Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I think the new standards are the result of the medical profession's realization that most people are not going to take the chance of putting their mouth on someone else's unless they REALLY care about them.

Nope. It is more because the studies prove that the blood has enough oxygen to make CPR effective for several minutes without the breathing, and, in reality, if you have not "fixed" the reason you have no pulse for several minutes, it doesn't matter anyhow. (Cold water drowning being a huge exception, but that is because of the hypothermic effect and the decreased oxygen demands)

FWIW, I am a rapid response team nurse at a 700 bed hospital in Minneapolis. Your mileage may vary, but my mileage includes doing CPR over 200 times.

If you can't shock them out of a lethal rhythm or pace them out of a symptomatic bradycardia, all the CPR in the world is just going to make you tired. They changed a lot more than the CPR with the last revision of ACLS......

goalie's right. Medical research won't give a lot of credence to personal feelings regarding CPR procol(s). It has to be based on research and data collected over a period of time, comparing methods. It's the data that dictate the final product, not concern about people not wanting to do mouth to mouth CPR.

DF

Goalie's not really right. I'm not up on the current High School or Friends and Family curriculium, but the BLS HeartSaver and BLS Health Care version still train rescue breaths with compressions.

AHA has said It's better for someone who is not trained at all to at least give compression and no breaths than nothing at all. They believe that fear of mouth to mouth reduces the number of untrained people to give CPR. That's the original point brought up.

One other change in current training is to set the mask to the side when doing CPR when not doing breaths. During compressions there is some exchange of oxygen. Covering the mouth would reduce that exchange. Science is showing breathing to be less important than in the past, but it's still one of the main pillars of CPR.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>