Originally Posted by drop_point
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by drop_point
One won't take 100 shots in a sitting in an actual hunt. One can say you shoot 100 yards in a day or two at a match, but that isn't done with a .300 Winchester Magnum. Recoil causes fatigue..

That's the real rub for me on the whole deal. Anything that I hunt big-game with recoils enough that I wouldn't want to shoot it 50 times in a day, let alone 100. Even an 8#-9# 243Win/6Creed would get to be a great plenty as you closed in on 50 rounds.

I didn't see the 100 rounds in a day as something intended to be a hunting simulation. I saw it as a test of the shooter's ability in various field conditions.

But yeah, 100 rounds of 300WinMag, sporter weight rifle, no brake, no rear bag, getting scoped on the first shot, and a 100 yard zero, that was not........what could possibly go wrong (grin).

You aren't really testing their ability is my biggest gripe. The barrel is going to be hot causing flyers, the barrel is going to likely have major fouling which degrades accuracy, and the shooter is going to become recoil shy. You're right, what could go wrong?

All true. And the shooter chose the rifle knowing what the course of fire would consist of. That in itself tells a lot.