Originally Posted by flintlocke
Lot of wives tales of weakness in '93's and '95's...and they are just that, wives tales. Good strong actions but poor gas escape abilities.
I have sporterized a few for customers, no reported problems at all. One old gentleman insists I handload for his 1895 Loewe, so I do so.
139 gr Hornadys or 145 gr Speers over 42 gr of IMR 4895 is very accurate. I chopped his barrel to 25", but it still gets about 2700 which he likes because it doesn't bloodshot meat.
Watch the internal capacity of some brass, Federal for instance, you may need to back off a grain or so.

i have a sporterized '16 Spanish Mauser ('93 Mauser look-a-like) that my gunsmith put on a Numrich 6.5x55 barrel. i gave that one to my youngest son and he thinks it great. i loaded 120gr Nosler BT and a medium load of IMR4350 that goes about 2700fps and he kills deer with it. the '16 Spanish Mauser does have a hole that gas can escape, but i never tried it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

i have another '16 Spanish that needs to rebarreled to the 257 Roberts. i have a '95 Chilean Mauser action too. i have a sporterized '91 Argentine Mauser with a Lyman aperture sight in 7.65x53. also i have a Husqvarna m46 ('96 Swedish Mauser) in 9.3x57.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".