Originally Posted by BreakinClays
I can concur about the filthiness of Longshot. I've used it in 12 and 20 gauge and it leaves a lot of powder particulate in the barrel.

I find the primary advantage of Longshot is that you can make a 12 gauge 1 1/2 ounce field load in a 2 3/4 hull and that it is generally available for purchase these days.

Otherwise, I agree to investigate alternatives. I'll be looking into 20/28 as well for my 20 gauge needs.

As far as data, the Hodgdon Reloading Data Center can tell you the GD, BD, Longshot, and other powders they make. Nothing on 20/28, even though they distribute it.

Thanks!

My 12 gauge sizemaster has had the same bar and bushing in it for 20 years. I only do my pheasant loads on it and buy my target loads. It's set for 1.5 ounces of #5 and Longshot with an aa red wad in an sts case. It might be a bit dirty but it's extremely effective on pheasants. I don't remember the charge weight but it's about 1280 fps muzzle. I tried faster 1.25 ounce loads but they didn't pattern as well.

Now that I'm loading 20 gauge I'll likely end up loading a pheasant load in 20. I've just been doing light loads for the kids. I need to work up a field load for this fall. I figured I'd try 1 ounce with Longshot and see how it does. I carry a 20 in the field now because that's what my kids carry. I suppose a 7/8 ounce 20 gauge load probably works fine for pheasant too so maybe I'll try those. I loaded some 3/4 ounce #7s for the kids to hunt with but they practice with a 5/8 ounce 1150 fps load I worked up myself. I don't think the 3/4 ounce load will bug them in the field.

Bb