Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Decisions, decisions.........

Decided not to send it back just yet. Talked to Christenesen and not real sure that the guy knew what he was talking about.

decided to take it to a local BR gunsmith and check it head to toe

Here's what we found:

Crown, not pretty but ok

Barrel pretty good and for the most part smooth w/o tool marks

Chamber, Oh ! Chamber some scratches and tool marks but the front of the chamber where the shoulder of the case makes contact there is a deep scratch around the circumference. Almost like a washer.

A 6.5 PRC go gage would not even allow the bolt to close 1/4 .

PROBLEM FOUND !

Bolt assembly, cocking piece one turn out too far making for weak firing pin strike.

My gunsmith can easily fix everything and as a matter of fact just got a New PRC reamer.

I have used him before and have confidence in his work. The rifle has a good barrel and I don't want to take a chance on getting a new barrel or replaced rifle.

So I will eat the cost of the repairs, say goodby to my warranty and should have the rifle back in a week

Lefty

Last edited by leftycarbon; 11/23/21.
HR IC

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
And Christensen says:

- Match Chamber
- Hand Lapped

Again - Wow, just wow...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Back from the GS!

Chamber cleaned up and the locking lugs lapped brought the headspace right where it needed to be. The bolt closes on
the go gage with just the very slightest resistance in the last 1/4" closing

Perfect! If the wind would let up we will find out how it shoots.

Factory loads snick right in.

Lefty

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Back from the GS!

Chamber cleaned up and the locking lugs lapped brought the headspace right where it needed to be. The bolt closes on
the go gage with just the very slightest resistance in the last 1/4" closing

Perfect! If the wind would let up we will find out how it shoots.

Factory loads snick right in.

Lefty

One would think a basic go/no-go check on a chamber would be a standard QC check.

On paper, the specs of the Mesa are appealing, and I’ve been considering one. Most reviews I’ve read indicate they weigh more than advertised. Add to that this story, plus another one here on the fire with a bottom metal issue and 9 kinds of warning flags are going off in my head. The only one I’ve shot was a Titanium Ridgeline in 300 Win Mag. I shot groups with 3 different Federal Premium loads and none were next 2”. The owner has tried at least one other type of premium ammo, Hornady I think, with similar results. He contacted CA about it. They asked for serial number. When he gave it to them they immediately responded, oh we know what the problem is. Send it in and we’ll fix it.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Rifle is coming alive. Feeding and ejection all ammo. Been shooting 20 rounds and cleaning.

Cleaning much easier. with140 Bergers easily under 1" if I do my part. 142 ABLR at .75-!"

Lefty

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by drano 25

One would think a basic go/no-go check on a chamber would be a standard QC check.

On paper, the specs of the Mesa are appealing, and I’ve been considering one. Most reviews I’ve read indicate they weigh more than advertised. Add to that this story, plus another one here on the fire with a bottom metal issue and 9 kinds of warning flags are going off in my head. The only one I’ve shot was a Titanium Ridgeline in 300 Win Mag. I shot groups with 3 different Federal Premium loads and none were next 2”. The owner has tried at least one other type of premium ammo, Hornady I think, with similar results. He contacted CA about it. They asked for serial number. When he gave it to them they immediately responded, oh we know what the problem is. Send it in and we’ll fix it.

I'm beginning to wonder myself. That kind of complete and utter BS on a $2000 tool? "...oh we know what the problem is. Send it in and we’ll fix it"

Uh, no. I have a Mesa and have put 500+ rounds down the tube without any drama, but when it comes time to pick up a PRC, CA will not be the first I look at.

Unbelievable...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve had a classic and 2 ridgelines, just bought 2 more ridgelines. I’d say they are my favorite factory rifle produced today. The classic was a 300 rum and the ridgelines were two 280ai’s and two 28 noslers.

I go through a pile or rifles, Cooper, Kimber, Sako Tikka, Nula/Forbes., even gunwerks. Aside from my old trusty model 70 crf in featherweight 280rem with a Wildcat composite stalk, the Christiansen has been my next in line. All have been cabable of 1/2moa, they come with a break and thread protector right out of the box, they have an awesome adjustable trigger, they’re lightweight and balance out nicely freehand, rem 700 bases fit, bolt knob is threaded if you want to put a larger knob on there. My only gripe is lack of color options. I liked the old drab green stalk I had on the classic with just a limited amount of only black webbing, the tan webbing seems a bit much.

I’m positive they would stand behind their product and I’m sure they would have made things right with your rifle. I regretted getting rid of my first 280ai Ridgeline, it was a shooter but the offer was too good to pass up.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I looked at the rifle and decided there was more good than bad and decided my gun smith could handle it quickly and correctly.

It was "repaired quickly and correctly....I didn't want to dick around sending it back, waiting etc. Talking with one of their
people convinced me even more to use my gunsmith.

it appears this rile slipped through any Quality check and certainly wasn't test fired.

That said I like the rifle and plan on keeping. With 100 rounds down the tube the accuracy is improving, not copper fouling.

Iall good

Lefty

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From what I understand they test every tenth rifle for quality control and accuracy. I had issues with a Kimber Montana once with machining issues on the feed rails and bolt channel, it was an easy fix though. I’m sure you’re going to love the rifle.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,934
Posts18,498,740
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.