Originally Posted by UnderMountain
I'm setting up a Kimber Montana in .260 Remington. This rifle is going to be used on New England whitetails at ranges under 300 yards, with most shots in the 75-150 yard range. But--I do occasionally jump deer in the woods at very close range, so the ability to get a quick accurate shot off is also of importance. I'm pretty much set and forget as far as adjustments in the field, so the CDL turret is probably something I don't need (but never tried one so who knows?). I really like the VX3 1-75-6 and have had good experiences with older Leupold 2.5-8 models. Those scopes seem pretty much unobtainable now so I thought I'd go new with one of the scopes in the title. I like saving money, but Are the new Leupolds as good or possibly better than the discontinued versions? Anyone have experience or advice to offer?

From what I see Leupold is headed down a dark road with their current line of scopes ...they look cheap they have too many bells and whistles on them.

Leupold will never compete with the top line Swarovski or Schmidt and Bender scopes the market is small and the top two are going to be hard to beat....Leopold isn't capable.

Leupold should have stuck to their proven line of scopes....VXII and VXIII.

Last one I bought was a Leupold VXIII 1&3/4 to 5 with an elevation turret on top...I didn't need the turret crap but it was either buy it like that or go used. I noticed it was discontinued and I went ahead and bought one. Seems like a nice scope I'm just not crazy about the dial on top.

Only reason I haven't sold it is because I don't like to take a beating on a scope plus I might come up.with something to put it on.

To answer your question I would diffinetly go Leupold used.