Originally Posted by Chez
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Has anyone been firing a lot of +P ammo in it? Ruger uses MEM manufacturing to keep the price down. And there seems to be a lot of people with that same weapon with the same problems. Though thats the first I've seen with the case that screwed up. Don't think its an ejection problem. Send it back to Ruger with the brass and photos.

Phil
I'm not an MIM fan, although proponents say it's as strong as cast or milled steel. I'm not so sure.

And, I'm not sure what MIM part failed, to produce the OP's issue. And I agree with you; I've never seen that before.

To me the best explanation is the firing pin staying out too long, gouging the primer as the barrel drops down, unlocking the action. It seems the primer is scooped out by the protruding firing pin. I bet the scooped out part is at 12:00, at the top of the round. May be hard to prove that after the empty case has been ejected.

To the OP, let us know what you find and how you fix it.

Curious.

DF

Edited to add, what if the OP marked the round with a magic marker, chambered the round, positioning the mark at 12:00, fired the round and observed if the gouged out part corresponds to the 12:00 mark. Bet it does.

That would be good info for Ruger to know. I'd like to know that, too.

What is MIM or MEM?

I thought about marking the case and its a good idea, I'll polish today and get out to shoot again early next week
Metal Injection Molding (MIM) is a newer process of making small metal parts. Google for better explanation.

Reported to be as strong as milled/cast, I’ve had MIM parts break. I’m not that impressed.

Not sure MIM failure caused your issue. Not sure how many MIM parts Ruger uses and in the SR 1911.

DF