-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll bet that I'm thinking of the Van Zwoll article. I remember that he cut some off with a side-cutter.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't have the paper anymore, but I seem to recall there were slight deviations beyond 500 yd. I wouldn't swear to that under oath though. Regardless, the appearance of a battered bullet tip upsets some folks. So I would go so far as to say that polymer tips, while not used only to address aesthetics, sure helped in that regard with buyers.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
And what was the problem with the "battered" bullet tips?

I was a victim of ignorance, didn't know the effect if any.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by szihn
I have used them in various rifles and various cartridges since about 1970. Results are mixed.
Here is a list of most of them (what I can remember as I write this)

In 6MM their old 105 grain was prone to come apart after pretty deep penetration, so coming apart was not explosive and it did pretty well.

In 25 cal I used the 120 and I was surprised it didn't do very well. Had a tendency to come apart faster then the smaller 6mm. From my 25-06 I used that bullet on 5 antelope and 7 deer. Went back the the Core-Lokt with were 1/2 as accurate, but held together better so they penetrated deeper and went straighter through the deer and antelope . The old thick jacketed Core Lokt was replaced with a thinner jacket several years ago so after the old ones were used up I just "bit the bullet" and bought 120 grain Partitions from then on.

In 6.5MM and 7MM I used to shoot them, but I never killed anything with one of their 6.5s or 7MMs from the hot core line. I did use Mag-Tips and Grand Slams in 7mm but never a hot-core

In 270 their 130 was ok, but nothing to get too excited about and I would say much the same for their 150, but they used to make a 170 in 270 which I killed 1 elk with, and it worked very well. One kill is not a good test, but I got a very deep wound in that elk with an exit and I have to say it was as good a kill as any I have ever seen.

In 30 cal I have used their RN 150, their 150 Spitzer, their 165 grain spitzer and their 180 grain Spitzer and also their 180 gr Round Nose, all on deer, and one 180 grain Spitzer on an elk from a 308 Norma, and three 180 gr RNs from a 30-06 on elk. Overall, I never had much to complain about. None blew up on impact and all seemed to go deep, even when they came apart. Both the RN weights were better then expected and the 180 was VERY good. Of all the hot-cores in 30 cal from that list (except the 180 RN )I would say about 1 in 3 would shed their jackets, but again, not explosively. Not one of the 180 grain RNs came apart, and all gave exits with excellent results.

Now the one I had high hopes for, the 200 grain spitzer, was not all that good. I used them in 30-06 and 300 Win mag and 300 H&H. They seemed to come apart faster then the 180s did. Weird, but that how they were.

Just a few days ago I killed a white tail with the 170 grain flat point from my 30-30. Same bullet I killed several other deer with back about 25-30 years ago, and all those back then were excellent. But last week I got one that broke up completely. Hit was in the center of the chest as it ran away. I expected an exit at the front of the chest on the other side. Nope. I got a good kill because both lungs were destroyed, but I only found a piece of the core and it weights only 37 grains now. I never found any of the jacket at all, so I am wondering if Speer is using thinner jackets now then they did 30 years ago.

I never used any Speer Hot Core 8MMs

I did try one 200 grain 338 on a big Mule Deer from a 338-06. Facing me, I hit the front leg at the junction of the chest, and the bullet should have gone through to the back of the chest, but it slanted to the same side and went down the deer's ribs exiting only about 10 inches behind the entrance on the same side. I killed that deer with a 44 mag after I tracked it down when it dove into heavy brush. I think that may have been a fluke, but I did find lead and jacket pieces in the short wound, so I went to the 210 Nosler after that for my 338-06s.

In 35 cal I killed 7 deer with a 35 Remington using the 220 grain FPs, and all were very good performers with quarter size exits. My friend killed a good sized black bear with the same rifle and bullet and it worked the same on the bear.

With the Hot-Core 9.3MM 270 grain bullet I have shot about 14 deer and antelope with my 9.3X74R, and a 9.3X57 and I have to say, it's a super accuracy varmint bullet. I was VERY disappointed in it's break-ups and shallow penetration, with one hitting a small white tail in the spine from a steep down-hill shot, drooping the buck, but the MEASURED penetration was 5 inches. Most accurate 9.3MM bullet I have ever used in all 4 of my 9.3 bore rifles, but also not a good hunting bullet for anything much larger then 140 pounds or so. I have stopped shooting all game with them now but I love them as practice bullets because they don't cost a lot and are SUPER accurate. Hits in the ribs are ok, but it you hit even a leg bone you get BAD break-ups.

In 375 I killed 4 elk with their 235 grain from my 375H&H. 2 worked well, 2 broke up quickly. I have killed several deer with them too, and on deer they were great, but I doubt many hunters will shoot deer with a 375H&H so that info is largely useless.

Hope you find some of the above useful.

Hope you find some of the above useful.? Really? What a humble guy. I think you just wrote one of the best lifetime bullet summaries I ever read. And I bet it was great fun looking back through your notes, photos, etc to recall and summarize all of those experiences.
Thank you very much!

Rex

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have really only used HotCors for one purpose but they have excelled for that one.
I have found that the .358 250gr Speer HotCor (at least the old ones in the yellow box) are a perfect surrogate for the Nosler .358 250 Partition in my 35 Whelen AI. I get the exact same (within the noise level) velocity, POI, and accuracy with a given powder load with both bullets. So any time I want to work with a new powder in the 35 Whelen AI (again, in my rifle), I can just do the initial work with the relatively inexpensive HotCors and then switch over to the One Dollar Bullets for final validation. Back when they were about $7.50 for a box of 50 I just threw a box onto every order I ever sent in to my distributors, so I have plenty to cover that task forever.
I have heard many very good reports on the effectiveness of the .358 250 HotCor, and I reckon maybe it was made in the beginning to be a good bullet in the .358 Norma Mag, so maybe that's why it does real well at Whelen (and lower) velocities. But I never shot game with them, rather using the One Dollar Bullets for my precious hunts. But if the SHTF, I have plenty of bullets if I can't get those pricey ones anymore.

Anybody seen similar analog performance between HotCors and Partitions at other calibers/weights?

Cheers,
Rex

Last edited by TRexF16; 10/10/20.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rex, I have used the 250 gr Hot Cor spitzer ever since I got my first 358 Norma Mag, way back in 1969. It is not only accurate, but also very effective on big game when launched at 2800 fps by 67.5 gr of IMR 4895.

That load has shot well in every 358 NM I have owned, and every one I am familiar with. One of my best friends used the same load on his rebarreled '03 Springfield for more than thirty years, and has a jam jar half-full of expanded 358 Hot Cor 250s taken from moose, bears, and our big mountain caribou bulls which are the size of mature elk.

The Partitions are wonderful bullets, and I have used them a lot, but whether they would shoot to the same POI as Partitions in the nine Norma, I do not know, as I never loaded that bullet. Glad to hear that they do.

Ted

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Marie Laveau is an example of why I don’t believe in equipment Supremacism. All of us cognoscenti know the Hot-Cor is Black magic though.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 10/09/20.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
One thing I forgot to mention, I have 34 from a Speer .277 Grand Slams left from a box of 50 my son gave me. Are they bonded? Are they too tough for deer? My son gave them to me because he said he had them fail on deer because they passed through without doing any immediately fatal damage to the deer's plumbing and they ran off and he never found the deer. He's normally a pretty good shot and killed his first deer at the age of 9 with my old .270. He's no newby. What do y'all think? Are they too stout for deer size game?

Last edited by Filaman; 10/10/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The 130 .277 Grand Slam is a fantastic deer bullet. That was literally the only bullet my dad handloaded when I was a kid. He did recover one that he killed a large cow elk with and it looked like an advertisement.
I had great luck with the 140 GrandSlam in the old Nitrex factory loads for my 260.
Don’t recall using HotCors on game right off hand. I have been using up a bunch of 55gr .224 Speers I was given lately and they seem to work fine on pigs out of my .223, not certain they’re HotCors.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I too used the Grand Slam 165 gr in my .308 Win with the Nitrex factory ammo back in the day. Never had issues with hit critters running off not to be found. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"What do y'all think? Are they too stout for deer size game?"

I don't think so. I ran the 165 gr. 30 caliber Hot Cores at 2550 FPS from a Ruger M77 on big northern Arizona Mule Deer and that all dies very nicely. Shots ranged from about 35 feet to 250 yards and I only recovered on bullet, that one from the 250 yard shot and it traveled almost the full length of the deer. All the deer were one shot kills.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Because the OP asked specifically about Hot-Core bullets I didn't go into my experience with their old Mag-Tips or Grand slams, but because the above posts bring them up, I'll add:

Mag tips in 270 didn't seem to be really bad, but no better then any other cup and core bullet I used, and not as good as some (like the old plain vanilla 130 grain Winchester Power Point or 1970s Remington Core-Lokts in 130 and not near ad good as round Nose Core-Lokts in 150))

In 7MM the Mag Tips were good enough to make me believe they may have been a bit better then some others.

In 30 cal using 165 grain mag tips there were at least as good as most other cup and cores and better then many.

With 30 cal mag Tips my old friend Bob read in the Speer manual their recommendation for the 300 Savage, and he loaded his rounds with 165 grain Mag Tip bullets. I was with him on several hunts when he killed deer and one young cow elk with his M99 and all his bullets did very well. We recovered 4 that I made notes about. 3 from deer and the one elk. All did well and expanded well. The one from his biggest deer came apart in his hand, but was still together when we skinned the deer inside my shop. He shot the deer mid body as it jumped to run from him and I recovered the bullet from the neck under the skin. Weight of the core and jacket were 114 grains. Not bad really considering the deep penetration. The best one was from his elk and I still have that bullet (one of them. he shot 2 times, one exited. ) It went in to the front shoulder missing the bone, and was found along the flank on the other side. It weighs 129 grains.
My only kill with a 30 cal Mag-Tip (150 grain) was not as good, but at the higher velocity of my 30-06 I would not have expected it to be either. 2825 FPS from the Muzzle of my Browning M95 and again on a large mule deer, shot at only about 40 yards. Bullet hit just behind the shoulder (Broad side shot) and should have excited about the same place on the other side but the jacket came off and the bullet veered to the rear and made a mess of the stomach. I found the jacket but the core broke up. I got some 180 grains after that, but I never shot anything with them so I can't say how well they would have done.

In the Grand Slam line I never got one that I'd say was "bad" except one.

In the 120 grain from my 25-06, if I used a scale of 1-10 with 1s being 100 grain Sierra Game-Kings and Burgers and 10s being Nosler Partitions I'd put the Grand Slams at about an 8.

In 270 I used Grand Slams in 130 and 150 grain weights. 100% of them exited all the deer and antelope I ever shot and I never saw any evidence of bad brake-ups in the wound channels. I rate them as 10s or at least 9s. Nothing bad to say at all.

In 30 cal I used 150s and 165s in the Grand Slam line. In 1 case I recovered a 150 grain bullet from a mule deer buck, shot with a 30-06 shot at about 200 yards through the upper shoulder and the bullet came apart AFTER I removed it from the opposite flank. Weight of the core and jacket were at 83 grains according to my old notes. Penetration was about 20 inches. Can't say much bad about that. I used them in 308s 30-06s and two 165s from a 300 Weatherby. The Weatherby did a lot of meat damage, but I got an exit in a straight line dropping 2 deer with 2 shots and neither took a single step. So I can't complain.

I bought some 200 grain G.Ss. 30 cals and loaded them into 300H&H and 300 Win Mag, but never shot a single animal with any of them. A friend in Nevada swears by them (from both 30-06 and 300 Win Mag) and so I bought some, but I just have to trust his statements. Personally I can't say how well they work. They shoot tight groups in my 300s.

No experience with GSs from 338s or 358s.

And my last one to mention is the only Grand Slam I have reservations about. Their 285 Grain 375. I killed a bull moose with 2 of these. I shot the moose and it didn't seem to mind all that much. So I shot again and it walked up out of a mud-hole about 20 feet and then fell down. Both bullets made a sideways 8 on impact and came out about 7" apart on the off-side. One hit a rib on the other side of the chest and made a hole in it about the size of a dime without even breaking it off. Both exits in the hide looked like 38 special wad-cutters has made them. So I believe this is proof that neither bullet expanded at all.

I have killed game with 300 grain Hornady solids with my 375H&H and it kills well but not "electrically". The kill with the Grand Slams was exactly like the ones with the solids. So in my opinion, the 285 GS bullet were likely made for MUCH thicker skinned animals the moose, (Buffalo Elephant and hippos?) and acted just like solids. From a 375H&H solids do still kill well just because they are large enough to make them bleed out, break about any bone they hit and always exit. But the "controlled expansion" of that GS bullet didn't exist.

They are very accurate, and for buffalo, hippo and elephant I suspect they may be just fine.

Last edited by szihn; 10/10/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that the 87 grain 0.257" Speer HotCore is the best current production medium game bullet for use in 250-3000 rifles with 1-14" ROT barrels.

I also use 0.358".180 and 220 grain HotCores. The 180 grain bullet is a quick killer in the 35 REM and 356 WIN. I found the 220 grain bullet to be much tougher than the 180 grain bullet, so much so that through and through penetration showed little if any expansion. The whitetail does that I shot with them died, but not as quickly as with other bullets. If I was going to hunt deer with a 0.358" bullet from the 35 REM or 356 WIN it would be the 180 grain Speer. If I was going to hunt black bear, elk, or moose with a 0.358" bullet from the 35 REM or 356 WIN it would be the 220 grain Speer.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The boattails are swaged, with a softer lead-alloy core than used in the Hot-Cors.

Yes. And for the benefit of those not in the know, as lead gets harder, it is more difficult to swage. The press dies have to be more robust, and the operation is higher maintenance. That is probably why, years ago, Speer decided to pour molten lead into the jackets.

I am a fan of their stuff. It works.

This picture shows lead being seated into a bullet jacket. Thousands of pounds of pressure are exerted on the jacket and core when the punch pushes on, and seats the core. The harder the lead core, the more pressure required.

Absolutely! I tried some BHN 10 cores which is only twice as hard as lead and couldn't believe how hard I had to lean on the handle.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I use quite a few Speer bullets. The ones I make were inspired by Speer. Of the Speer bullets, my favourites are their 85 and 90 gr 6mm bullets and their 200 gr. 308s. This design is a blending of the Speer and protected point Euro bullets.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]...[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is Awesome !

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks. The critters don't care for them though.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I stopped using them years ago. Frankly, either I am just to stupid or Speer is terrible about product development and marketing because I find their entire lineup confusing.. I think their either need to rebrand, reintroduce, or build something new. Hot core is not bonded. Grand slam is no longer a premium. It was now it’s not. Good thing Hornady and nosler are out there for this guy

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My family, and guys in our deer clubs here have killed a freight train car full of white tails with a 7/08 with the NON HOT CORE 130g BTSP, loaded with a hot load of IMR 4895 around 3000 fps...seems to be a magic deer killing load for Rem 700's and A Bolts.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TRexF16

Anybody seen similar analog performance between HotCors and Partitions at other calibers/weights?

Cheers,
Rex

Yes. I have been using Speer 250gr 358s #2453 to work loads for Partitions in both Whelen & Norma Mag. The 200gr 338s #2405 work well in my 338-06 as 210 Partition substitutes too. The newer black boxes of both say Hot-Cor, but the older yellow boxes dont. Same bullet #s though. I have a middlin' newer yellow box of the 358/250s that do say Hot-Cor. What's in a name? PA whitetails didn't like them much at 358 Win. speeds with a case full of W748.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,536 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,936
Posts18,498,755
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.