Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I sized these 25-06 cases about 5 years ago and noticed a dent in many of them. Most are smaller like the one on the left but a few have a larger dent like the other two. After some reading I realized I either had too much sizing lube or caused some crush due to the die being screwed in too much. Or both.

Are these safe to load and shoot? Any major concerns? Will the case simply fill the chamber like in fire forming? Or should I chunk them?

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Yes load them and shoot them. The dents are caused by excessive amount of case lube.
The case will be dent free after firing

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Yep load them up and fire away. Like jwp475 said. Could be excessive case lube.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Yep. Best way to get rid of the dents.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
They will be gone the instant you pull the trigger

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
They will be gone the instant you pull the trigger

Ditto. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the replies. Earlier in my reloading career I was overly cautious and I guess I was paranoid of a stuck case hence the excessive lube. I’ll load and go. Merry Christmas all!

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd be more concerned about the incipient case head separation you got going on there with that brass. Check those cases with a wire with bent hook to make sure the case is not separating. You have to look at the whole case, not just the obvious dent in the neck.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I'd be more concerned about the incipient case head separation you got going on there with that brass. Check those cases with a wire with bent hook to make sure the case is not separating. You have to look at the whole case, not just the obvious dent in the neck.

Those have been fired once using factory ammo. Hornady superformance SSTs. Is case head separation after a single firing a concern?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The question there is if and how excessively far the shoulders may have been pushed back during the making of the dents.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’ll measure base to shoulder and check them this weekend. If I remember correctly the coloration at the base is the point at which the sizing die ended on the case.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by philgood80

Those have been fired once using factory ammo. Hornady superformance SSTs. Is case head separation after a single firing a concern?

I think those lines are where your Resizing die stopped. A full length resizing die does not come all the way down the length of the brass. That’s just my guess, but it could be something else.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those dents look reminiscent of those caused by low-pressure in the case (such as in the event of partial case head separation), rather than the typical dents caused by sizing with excessive lube.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
The one in the middle may not iron out but the other two will for sure. It’s amazing what 50,000 psi will do to brass.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jordan
Would that happen in firing or sizing? They looked completely normal after firing and came out of the sizing die with dents.

Last edited by philgood80; 12/24/21.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by jwp475

Yes load them and shoot them. The dents are caused by excessive amount of case lube.
The case will be dent free after firing

Like was said earlier they are lube dents you should not lube that high up on the case....about 3/4 of the way up the case is enough.

Load them and shoot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jordan
Would that happen in firing or sizing? They looked completely normal after firing and came out of the sizing die with dents.

What I described happens upon firing. Your dents are created by excessive lube on the shoulders, but they look unusual for lube dents. They’ll pop out when you fire the brass next time.

No need to lube the shoulder.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
They should be good to go.

Have fun shooting them.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Those dents look reminiscent of those caused by low-pressure in the case (such as in the event of partial case head separation), rather than the typical dents caused by sizing with excessive lube.

Over thinking again...

look at all the evidence before you.make these stupid statements and scare the guy.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

You cant dream this chit up folks....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1Longbow, 2500HD, 1minute, 10Glocks, 1moredeer, 204guy, 53 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,894
Posts18,498,029
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.