Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Considering these and curious what you guys think.

Thanks.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I only looked through one in Cabelas Lubbock, TX which doesn't tell you much. My impression though is they have great optics, are overly large and bulky, and Vortex needs their heads examined by pricing it in Swarovski SLC territory. 9.5 out of 10 hunters would choose the Swaro. There's a guy over on Rokslide that's been trying to sell his 18x for over a month now, and there are no takers at $1400.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Even though I have no idea who you are and have never spoken to you before now, I honestly started the thread knowing you’d chime in and bad mouth them and the company. Just didn’t expect it to be this quickly.

I’ve been researching them all over the internet and have seen that the Audubon society ranked them right up with the Swaros, above Zeiss and other high end optics, etc.

The only other trend I can find apart from them being a little bulky and heavier than others in the same class is you being so pervasive saying they aren’t worth it, with no experience behind them other than a few minutes inside a store.

I mean no disrespect, but it’d be nice to have some real world experience from people who aren’t so ostentatiously anti-everything-Vortex.

Not sure which hunters you’re talking about, but I know several who have elected these over the Swaros which is why I’m researching them more. Not entirely sure who at Vortex shacked up with your wife, but the bias is tangible. Give it a rest.

Last edited by Ducksanddogs; 02/22/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ducksanddogs
I’ve been researching them all over the internet and have seen that the Audubon society ranked them right up with the Swaros, above Zeiss and other high end optics, etc.

I've seen the same, from Audobon and others. I'm not a big fan of Vortex, but recognize that they can make some quality products in their higher product ranges.

People's eyes are different, so all that matters is how they work for you. For example, Meoptas get high praise here, but they have never looked that good to me. On par with standard Razor, but nowhere near high end.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 02/22/20.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Even though I have no idea who you are and have never spoken to you before now, I honestly started the thread knowing you’d chime in and bad mouth them and the company. Just didn’t expect it to be this quickly.

The only other trend I can find apart from them being a little bulky and heavier than others in the same class is you being so pervasive saying they aren’t worth it, with no experience behind them other than a few minutes inside a store.

I mean no disrespect, but it’d be nice to have some real world experience from people who aren’t so ostentatiously anti-everything-Vortex.

Not sure which hunters you’re talking about, but I know several who have elected these over the Swaros which is why I’m researching them more. Not entirely sure who at Vortex shacked up with your wife, but the bias is tangible. Give it a rest.

Sorry to ruin your day snowflake. If you don't want opinions, don't ask.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider

That’s cute. Good job bringing your aggregate “contributes nothing of value in a Vortex thread” post count up by one.

Sorry they feel bulky in your hands. Perhaps Vortex should be confronted about how they are only making binoculars for men. Sounds like we’ve found just the whining bitch to represent the movement.

Seriously man, it’s a tangible bias based on nothing. Your hatred of all things Vortex is ubiquitous. It’s fair to assume that someone who is interested in anything from this company has stumbled upon your babbling somewhere, so save us all some time and at least take a break until they come out with another new product you can start bad-mouthing. The current suite is sufficiently slandered.

We get it.

Here:

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/vortex-uhd-vs-swarovski.151910/

The hate is strong in this one, eight years old:

http://www.opticstalk.com/what-is-vortex-thinking_topic32464.html

Again here:

http://www.opticstalk.com/athlon-ares-vs-vortex-pst-gen-2_topic44165_page2.html

Over on the bird forum:

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=358688

Here:

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=378274

Here:

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=371622

Here:

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=375821

Here:

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=375687

Last edited by Ducksanddogs; 02/23/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

That’s cute. Good job bringing your aggregate “contributes nothing of value in a Vortex thread” post count up by one.

Sorry they feel bulky in your hands. Perhaps Vortex should be confronted about how they are only making binoculars for men. Sounds like we’ve found just the whining bitch to represent the movement.

Seriously man, it’s a tangible bias based on nothing. Your hatred of all things Vortex is ubiquitous. It’s fair to assume that someone who is interested in anything from this company has stumbled upon your babbling somewhere, so save us all some time and at least take a break until they come out with another new product you can start bad-mouthing. The current suite is sufficiently slandered.

Don't fret Uncle Rico... he is the same idiot that will argue with Ilya about optics. That is just funny...

I am not fond of the bin because of the ergonomics, but it is great glass by every measure.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Right on Sitka. Just to be clear, I did say the optics are great, and they are, no doubt superb optics. Too big for ME, which was an opinion. They main thing, IMHO, is that alpha priced optics are in tough, tough territory when competing against the big boys, that's all. If I could buy a Vortex 8x42 UHD for around $1000, that would be a different story, for me. I am in the market for a really nice 8x42 that is not priced in alpha territory.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
These are in store(Sportsman's Warehouse) comparisons with a resolution chart on the wall about 100 feet from the counter. They had on hand the following, all 10x42. Leica Geovid R, Swarovski SLC, Vortex UHD, Zeiss Conquest HD, Leica Trinovid HD, Leupold Santiam BX-5, Leupold Pro Guide BX-4. The bottom line is any of these binoculars would be fine for a go to glass. However based on the resolution chart I'd rank them in this order. Swarovski SLC>Leica Geovid>Vortex UHD, Zeiss Conquest HD, Leica Trinovid HD, Leupold BX-5, Leupold BX-4. A ranking I'd have any faith in would take a bunch of time with different resolution targets at various distances in real world conditions. While in store looks have some drawbacks, they can certainly tell what ones are worth a further look. Nothing in any of these automatically weeded them out. It will come down to personal choices in ergonomics, budget constraints, warranty, and personal choices on brand preferences. So being hypothetical here, give the SLC a 10 for the top spot. The rest would go something like this, Geovid, 9.9, UHD 9.8, Conquest, 9.8, Trinovid, 9.7, BX-5 and BX-4 9.7. That is not to give them an accurate ranking, but to indicate differences are damned small optically. I liked the Conquest best from the lot due to its relatively compact nature. I have always liked the image of Leicas nad the Geovid was nice. The Vortex kind of surprised me, because it is a world ahead optically from what they have been producing. The UHD is Japanese, so the China concern is not present. The UHD has a main difference in having an extremely slow focus, it takes three turns to go from close focus to infinity. Vortex is probably their own worst enemy here as people likely will not equate the quality exhibited by the UHD with the name Vortex. Edit: the edge is best on the UHD.

Last edited by SteveC99; 02/24/20.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I frequent some other forums JGRaider is on and have found him to be very knowledgeable about optics.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by CWT
I frequent some other forums JGRaider is on and have found him to be very knowledgeable about optics.

I’m not saying he isn’t, though.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by SteveC99
These are in store(Sportsman's Warehouse) comparisons with a resolution chart on the wall about 100 feet from the counter. They had on hand the following, all 10x42. Leica Geovid R, Swarovski SLC, Vortex UHD, Zeiss Conquest HD, Leica Trinovid HD, Leupold Santiam BX-5, Leupold Pro Guide BX-4. The bottom line is any of these binoculars would be fine for a go to glass. However based on the resolution chart I'd rank them in this order. Swarovski SLC>Leica Geovid>Vortex UHD, Zeiss Conquest HD, Leica Trinovid HD, Leupold BX-5, Leupold BX-4. A ranking I'd have any faith in would take a bunch of time with different resolution targets at various distances in real world conditions. While in store looks have some drawbacks, they can certainly tell what ones are worth a further look. Nothing in any of these automatically weeded them out. It will come down to personal choices in ergonomics, budget constraints, warranty, and personal choices on brand preferences. So being hypothetical here, give the SLC a 10 for the top spot. The rest would go something like this, Geovid, 9.9, UHD 9.8, Conquest, 9.8, Trinovid, 9.7, BX-5 and BX-4 9.7. That is not to give them an accurate ranking, but to indicate differences are damned small optically. I liked the Conquest best from the lot due to its relatively compact nature. I have always liked the image of Leicas nad the Geovid was nice. The Vortex kind of surprised me, because it is a world ahead optically from what they have been producing. The UHD is Japanese, so the China concern is not present. The UHD has a main difference in having an extremely slow focus, it takes three turns to go from close focus to infinity. Vortex is probably their own worst enemy here as people likely will not equate the quality exhibited by the UHD with the name Vortex. Edit: the edge is best on the UHD.

Thanks!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Right on Sitka. Just to be clear, I did say the optics are great, and they are, no doubt superb optics. Too big for ME, which was an opinion. They main thing, IMHO, is that alpha priced optics are in tough, tough territory when competing against the big boys, that's all. If I could buy a Vortex 8x42 UHD for around $1000, that would be a different story, for me. I am in the market for a really nice 8x42 that is not priced in alpha territory.

I am certain Vortex will be calling you in any day to straighten out their marketing department. With your help they might even get as big as some of the other optics companies! Maybe they will even open their own factory and start producing 100% made in USA scopes!

And now you want alpha glass at bargain prices. Your history badmouthing optics companies based on entry level lines is proof you have no idea how things work.

Like I mentioned, arguing the wrong side with experts on fairly basic facts is special.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I am certain Vortex will be calling you in any day to straighten out their marketing department. With your help they might even get as big as some of the other optics companies! Maybe they will even open their own factory and start producing 100% made in USA scopes!

And now you want alpha glass at bargain prices. Your history badmouthing optics companies based on entry level lines is proof you have no idea how things work.

Like I mentioned, arguing the wrong side with experts on fairly basic facts is special.

I've forgotten more than you'll ever know. Greatest attribute of Vortex Optics is their marketing.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by SteveC99
These are in store(Sportsman's Warehouse) comparisons with a resolution chart on the wall about 100 feet from the counter. .

I was in the Cabelas in Rock Hill SC 4 years ago and they had an eyechart across the store from the optics section. I compared Vortex 8x42 HD's with Swaro 8x42 SLC and could see no difference . I ended up buying the 10x50's for lowlight hunting, after using them for one season I was pretty disappointed with them and sold them on Fleabay. I have spent enough on almost Alpha glass to choke a horse and most have been disappointments. Cry Once.

I have not looked thru UHD's but I would spend a lot of time looking thru them before I pulled the trigger once again. I am in the market for 8x42's and it will most likely be a Swaro SLC or EL but still going to wait on the new Meopta Air binos. .

Side Note. Seems people are either in the tank for Vortex or hate them.

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 02/26/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I've forgotten more than you'll ever know. Greatest attribute of Vortex Optics is their marketing.

Truly a legend in your own mind!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are very nice glass. They run a bit heavy compared to other binos in this price range. Personally, I like the Vortex warranty so I consider it a plus.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

686 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 1234, 1lessdog, 16penny, 77 invisible), 3,014 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,956
Posts18,499,113
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.