck with it I’m getting the itch to send it to jes for a 35 whelen rebore to 35 whelen Would you??? I know it’s not a collector like a classic But I’ve seen a lot more classics than I have push feeds like this one What’s your take on it??
What caliber is it now?
I would leave it as is, no rebore
Plus the above question, as: What's the estimated cost of the re-bore package versus putting such funds toward an investment in some rifle of your choice in the - admittedly not widely available - Whelen? A lot of non-collector used hunting rifles haven't caught up with the inflation curve as Gunsmithing service costs necessarily have! I'd shop & do a WTB of exactly the gun you might reasonably wish. In such a classic Springfield or mauser milsurp sporter well done would be my choice!
Just my 'fun vista of possibilities' take!
Best & good luck!
John
Currently a 30-06 May just look for a scrub model 70 or 700 somewhere and go from there and leave this one alone
I've never rebored a rifle but have rebarreled a few. Ended up with a LOT more in to them than another rifle would have cost. Just something to think about 🤔.
You wouldn’t regret a JES rebore. I’ve had quite a few done at this point and all have shot great. I would prefer to get them stamped by someone else. My only complaint from his work.
Re bore .... a guy always needs a project.

Plenty of M 70 .06's.
Posted By: WMR Re: Your thoughts on this model 70 - 04/27/24
Go for it. It’s good gun. Not particularly collectible. Life is short. Scratch the itch!
Originally Posted by Live2hunt941
Just before winchester started making classic stainless models they made a pushfeed stainless synthetic I bought one new way back when it’s an excellent shoote.. killed many a fine buck with it I’m getting the itch to send it to jes for a 35 whelen rebore to 35 whelen Would you??? I know it’s not a collector like a classic But I’ve seen a lot more classics than I have push feeds like this one What’s your take on it??

It's not a "collector": Better rethink that notion. I'd use a different rifle, and not mess that one up. They did not make many of them. Your choice though. There are plenty of cheap model 70's out there, just begging for a rebore.
© 24hourcampfire