Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Visited an accuracy gunsmith today and they had these bullets on hand. My Lord those were some vicious looking bullets. Picked up some in 30 and 6.5 caliber for kicks.....was told they were extremely accurate and performed well thus far.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The owner, Jason, is a friend of mine. I've shot and hunted with their 6.5, 7, .308, and .338 Bulldozers. They are very precise bullets, and I've had no difficulty getting them to shoot extremely well. In a couple of my rifles, they are spooky accurate. They use a Von Karman rather than secant ogive profile, so BCs are high for bullet weights. Last season, I hunted exclusively with them in my 6.5 Creed and 7-08. Killed 2 deer and a handful of pigs with them. Shots were all relatively close range - 75-150 yards - so nothing extreme. Critters died; they performed as expected.

Ted
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I bought some .277 127's and .308's in 180 and 196. I need to get motivated and get a load worked up before fall.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If you are worried about lead in your meat, you also may want to worry about aluminum in your meat, since both are potent neurotoxins. I know that lead in its elemental form is not very bio-available, but I don't know about the form of aluminum used to tip the Bulldozers. Aluminum is generally more reactive than lead in the body.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Which is why aluminum is never used for beverage cans or cooking utensils. Oh wait . . .

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by shinbone
Which is why aluminum is never used for beverage cans or cooking utensils. Oh wait . . .

And lead is still used for potable water pipes. Gee, you so clever.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Lead water pipes havent been sold for years..
And once elemental lead reacts with stomach acid it is bioavailable.

Last edited by BWalker; 07/26/20.
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
This thread went from bulldozers to stomach acid in seven posts. I've seen it all now.
🙃

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Now you know why bullets are nicknamed "pills."

(I'm here all week, try the veal)

Last edited by shinbone; 07/25/20.
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Now you know why bullets are nicknamed "pills."

(I'm here all week, try the veal)

One of Jack O’Connor’s pet peeves regarding word usage....he abhorred writers who substituted “pill” for bullet.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you are worried about lead in your meat, you also may want to worry about aluminum in your meat, since both are potent neurotoxins. I know that lead in its elemental form is not very bio-available, but I don't know about the form of aluminum used to tip the Bulldozers. Aluminum is generally more reactive than lead in the body.

Did he say anything about lead?

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Pappy348

The website that sells the bullets repeatedly mentions one of the benefits of their bullets is an absence of lead that can end up in the meat. The website doesn't mention that aluminum, which is used to tip their "hunting" bullets, is also a potent neurotoxin, and unlike lead, is far more harmful to adults with a developed nervous system, while lead is more harmful to children with a developing nervous system.

Originally Posted by BWalker

Both of those statements are true. But water pipes are not replaced yearly, and I would say there are likely millions or tens of millions in America that do get their municipal water through lead pipes. There have never been any tests that I have seen that measure actual lead absorption in relation to lead consumption. A lot of fear-mongering though.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

The website that sells the bullets repeatedly mentions one of the benefits of their bullets is an absence of lead that can end up in the meat. The website doesn't mention that aluminum, which is used to tip their "hunting" bullets, is also a potent neurotoxin, and unlike lead, is far more harmful to adults with a developed nervous system, while lead is more harmful to children with a developing nervous system.

Both of those statements are true. But water pipes are not replaced yearly, and I would say there are likely millions or tens of millions in America that do get their municipal water through lead pipes. There have never been any tests that I have seen that measure actual lead absorption in relation to lead consumption. A lot of fear-mongering though.

Water pipes build up a scale layer over time that effectively isolates the lead pipe from the water. As long as this layer isn't disturbed you dont have any problems with being exposed to lead.
The reason you havent seen such tests are because brain and bone marrow biopsies are not very pleasant or advisable for research purposes.

Last edited by BWalker; 07/27/20.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Water pipes build up a scale layer over time that effectively isolates the lead pipe from the water. As long as this layer isn't disturbed you dont have any problems with being exposed to lead.
The reason you havent seen such tests are because brain and bone marrow biopsies are not very pleasant or advisable for research purposes.

I know the reasons why such tests aren't done. They are the same reasons why tests on aluminum poisoning aren't done. Yet both are powerful neurotoxins. And aluminum is used in lots of consumer products, yet lead is demonized all over the place. As I said, a lot of fearmongering, and based on NO DATA.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Okay, he didn't say anything then. Thought my old lead-addled brain mighta missed something.

I've never worried about lead in my burger; stuff in commercially-processed food is a lot scarier to me. I did stop using aluminum cookware long, long ago after reading about a possible connection to aluminum and Old-timers' Disease. Never liked it anyway, and have little doubt that utensils scrape some into the soup, and acidic foods eat into it as well. Just like burger lead, the question remains: Does enough metal actually make it into one's system to cause trouble? I suspect farmworkers relieving themselves in irrigation water is a bigger threat to me overall. Fortunately, the lady that tends my garden comes inside to do her business.

Last edited by Pappy348; 07/28/20.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Om

I know the reasons why such tests aren't done. They are the same reasons why tests on aluminum poisoning aren't done. Yet both are powerful neurotoxins. And aluminum is used in lots of consumer products, yet lead is demonized all over the place. As I said, a lot of fearmongering, and based on NO DATA.

Aluminum leaves the body very fast when ingested. Lead does not. That's the difference.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (blackhawk44, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, BamaCKC, Barryt, 11 invisible), 1,195 guests, and 819 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,233
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.