Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Work schedule changed so have decided to make a last minute drive/trip from STL, Missouri to Yellowstone NP to drop my 2 youngest sons off (near Cody, WY) for for some hiking and Kayaking in Yellowstone NP, as a sort of semi-family vacation in June. Also driving with my oldest son, so he and I are looking for things to do in the area for 3-5 days while we wait for the younger boys to finish up kayaking/hiking and rejoin us for some local stops and the trip back home.

Hoping to avoid the crowds in Yellowstone (if possible). Anyone familiar with the general area who would be willing to offer advice or share some suggestions as to what they recommend we do, where to stay, eat etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Or even folks who have made a similar driving trip and have recommendations as to worthwhile stops along the journey would be appreciated (Mt. Rushmore/Black Hills, Tetons, etc. flexible on routes to get there- north through South Dakota/Nebraska or south through Kansas/Colorado).

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Have any reservations ?? June ?

Even with joe's fuel prices travel in the west is still busy

Yellowstone ? June ? Crowds ? Yes.......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Don't park downwind of the geysers.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Or downwind of the Bison.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
You might want to make your motel reservations as soon as you can. The first time there it was a package deal flight, car rental, and we stayed at the Best Western in town. Second time I went there was no car rentals to be found, so I drove from Az. Stayed at the Cody Holiday Lodge, doesn't look like much from the outside, but it was clean. As far as something to do there is the Buffalo Bill Museum of the West. There is a Rodeo every night in town. There is a fairly large gun store in town that used to be a grocery store. Jeremiah Johnson is buried in town. Custer battlefield is about 2 1/2 hours away. Last time I was there Deer were right in town.

I tried to spend at least 1 night in Buffalo Bill's hotel The Irma, but wasn't able to get a room. There are some shops in downtown Cody to spend some time in. I remember a Mexican place, I think its called Zepatas that the food was pretty good.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Cody has a firearms museum that could easily take a couple of days. For scenery you can take the Chief Joseph Highway up over the pass. Devils Tower is over near the Black Hill between Sundance and Moorcroft. I'd try to stay out of Jackson unless your driving thru it.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Black hills is always worth while . Rushmore, devils tower, custer park. Definitely hit the buffalo bill museum. Irma hotel is great for dinner. As mentioned big gun shop in town and REI store.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you fish, try fly fishing some of the smaller streams in the park. Terrestrials like ants, beetles, and grasshopper patterns work well. You don’t need to be an expert caster. Just slap them on the water as if they just fell in.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, get your reservations ASAP. The circus has already started!

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for the helpful advice/suggestions. I'll work on finding lodging and make reservations ASAP.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Museum in Cody is awesome. Easily can spend 2 days there if you want to ogle all firearms. The Irma Hotel is cool, for the atmosphere of staying there. My wife and Mom did a historical trolley tour while I spent a second day at the museum in Cody. The northern part of Yellowstone tends to have more critters. Same for the Lamar Valley. Either drive it solo or put up with the bunny huggers on a tour. Say what you want about them, but they do find bears and occasional wolves for their trip clients. Never been on one, but know folks that have. Fishing in June is not good, typically. Most rivers are blown out due to the runoff. Snow is lighter this winter so depending on when you come out, you could get lucky and find fishable water. Right now it is pretty high and muddy. Jackson is busy and getting worse. And pricey too. Be ready for some muddy ground if you so any hiking and be sure to have a light rain jacket handy. It is standard fare for afternoon showers. Have bear spray. I’ve seen lots of bears while out and about. I have been bluff charged once, up in northern Ontario, not here. Never had to use spray, but there is a comfort factor in having it when I do see a bear; black or grizzly. Lots of folks will say, don’t go to ... or stay away from .... F’em. It is a truly special place and worth taking in every part of. Yeah, there are crowds and bleachers at Old Faithful, but where else are you going to see that? If you are wandering over to the quiet side of the Tetons, Idaho, shoot me a PM and I can give you more info on things around here and up in West Yellowstone. Same regarding Jackson and Grand Teton NP.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There’s plenty of stuff to do in the area. It takes three or more days to do justice to Yellowstone Park alone. After Memorial Day you cannot avoid crowds, and yes, Jackson has gotten very pricey from what it used to be. smile

But still worth the trip. A unique area of the country with lots of history. I would take the more northern route if I were driving.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I highly recommend including a visit to the rodeo in Cody. They run it all summer. It’s a great experience. Also, take a drive out of Cody down the South Fork of the Shoshone River go as far as you can before you have to turn around. Amazing scenery plus no crowds. Go for a hike at one of the trail heads. Bring some bear spray and/or something that has some real stopping power, cause they are around. I’ve been hunting and visiting the area for 25 years and it’s one of my favorite places on earth. Have fun!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a ton of great hiking and fishing north of the park in MT, minus the crowds. The park is great if you don't want to be far from the road or visitor center, but you can easily be in the backcountry minutes outside the park without all the people.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Drive North from Cody to Redlodge MT and drive the Beartoth Highway to Cooke City, MT. Considered one of the highest rated scenic drives in the US.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hogwild7: I was just going to post about the incredible drive from Cooke City to Red Lodge (have hamburgers at the red caboose in Red Lodge).
The VarmintWife and I did the Beartooth again last summer and saw Mt. Goats in 3 different places and a "wild" Grizzly bear there in Montana outside "the park".
The Beartooth Highway just opened (it was announced on local TV) 3 or 4 days ago - I had planned on "hitting the Beartooth" in a week or so myself.
But predictions of heavy snows this week have me on hold for that.
Later in June should be safer from inclement weather problems on the Beartooth Highway - stop at every pullout.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scooterskeeter
Work schedule changed so have decided to make a last minute drive/trip from STL, Missouri to Yellowstone NP to drop my 2 youngest sons off (near Cody, WY) for for some hiking and Kayaking in Yellowstone NP, as a sort of semi-family vacation in June. Also driving with my oldest son, so he and I are looking for things to do in the area for 3-5 days while we wait for the younger boys to finish up kayaking/hiking and rejoin us for some local stops and the trip back home.

Hoping to avoid the crowds in Yellowstone (if possible). Anyone familiar with the general area who would be willing to offer advice or share some suggestions as to what they recommend we do, where to stay, eat etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Or even folks who have made a similar driving trip and have recommendations as to worthwhile stops along the journey would be appreciated (Mt. Rushmore/Black Hills, Tetons, etc. flexible on routes to get there- north through South Dakota/Nebraska or south through Kansas/Colorado).

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

If it were me, and I have done this is follow the Oregon trail on the way out. Pick it up in Independence Mo. lots to see on the route. Fort McPhereson, Fort Kearney, Buffalo Bill Ranch, Chimney Rock, Scottsbluff National monument, Lake Mac, once into Wyoming you can bop North to Boysen Resevoire(which is huge) to Thermopolis to Cody and Yellowstone. On the trip home I took the Northern route Devils tower, Black Hills, Badlands South through the Bud to pick up the Niobrara River scenic route to the Missouri. Beautiful country. It was an awesome trip.

Swifty
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Today, Memorial day. (92 degrees in east central Wisconsin. Yellowstone park, winter weather advisory with 1 to 3 " of snow.
If you are doing Yellowstone in June and visiting the usual tourist spots, expect crowds and heavy traffic. Also as mentioned have lodging reservations well in advance.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Back safe and sound from a wonderful trip, managed to get through the Beartooth Pass/Highway, in snow and sleet, before it closed from Red Lodge, MT to the Chief Joseph cutoff. Also, just got through the northern portion of Yellowstone NP, on Sunday, June 12th,
before they closed the park for the 1000 year flood. Rainwater/snow melt was streaming across the rode for hours before the actual washouts. Thanks again for all the great advice---we followed a lot of it (BTW, in case in anyone else reading this is planning on going, the Red Caboose in Red Lodge, MT doesn't open at 8A (as Google says) but rather 11AM-----we met the owner there at 10A, leaving for a breakfast burrito, from the local gas station).

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Sundown on the Yellowstone, just a little while ago. Beautiful evening. Not raging as much as I thought it'd be. Near Fallon MT. Calm, green and 75F.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1936M71, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,928
Posts18,498,623
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.