Bird Watching Magazine (UK) Reviews The New Meopta Meostar B1 8x32

in the December edition of Bird Watching magazine (UK) David Chandler puts the new MeoStar 8x32 through its paces.

Overall verdict...

"A very nicely put together binocular which delivers a very good view via some lovely ergonomics. Try them alongside the acknowledged �top-gun� 8x32s. Then compare the prices. This Meostar could be a neo-star"

This is a small, lightweight binocular that felt very good in my hands. The aluminium alloy body is covered in green rubber armour, with some stippling to improve grip and with thumb indents underneath. The thumb indents were well-positioned.

Build quality feels and looks impressive, and given Meopta�s history of manufacturing for the military, I suspect this binocular can take some abuse. It�s stuffed full of nitrogen, is waterproof and fogproof and will work from -45�C to +55�C � adequate for most bird watching!

The moving bits are good too. Dioptre adjustment is via a click-stopped, uncalibrated wheel on the focuser. It offers three dioptres of adjustment in either direction, works well and couldn�t be moved inadvertently once set.

The rubber-covered eyecups have a good action, twisting up and down to three positions.

Focusing is smooth and precise, with moderate resistance. The 1.5-finger-wide-ridged focusing wheel provides good grip, even with gloves on, though it sometimes stuck at closest focus. It takes about 1.5 clockwise turns from up close to infinity, but for most birdwatching you won�t need to move it more than 60-70�.

The package includes a strap like no other, and that�s not a criticism. It�s wide, and neoprene, with lumps on the neck side, added to increase airflow and reduce the sweatiness of your neck! Strap attachment is simple, the lugs don�t get in the way and the binoculars hang well. However, it�s reasonably hefty, and may be more than you really need for these.

So are the innards as good as the outers? Meopta use cold coating on their lenses, rather than vacuum coating, which means you can put more, thinner layers on. Silver is used for the mirrored prism surface � this isn�t �di-electric state of the art�, but does a very good job.

The view is impressive and bears comparison with the acknowledged top names. It is wide, very sharp and bright, with just a hint of a yellow cast, but nothing to be concerned about.

Contrast is good, and, hand held with a resolution chart, the Meoptas resolved similarly to an 8x32 from one of the �big four�. I tried hard to find some colour fringing, but found very little, certainly nothing that put me off. They did well in low light and have very good close-focus � I could get them down to just under 1.7m. Eye-relief is quoted as 15.4mm.

I did find some edge softness, but don�t go looking for it � the normal way to use binoculars is to put the bird in the middle!

The accessories are well made, but the rainguard locks on to the eyepieces and can be a real pain to get off � I�d change it.

The case is too big � I�d find an alternative.

The tethered objective covers hang by a thread, literally, so the covers don�t flap up over the lenses. It works, but they can be removed and that�s what I would do.

Design and ease of use (out of 10) 9
Optical rating 9
Value for money 9.5

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984