Perhaps you can help me find my new .22 LR? I have been using a BSA Martini action for years and years as my target rifle. I have been using a Marlin M39A Mountie as my squirrel rifle, but I am going to give that to my nephew for Christmas (I gave him my pre-64 Model 94 .30-30 for his birthday, so he will need a lever action .22 for practice and squirrels). I want to get a high-quality bolt action .22 LR. I am having a very hard time picking out the right one. Part of my issue is that I haven't ever had to ship for a .22. My dad gave me the Marlin when I was 5. My budget is $500-$600 for the rifle. I could be persuaded to go higher, but part of my problem has been getting acclimatized to current rifle prices. Some things seem to be about the same price they were 20 years ago. Other things are astronomically high. I recognize that the almighty dollar doesn't stretch as far as it once did, but I have been picking up very nice centerfire hunting rifles for less than the prices I see on many .22 LRs.

I am very partial to older rifles with nice wood and blued steel. I plan to mount a scope on it, so iron sights are not a necessity. I don't want a single shot. I want at least five round magazine capacity. I am looking for a hunting and plinking rifle. I'd prefer something that looks nice, but has some signs of honest use. I am right-handed.

Rifles I have been considering, in no particular order, include:

Browning T-Bolt - one of the old ones made in Belgium. I have several FN Commercial Mausers.
Sako 54 - I have a Sako .243 and I love it.
CZ 457 - are there other CZ models that are "better?" My older brother loves CZs, but I have never had a bolt-action CZ.

Are there any others that I should be adding to the mix? Are any of the three above particularly "better" in some way than the others? Thank you for any opinions or assistance you can offer.

Last edited by Q_Sertorius; 04/18/24.