Friend of mine picked up a four screw model 17 at a local gun show. Gun shoots great in single action mode, but only goes off part time in double action. Tried different ammo with the same results. He replaced the hammer spring and strain screw because it looked like someone had ground on the spring trying to lighten it. Still did not fire every time in double action. Looking close at the firing pin it looks like it's flattened out slightly so I suggested me get a hold of S&W and order a new one. He calls S&W and the lady tells him "I would suggest you contact Jack First or Numrich Arms". What the heck. You mean you can't order a firing pin from S&W anymore? I told him to contact Brownell's, but he went on vacation and hasn't called them yet. Told him I would look into it to try and help. Any of you guys experience anything along these lines? Have also read that the new 17's use MIM parts so I don't know if they are compatible with the older 17's. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. BCM