Originally Posted by xphunter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
this is a hunting forum last time I looked. most big game hunting scopes max out around 12-15x in power. the question is why would you be coming off max power if your going to make a long range shot? if that is the power range your working with. That is not enough scope power to need to dial down from it. now if we are talking high power 6-24 or greater scopes I see your point. with the scope range I talk about above, you will get a sucky reticle in low light on low power and the hash marks will not be usable anyways. at least with SFP the reticle is usable. just crank to max if shooting beyond 300 yards, which a guy would probably want to do anyways even if cranking the turret.

I did make my 16 pound rifle comment as somewhat serious. look at all the 34 mm tubes your seeing and chassis rifles. pretty soon its going to be 40mm scope tubes because you know bigger is better. add in a 6# chassis system. Yes all for guys who walk 50 yards from their truck and never shoot out in the field.

When I hunt, I typically keep my magnification at a lower power (Not always the lowest power), so if something pops up close, I am ready to go at a lower magnification with a greater field of view.
Many guys who have used traditional BDC reticle in SFP, do the same thing, then when an animal shows up at longer distance, they FORGET to turn their scope to either the highest power or to a specific power, so that the subtensions of their reticle will be correct and then they either miss or wound animal.

This has happened to a lot of folks in the field when under pressure to make a shot on game.

Yup, seen it myself more than once.