Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Can anyone tell me whether you pay a lot less for a female lion? If the female does more of the hunting than the male, and if they are more ferocious (not clear on this point), then I'd rather shoot a female. A mane is neither here nor there for me, notwithstanding that they do look nice. Must be free-range, non-export is ok if it's less expensive. Thanks for any information.

Lioness is a lot less expensive, when/if available. In a lot of places they are not on license.

As for the relative ferocity and hunting ability, the Disney naturalists have sold Americans and the world a myth. Males participate in the hunt as much as females, moreso when the dominant game species are larger ones such as Cape buffalo and wildebeest.

Also: the risk of being attacked by a female vs a male is sometimes higher, depending on circumstances. Females with cubs of any species are touchy and quick to take offense, more likely to tear you up first and then ask your business after you're dead. Same as grizzlies, etc.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars