Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I pulled the alternator out of the 97 4Runner this morning. They are pricey. I am replacing it with another Denso. Cheapest I found was Rock Auto. 190 with tax delivered. Probably won’t bother sending the core back. It is a 30 buck discount but at least 10 bucks to send it back.

Anybody use Rock Auto Parts on a regular basis? Good company? I like OEM parts for my 4Runners and usually get them with an online order discount from my dealer and no shipping.

What normally goes bad on those alternators is the voltage regulator on the back... I've had them fail after a zillion miles on them. We just replaced the voltage regulator on the back of them at a cost of $10 to $15, ad they've been ready to go once again. On my 88 4 Runner, with 590K on it.. ( original moto , 22RE), I did that at 250,000 & 500,000 miles on it....close to 600K on that vehicle.. My cost on keeping the vehicle's alternator running since 1988, has been $40 in repair, replacing the voltage regulator twice.

Same thing on the 4 or so Camrys I've had in the last 30 plus years.

The voltage regulator is all that has gone out. and its an easy bolt off bolt on repair.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez