Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
No water. No removing the barrel and action. Hard to believe, based on everything I've heard, but he claims he gets no corrosion.

Start watching from 24:00 and see his method.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
TRH, I know other guys who use pure Ballistol for their BP guns, it's just a po-TAY-to po-TAH-to thing I guess.

When you shoot BP guns in cowboy competition, you end up cleaning your guns a lot. I tried various methods and finally settled on the method that Mike Venturino recommends: Windex with Vinegar (they sell it like that, but you have to look for it and I've found it's just as easy to add 1/2 cup of white vinegar to a bottle of regular Windex), scrub all available parts with nylon brush, brush the bores, then rinse it all with HOT water and let dry. I then lube everything up with Ballistol (and my beeswax/Crisco lube on the base pins) and put them away.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DocRocket
TRH, I know other guys who use pure Ballistol for their BP guns, it's just a po-TAY-to po-TAH-to thing I guess.

When you shoot BP guns in cowboy competition, you end up cleaning your guns a lot. I tried various methods and finally settled on the method that Mike Venturino recommends: Windex with Vinegar (they sell it like that, but you have to look for it and I've found it's just as easy to add 1/2 cup of white vinegar to a bottle of regular Windex), scrub all available parts with nylon brush, brush the bores, then rinse it all with HOT water and let dry. I then lube everything up with Ballistol (and my beeswax/Crisco lube on the base pins) and put them away.

Thanks Doc! Read that years ago & had forgotten about it. I’ll have to give that a try. I’ve always just used really hot water with a few drops of Dawn in it. And than treated the barrel of my muzzle loader with T/C’s Bore Butter.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Per Brownells:
"Mildly alkaline, Ballistol neutralizes the acids that eat away the insides of barrels."

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The custom flintlock chunk gun I use at "Over the Log" shoots like the annual Alvin York Memorial Shoot in Pall Mall Tennessee cost just a bit over $2,000.00. It's never seen the first grain of synthetic powder- - - - - - -3-F in the bore, and 4-F in the flash pan. It gets wiped down with Ballistol after a match, but once I get home it gets flushed with boiling water, scrubbed dry, and and re-lubed with Ballistol.

Ballistol was developed by the German army back in the BP cartridge days, and it's got well over 100 years of successful use on wood, leather, and metal. It can even be used as a field-expedient first aid treatment for minor cuts and scrapes. Once you get past the rotten meat smell, it's pretty good stuff.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
The custom flintlock chunk gun I use at "Over the Log" shoots like the annual Alvin York Memorial Shoot in Pall Mall Tennessee cost just a bit over $2,000.00. It's never seen the first grain of synthetic powder- - - - - - -3-F in the bore, and 4-F in the flash pan. It gets wiped down with Ballistol after a match, but once I get home it gets flushed with boiling water, scrubbed dry, and and re-lubed with Ballistol.

Ballistol was developed by the German army back in the BP cartridge days, and it's got well over 100 years of successful use on wood, leather, and metal. It can even be used as a field-expedient first aid treatment for minor cuts and scrapes. Once you get past the rotten meat smell, it's pretty good stuff.
Jerry

Never knew that.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
In almost 45 years of shooting black powder guns, I have never used anything but Windex followed up with oil or lube in all the right places.
Never had a problem.

If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by htredneck
In almost 45 years of shooting black powder guns, I have never used anything but Windex followed up with oil or lube in all the right places.
Never had a problem.

Windex or water work about the same. But I had no idea you could just use Ballistol without first a Windex or water cleaning. If true, Hickok's video is a real revelation, and goes against everything I've ever heard about black powder cleanup.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Will Ballistol left in the chamber not contaminate BP or a BP substitute or caps and cause a misfire, or do you need to fire a fouling round or two before hunting?

Does a bore with B shoot to the same point as if it had been fire a few times?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Butches black powder bore shine.
5 patch cleaning routine during season
Discharge shot daily at end of hunt if i dont kill something.
Complete cleaning with petro solvents at end of year.
Punch barrel , fire a fouler.
Do 5 patch clean with butches.
Ready for another year.

Biggest thing is cleaning a ml
With whatever works for you.

People blow the schitt off and wonder why their ml looks a dry sewer pipe when they go to use 11 months later.

Cva scoped packaged wolf ml,s types.
People probably buy a new one every 3 or 4 years.
Ml,s dont last that long in bubba,s care.
Too much hassle for em.
Basically why some have been pushing for straight wall metallic during ml here in tn

Lazy fuggs.......

Last edited by renegade50; 11/16/19.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln

Jerry

Never knew that.

Me either

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Here's the Cliff's Notes version of Ballistol history:

https://www.chuckhawks.com/ballistol.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistol

I got introduced to it about 15 years ago by my mentor who got me involved in chunk gun shooting. Sadly, he passed away a few days ago on Veterans' Day, at the ripe old age of 80, from pancreatic cancer. He was a retired Navy intelligence officer who spent most of his Navy career monitoring the movements of the Russian nuclear submarine fleet and planning how to counter them. Rich also made some of the best moonshine whiskey ever produced, using the recipie he learned from his grandfather in the northeast Georgia mountains in the late 1940's. RIP, Rich Pouncey- - - -you will be missed!
Jerry

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Learned me something

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
One advantage of Ballistol compared to petroleum-based cleaner/lubes like CLP is the fact that it does not react with BP residues to form the hard, crusty deposits that are very hard to remove once they form in the chamber area of a muzzle loader. I carry the small sealed pouches that contain a Ballistol-soaked towelette for a quick wipe-down after a shoot, or anytime I want to clean up the frizzen or flash pan during a match. Once the deposits are loosened, a followup wipe with a patch soaked in 90% rubbing alcohol removes any remaining residue and dries the frizzen for a good shower of sparks from the flint.
Jerry

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (10Glocks, 2500HD, 1moredeer, 204guy, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 54 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,893
Posts18,497,991
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.