-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last gun I tried to ship FedEx told me the bill was over $100. I swore off shipping guns forever then and there

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
I shipped 2 Savage 99's for $120 with FedEx recently. My local UPS will not ship anything firearms related including scopes and magazines, you have to go out of your way to go to a main service center location to ship with UPS. USPS lines are way too long and it just seems more of a hassle to me.

Might cost a bit more, but FedEx is my go-to.

Fed Ex. Part ordered Oct 3. Shipped Oct 4 or 5 IIRC. Anyway early Oct. And shipped in a few days.

Got credit for lost item last week Friday, same day that item showed up. Almost 2 months later. After having been shown "delivered" appx Oct 25...

Nope. Not high on my list.

USPS remains the most reliable and cost effective. At least to AK and back for items.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Computing how much it cost to ship a rifle is not rocket science, Fed-EX, UPS, and USPS all have shipping calculators on their website.

As mentioned oversize boxes such as a rifle box can increase the cost dramatically because the size falls under "special handling". Insurance adds to the cost rapidly. Of course the distance shipped and weight run up the cost quickly.

The last couple of rifles I shipped cost near $100 each but one was to Alaska and the other was heavily insured.

The days of $45 shipping are gone - in the future if I am providing shipping as part of the sale price I will figure $75 for shipping, some may cost more and some less but at this time I think that will be close to an average shipping cost.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by andrews1958
Originally Posted by Bugger
The last shotgun I shipped was USPS and it cost nearly $100
I’m not sure why. That’s way more than it used to cost.
I see on Guns International that a lot of dealers charge something like $30 or a little more. So I’d like to know what’s going on too.

Same here. Not sure how they can send for $30?

In my opinion, they're just building it into the price. It's like when someone is selling "x" on here for $750 shipped. It's not that their shipping cost is zero. They would sell face to face for an amount less than $750.

I, like others, have discovered that it is cheaper, and quicker, to ship rifles via USPS. Note that I did not say "cheap". As to handguns, the price of shipping via FedEx and UPS is so exorbitant that it is cheaper to find an FFL who can ship via USPS priority mail. My FFL's fee with me paying the cost of priority mail insured is much cheaper than me using FedEx or UPS.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last time I shipped one, the UPS lady said they required 1” of internal clearance in all directions to qualify for insurance. That adds up when calculating the size.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
drover,

That's exactly what I do when shipping a rifle I've sold, add approximately what it will cost at USPS to the overall price. If the rifle is expensive enough I also usually ship in a hard case, because that in itself is a form of insurance.

Part of the reason I use USPS is simple handiness. There is no UPS or Fedex outlet in our small town, and the people at the post office are used to me mailing guns, which makes the process easier. Otherwise I'd have to make a 60+ miles round trip to the closest "big" town, where there are UPS and Fedex offices that accept guns. But guns have to go through the major UPS office, which is only open for 2 hours at the end of the day for people shipping guns, and only four days a week.

Also, as previously noted I haven't had any mishaps with USPS when mailing at least 200 guns over several decades. Also use my PO Box for receiving them, if possible, when somebody ships something to me. That way it's not sitting on my porch. One Fedex delivery when to the wrong house, just down the street, but luckily the guy who lives there figured out the mistake and brought it to me--after Fedex left an obvious rifle case on his porch.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve been able to get several sellers to pack guns in cheap hard cases for me at nominal cost. As you said, extra insurance and the cases are handy to have around.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I did not know if he USPS would let you ship guns. Is this something new?

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M

Nope. As far as I know, legal adults have been able to ship LONG guns (NOT handguns) thru the US MAIL since it existed.
Here's a link off GunBroker with gun shipping info: https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en-us/articles/222836508-Firearms-Shipping-Guide

Now none of what I just wrote doesn't mean that you won't run into a mail clerk that doesn't know the law or the postal service regs...

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

It's in the postal handbook. Print out the appropriate pages to take with you if you live somewhere weird.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
IC B3

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Until last year, Walmart sold a decent hard plastic rifle case for under $10. I shipped a number of guns USPS in them. Alas, the cost of the case has now doubled. One gun shop also sold such cases used for $5 and I'd buy them when I was there. FWIW, I had USPS severely damage a Marlin 356 I was shipping. As it was insured, they bought it from me for the full sale price of $1200. I see others have had problems collecting from them, but my one instance was no problem at all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kk alaska
USPS has always been the cheapest and most reliable to and from Alaska the last one I shipped USPS insured to the lower 48 around $65 this year.
A lot depends on the weight and size of the box.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
...As kk noted, it depends on the weight and SIZE of the box. Which is why I often take bolt-rifle barreled actions out of their stock and use a shorter box to ship.

The price also depends on how much insurance you want to buy. There are endless debates about USPS insurance, but I have never had a package fail to show up when it was insured for the full value--and have shipped at least 200 firearms via USPS.

Take note of these. It also matters which carrier you use. From what I can surmise after shipping multiple boxes of various sizes and shapes, UPS and FedEx go by the total cubic inches of the box.

I used to use standard 48x6x6" boxes which would weigh around 9-10 pounds with a rifle inside. With $600-800 of insurance that would run anywhere from the upper $40 range to over $60. Take the action and barrel out of the stock and ship in a 36x6x6" box, same weight and insurance amount and the cost would go down to the mid $30 range. Just shipped a Model 700 in late September in the shorter box and it was $37.61 FedEx. Fwiw, USPS would have cost $40.85 (not too much more) but UPS would have charged $50.10 for the same box.

A Montana 1999 in their huge ass factory box surrounded by an equally huge cover box would run about $100 shipping.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Depends on where it's going, what it weighs, size of box and how much insurance is needed.

Last edited by Bill_N; 12/07/21.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The FFL that I’ve used to ship (I think 3 guns my whole life) never insures any firearms he ships. And he ships quite a few. Said he’s never had any problems. I made him get insurance for the ones he shipped for me. He uses USPS.
The one gun I had shipped, the mailman just dropped it off at the door and didn’t get a signature. Luckily everything worked out.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Just shipped one today, ups. From Casper to College Station,TX. with insurance was $65.00

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
As John notes, the dimensions absolutely make a huge difference.
Also, if you have ever tried to collect insurance on a damaged item from USPS, you will likely come to the conclusion that that insuring through them is simply not worth it.

I agree with this 100%, I had a gun package lost for about 4 months and went through the entire USPS insurance claim process..................ZERO chance that I would ever even get a dime !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luckily the package showed back up after being lost but

NEVER,NEVER,NEVER pay extra for insurance, every penny spent is wasted.

ALWAYS,ALWAYS,ALWAYS get a tracking number.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I go to the local gun shop and get Ruger bolt action boxes with the outer cardboard sleeve tough boxes and on the small side.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by EdM
The best I have found and used many times.

https://www.shipmygun.com/go/

This^^^
I used it the first time last year for an expensive, heavy firearm and it saved me almost half if I would have taken it to the UPS hub myself.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

This was fleshed out a few years ago on the Campfire and it was determined that every post office had different rules - regardless of what the manual says. Most PO supervisors don't care and they just refuse to do it. If you have an FFL - no issue. There is very little accountability with the PO - I know all too well.
I quit fighting and give UPS my money. I use $65 for my shipping number.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Dimensions, weight, and destination make a huge difference. I use USPS exclusively, and prices on long guns typically run anywhere from $30-65 shipping (with insurance). I just shipped a barreled 700 action from Georgia to Oregon, and it came to $41.60. I've always heard that insurance through USPS is a waste of time, but I still buy it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (16penny, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 1,872 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,876
Posts18,497,684
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.