Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by gunzo
I'd appreciate a follow up when info is leaned & what type of engine failure it was.

Thinking more about this, testing companies generally test the parts per million of metals in the oil, knowing what might be normal wear, or excessive. They also can check for things like anti-freeze or abnormal amounts of water.
But realized they could at least check oil viscosity, or you could do that yourself with a viscosity cup available on line for about 7 bucks along with some youtube instruction.

Otherwise, checking the oil for the correct additives that you engine requires & would certainly be a question for the tester.

Doesn't viscosity change depending on temp and age of the oil? Thicken/thin etc - soon as UOA comes back with results that aren't EXACTLY what's on the bottle - you've kicked off a fire storm with the consumer I'd think. People suing the Jiffy Lube, suing the oil mfg etc.

Yes it does change. That's why oils have specs for different temps. SUS, "saybolt universal seconds", flow rate at various temps. And I've just about reached the limits of my memory. So I'll stop.

But a tester should be able to ball park the oil weight. Diesels seem to like 15-40 Shell Rotella for instance, as opposed to a 0-5 wt. that was meant to go into the Yota hybrid being serviced in the next bay, is my ballpark point.

But all speculation. OP hasn't divulged the stats of the engine before it "done blowed up" A raged out motor that's been abused & has 250K on it, or a late model with 50K & easy livin. To me, the former wouldn't be worth the shipping to send an oil sample. The later? hell yeah, I'd want to know if the mechanic did their job.