Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bobinpa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have 2 M70s that I would like to compare and understand the differences of:
Gun #1 is a M70 stainless, CRF, serial number G360XXX. This gun does not say stainless classic on the barrel. Serial number puts DOM in 2001.
Gun #2 is a M70 stainless, CRF, serial number G384XXX. This gun does say stainless classic on the barrel. Serial number puts DOM in 2002 or later.

What is the difference, if any, other than the stamp on the barrel calling it a classic?

Thank you

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No difference at all just don't have classic on the barrel. But minor changes were made during the run of classics from the safety being held in place by a screw to later being pinned on. A lot of folks prefer the screw over the pinned style safety. Some folks think any classic made after sn 350,000 are garbage, this has to do with safety change. I seen some late classics with the traditional red but pad instead off the black pachmyr pad.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
They are both classic model 70's. The ones that are not considered "classic"are the ones made by baco from 2008-present.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
bobinpa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the info..... So basically they were making a classic before someone had the bright idea to call it a classic? There is no mechanical difference in the 2 guns I described?

TRUMP 2020
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bobinpa
Thanks for the info..... So basically they were making a classic before someone had the bright idea to call it a classic? There is no mechanical difference in the 2 guns I described?

Typically it's the earlier ones that are stamped classic. Not like yours where the later one is marked classic. And no mechanical difference at all.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

No, the name came out in 1992 when they brought the crf back. Since that time period, they were called classics. Up until 2006, when winchester shut down.

[Linked Image]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Somebody please sell me a stainless Classic in .243!

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

No, the name came out in 1992 when they brought the crf back. Since that time period, they were called classics. Up until 2006, when winchester shut down.

[Linked Image]

Those stainless push feeds featured in that advertisement were a very very short run. I think only made in 92 and Winchester stopped production and went to crf stainless classics.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The reason for the picture, was to show the name "classic" down next to the featherweight rifle pictured. It was also rifle of the year in 92. Op sounded confused, as to when and why they were called "classic".

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by 79S
No difference at all just don't have classic on the barrel. But minor changes were made during the run of classics from the safety being held in place by a screw to later being pinned on. A lot of folks prefer the screw over the pinned style safety. Some folks think any classic made after sn 350,000 are garbage, this has to do with safety change. I seen some late classics with the traditional red but pad instead off the black pachmyr pad.

I thought the safety was always pinned in, even on Pre '64. Isn't it the Firing Pin Stop Screw that was replaced by a pin?

FWIW, I have:
Stainless Featherweight .270 Win, #G72xxx (1993?). Barrel is marked - CLASSIC STAINLESS -
Stainless BOSS .300 Win Mag, #153xxx (1995?). Barrel is marked - CLASSIC STAINLESS BOSS -
Barrel markings have the "dashes" and are all capital letters.

Both have a Firing Pin Stop Screw. Both are controlled round feed.

Best,
Gun Doc

Last edited by GunDoc7; 08/04/18.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
IC B3

B
bobinpa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
The reason for the picture, was to show the name "classic" down next to the featherweight rifle pictured. It was also rifle of the year in 92. Op sounded confused, as to when and why they were called "classic".

Thanks for the info, but you're correct, I am still a little confused. The 2 guns that I mentioned in my original post both appear to be classics, however, only the later gun is stamped classic. As I understand what you are saying and according to the pic you posted, is that all model 70s after 1992 were called classics, but they didn't start stamping "classic" on the barrel until 2002ish. Is this correct? In 1992, what did they do to the action to make it different other than the CRF?
Thanks again!

TRUMP 2020
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Thanks for the info, but you're correct, I am still a little confused. The 2 guns that I mentioned in my original post both appear to be classics, however, only the later gun is stamped classic. As I understand what you are saying and according to the pic you posted, is that all model 70s after 1992 were called classics, but they didn't start stamping "classic" on the barrel until 2002ish. Is this correct? In 1992, what did they do to the action to make it different other than the CRF?
Thanks again!

Not all model 70's made after 92 were classics. They were also stamped "classic" before 2002.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Originally Posted by 79S

I thought the safety was always pinned in, even on Pre '64. Isn't it the Firing Pin Stop Screw that was replaced by a pin?

FWIW, I have:
Stainless Featherweight .270 Win, #G72xxx (1993?). Barrel is marked - CLASSIC STAINLESS -
Stainless BOSS .300 Win Mag, #153xxx (1995?). Barrel is marked - CLASSIC STAINLESS BOSS -
Barrel markings have the "dashes" and are all capital letters.

Both have a Firing Pin Stop Screw. Both are controlled round feed.

Best,
Gun Doc

I was pretty vague with my reply of the safety but you are correct you just explained it better than me.
My stainless G47xxx is stamped stainless classic my wife’s blued featherweight sn G33xxx is stamped classic featherweight,

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just a neat image a lot of people don’t know Winchester made a stainless pushfeed. I guess that was my point. I also read somewhere on the worldwide internet the custom shop model 70’s as early as1988 were coming out with crf actions and carry very low 5 digit sn.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I hope I am supplying correct information as opposed to muddying the water.

I think "Classic" meant controlled round feed (CRF.) If I remember correctly, Winchester figured out that with numerically controlled machining, they could build CRF rifles without it having to be a custom, hand fitted proposition. So they produced some CRF rifles, called them "Classic", and priced them pretty high. The first ones may have been Super Grade fancy if not marketed as Super Grade. I'm a bit hazy on that part. I first became aware of them in a Guns & Ammo article by Ross Seyfried. Anyway, Winchester was not at all ready for how well they were received. They sold like the proverbial hotcakes. Winchester pretty quickly figured out they were onto something, and there you go. When they began making stainless rifles, they called them "Stainless Classic." I have no idea when they started marking any of them as "CLASSIC" or "STAINLESS CLASSIC".

Note I have two stainless rifles that, according to the date of manufacture table posted in a recent thread, were made in 1993 and 1995, both being marked "STAINLESS CLASSIC". (see earlier post in this thread)
Why the OP has a 2001 stainless rifle not so marked, and stainless 2002 rifle marked is not something I cannot comment on.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
As I said earlier. They brought back the crf and called it "classic" because the pre 64 had CRF. They also went as far as saying it had the pre 64 action, thus "classic" action nomenclature was used. And yes, 79s is also right regarding the custom shop crf rifles. However, the classic officially made it's debut in 92. In general, I disregard anything coming from the custom shop, as we could also include some crf rifles built there in the 80's, from left over pre 64 actions. Back then, you could have them do anything you wanted, if you had the money..

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Bobinpa,
What are the chamberings of the two rifles in question? Is #1 a 300 wsm perhaps?
Reason I ask is I am not sure I have ever seen a wsm that was stamped “classic stainless” even though they are obviously catalogued as such.
All of the 5 and 6 digits that I have had have been stamped “classic stainless” with the exception of a 300 wsm which was in the same serial range as your #1. The other wsm chamberings came out the following year, were 7 digit .... and none stamped “classic stainless “ that I have seen.

B
bobinpa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Bobinpa,
What are the chamberings of the two rifles in question? Is #1 a 300 wsm perhaps?
Reason I ask is I am not sure I have ever seen a wsm that was stamped “classic stainless” even though they are obviously catalogued as such.
All of the 5 and 6 digits that I have had have been stamped “classic stainless” with the exception of a 300 wsm which was in the same serial range as your #1. The other wsm chamberings came out the following year, were 7 digit .... and none stamped “classic stainless “ that I have seen.

That's interesting.... Yes, #1 is a 300 WSM. Number 2 is a 7 STW. Wonder why they didn't stamp the barrel as a classic? I also have a 270 WSM and a 7mm WSM..... Both from New Haven, stainless and CRF, but not marked Classic. They both have much later serial numbers, (7 digit).

TRUMP 2020
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Those stainless push feeds featured in that advertisement were a very very short run. I think only made in 92 and Winchester stopped production and went to crf stainless classics.

I have one of those, a PF stainless 30-06. Not sure why I own it, but I do.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Bobinpa,

That's interesting.... Yes, #1 is a 300 WSM. Number 2 is a 7 STW. Wonder why they didn't stamp the barrel as a classic? I also have a 270 WSM and a 7mm WSM..... Both from New Haven, stainless and CRF, but not marked Classic. They both have much later serial numbers, (7 digit).

Thanks for the reply. Interesting isn’t it? M70 minutia :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 160user, 54 invisible), 1,971 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,872
Posts18,497,567
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.