Originally Posted by Outbackandy
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I would suggest a 1.4 fluid tip with what ever gun you choose, unless it's a sata, then step down to a 1.3.

Sata prints 1.3 on the fluid tip but if you measure it, its actually a 1.5. Everybody else sizes their fluid nozzles as advertised, but the satas for some reason oversize their fluid nozzles. My "1.3" measures slightly over 1.5 mm.

That's why the new satas "seem to throw a lot of paint"

It's not air science or anything magical, the Germans are simply printing 1.3 on a 1.5 fluid tip. Lol

Thanks Dave on the infor on what fluid tip to use, I'm going with the Tekna copper set 1.3 & 1.4 with cup for $407.00 at amazon I can't go wrong.
I'll be doing the auto painting in Arizona so that should be fun to try.

Another big thing is air delivery to these new guns. I think your tekna will probably come with a regulator to attach at the gun inlet. I'm a big believer in running 100-150 psi right up to the gun, then regulate down to your desired pressure with the trigger pulled. A good regulator is the RTI MR1. it is the very same as Iwata AK 1R2 but the Iwata sells for about 15-20 dollars more.

Also run the Milton V type connections, they are the high flow ones. Everything else in my shop is the M style, but my paint guns are V style and my paint booth hose stays in my paint booth.

These guns will perform amazingly with basically full line pressure to the gun and stepping down the psi at the inlet. All of the new guns have larger air holes in the air cap, hvlp have the biggest, that is where this full line pressure really helps out, it still helps the RP's, the "compliant" and what ever other names they choose to give their tweener guns which are the "barely legal" guns. lol.

Besides sufficient air volume, the air hose will be hard to accidentally pinch off while spraying. Back when I used to regulate pressure at the booth wall, a lot of these guns call for air pressures ranging from 12 to 30 psi. That makes for a squishy air hose that is easy to accidentally pinch off. I've stepped on the hose before, knelt on it, I pinched the hose between my calf and thigh while kneeling to spray a rocker... That's bad, causes a gun spit. Full line pressure and you can step on that hose and it wont effect a thing.

Something clever here.