Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
BryanC Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Howdy all, anyone have any insight into Unit 50 in Colorado. My son and I drew bull tags, but we typically hunt up north...

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The elk will nearly all be on Private land. Drive out Hwy 9 between Hartsel and Fairplay and you'll see loads of elk on those ranches along the South Platte. Best bet for public land is from Badger Mountain north to Turner Gulch. The area get a LOT of people , as Tarryall is one of the heavier-used ATV areas. Are you allowed to hunt any other GMU besides 50?

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lake George 3 days ago, on private!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice pic. That's a big bull for the Lake George area. I've seen some huge ones down on the ranch just south of Fairplay.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 10/09/18.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So freaking frustrating to see soo many elk and so many nice bulls on private just outside public land, I honestly never realized how much of a role private land played on Elk Hunting in Colorado, but it’s a huge factor just about everywhere.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
So freaking frustrating to see soo many elk and so many nice bulls on private just outside public land, I honestly never realized how much of a role private land played on Elk Hunting in Colorado, but it’s a huge factor just about everywhere.

It does, but not always. There are some HUGE swaths of public land, but the elk migrate to private land or deep wilderness when the banging starts.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 10/09/18.

[Linked Image]
B
BryanC Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I really wasn't expecting any replies that quick smile , thanks guys... that is a nice bull... unfortunately, I am stuck on Unit 50, I scoped out Reinecker Ridge and saw some old sign but when I was in that southeast corner, there was a lot of atv/utv traffic and I figure they will keep the elk pushed away. I am going to take the camper out tomorrow night and try and get some miles on before Saturday. Will definitely check out the where you have recommended. I am hoping, more than anything, I can get my son a shot on his first. Thanks guys and if you have any other recommendations, please pass them along smile

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Are you sure you were on Reinecker ridge? Atvs are not allowed ,walk in and horses only Wardens patrol the ridge heavily.It does hold elk, alot of work to get to them and get them out.I prefer the south campground and go south from there.If the herd comes over from 500 they will be there but i think it is a little early for that to happen

B
BryanC Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Sorry, I combined the sentence there.... I scoped out Reineker Ridge and saw very little sign but then went to the SE corner of the unit (puma hills) and saw a lot of atv traffic.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Reineker is very deceptive, hard to tell until you really get up in there, atleast no atvs can get in there lots of elk killed up there every year.Friend of mine has killed a couple in the badger flats area down towards 24 I have never seen anything down there myself though.good luck let me know how it goes will be up there 3rd season.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Follow WyoColocowboy's instructions.

The elk on Reinecker Ridge and Red Hill seem to be migratory, coming down from 500. There are probably some resident elk there year round, though.

Stay South of Tarryall Reservoir and you just might get into some elk. Some of that country is remote and difficult to access.

B
BryanC Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks guys, I have plotted some of the locations mentioned in the thread and will check them out over the next few days. When I was there, it didn't look to promising and as mentioned, may just be a migratory corridor. Maybe I will get lucky. Is the area around Observatory Rock and Eagle Rock accessible by 4x4? Will let you know how the week turns out...

B
BryanC Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Well 3 days here and a lot of miles out on walking and driving trails. Saw lots of mulleys and antelope but only two elk., one cow and a juvenile stuck in barbed wire. Had to call G&F to get the poor guy out. Saw one of the largest, greyest mulleys I’ve ever seen but of course that tag is for the 20th - 28th. Hope he is still around by then. I can’t imagine big old guys like that go to far from where they feel safe. Windy day today, might be a good day to clean up the camper and wait till evening to go out if the wind dies down some. Found a few areas that were public close to private watering holes, that might be worth an evening sit.

FYI, checked out rds 146 - 149 back around Eagle and Observation Rock, Reinecker, and around Badger Mtn (and everywhere between) not looking promising so far.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

235 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 27 invisible), 1,344 guests, and 931 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,865
Posts18,497,291
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.