-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Within 300 years the Christian church gave up and joined the Roman Empire. What resulted was not the church of John and Jesus. And that organization is still masquerading as Christianity today.

The UMC and a bunch more just lower case catholic.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
Within 300 years the Christian church gave up and joined the Roman Empire. What resulted was not the church of John and Jesus. And that organization is still masquerading as Christianity today.
That is certainly the view of the modern Hebrew Roots Movement and those that comprise it.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Mathew 16:18 "And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."

God still has a true church despite the efforts of man to change it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Mathew 16:18 "And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."

God still has a true church despite the efforts of man to change it.
That is true and that true church has people all over the world scattered among many denominations and some true believers in Jesus' message are even Hindu or Moslem. While the Roman church certainly has some true followers of Jesus the hierarchy is off the deep end. But so is the hierarchy of every denomination that has a hierarchy including the SBC which my church recently began divorce proceedings with.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Gee, who coulda seen this coming.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There’s a pretty big difference between ‘the Church’ and a church. Tarbe mentioned it earlier and he was right.

I’m attracted to the original ekklesia established by Jesus and modeled by Him and His Apostle’s and the other earliest first-century Christians; the ekklesia that relies on the event of the resurrection of Jesus as its foundation. The stand-alone version.

Much of what we see nowadays (in my opinion) regarding churches and denominations…and the individuals that comprise them…is very different from the first-generation passion of what it meant to follow Jesus back then.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
The problem with using the events of the Book of Acts is that the book is written as a history rather than a book of doctrine. As a history it must first be read descriptively. To say that it is prescriptive and the definition of what the church was to be throughout time is to ignore and discredit all that the Apostles did and taught, under the continued direction of the Holy Spirit, for the rest of their lives.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IZH27
The problem with using the events of the Book of Acts is that the book is written as a history rather than a book of doctrine.
I see no problem with the true historicity of Jesus and His resurrection and His original ekklesia. At all. None. Christianity is an event-based faith, not a doctrine-based or text-based faith. Jesus’ Apostle’s made this crystal clear.
Originally Posted by IZH27
To say that it is prescriptive and the definition of what the church was to be throughout time is to ignore and discredit all that the Apostles did and taught, under the continued direction of the Holy Spirit, for the rest of their lives.
You seem to be refuting an assertion that wasn’t made by anyone that I’m aware of. Regardless, the foundation of Christianity is the resurrection of Jesus. His Apostle’s made this crystal clear.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Without the Resurrection, there would be no Christian doctrine, there would be no Christian Bible, and there would be no Christianity. At all. Period.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Doesn't the Methodist Church already have female "pastors"?

Once you go down that road, anything goes.

Yes and they’ve marrying openly admitted homos and bragging about it for 10 years

Not sure why now this is some sort of “ASTONISHING” news to folks on the campfire

But….ya know, there’s dumbfukks on here that ain’t heard of Foghat either.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve heard some women that can flat-out preach the Gospel. And I’ve heard some women that are excellent teachers regarding the practical application of Biblical principles to one’s everyday life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On the topic of the OP - but only in some comparison with the Methodist situation - we happened to visit a Missouri Synod Lutheran church today and paid close attention to the statements and the doctrines expressed. My take is that there is NO WAY that the LGBTQXYZ style and behavior would be in any way acceptable in membership there.

There were a couple of things that surprised me a bit, but the above was patent.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by antlers
I’ve heard some women that can flat-out preach the Gospel. And I’ve heard some women that are excellent teachers regarding the practical application of Biblical principles to one’s everyday life.

Im sure thats the case, just as there are a lot of women who are smarter than their husbands. Doesnt mean, contrary to the ideas of many of those women, they should be head of the house, or church.

HE had other considerations i expect, such as the fact that HE made woman from man and for man and not vice versa.

1 Timothy 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

As all here know, crap has gone sideways in this country since lowyers and womens lieb happened.

Women in upper positions in church are going to be drawn to instructing men, just as they are at home.

They would be dealing with a lot of males in church. We know what that lead to in the Garden. Cain. sick

Last edited by jaguartx; 07/17/22.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Acts is a bridge between the Gospels and Paul’s letters and explains why the kingdom of God on earth did not come (as the Jews had anticipated) and how God responded to Israel’s disbelief and rejection of Jesus. Acts is Volume Two and continues the account of the Jewish disbelief and rejection of their Messiah, Jesus Christ. There is hope with the beginning of Acts because of the resurrection of Jesus and the gift of the Holy Spirit. But, sadly, Acts ends with Israel’s rejection of Jesus, their Messiah.

Due to God’s AMAZING GRACe, Paul was saved and commissioned by the risen Lord to begin a new program, the Church, the body of Jesus Christ. Under the new program of grace, salvation was by faith alone, not faith and works, in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Methodist “take” on abortion is as much or a little more disconcerting than their gay rights stance.

In contrast to the Texas law, the official United Methodist stance on abortion, found in Paragraph 161 of the Social Principles, states: “We recognize tragic conflicts of life with life that may justify abortion, and in such cases we support the legal option of abortion under proper medical procedures by certified medical providers. We support parental, guardian, or other responsible adult notification and consent before abortions can be performed on girls who have not yet reached the age of legal adulthood. We cannot affirm abortion as an acceptable means of birth control, and we unconditionally reject it as a means of gender selection or eugenics.”

So it seems the Methodists have a subtle pro-choice” stance?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WhiteTail48
So it seems the Methodists have a subtle pro-choice” stance?

Trying to stay seeker friendly relevant to bump the numbers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by antlers
1 Timothy 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
Yeah, I gotta problem with that exhortation, as well as the one tellin’ us that we must obey our government rulers, and that slaves must obey their human owners.

Women were certainly seen in a different light back then, just as slavery was. If it’s OK for slavery to be seen in a different light nowadays…and it clearly is…why isn’t it OK for women to be seen in a different light nowadays too…?

Agreeing with the above Biblical exhortations is ‘not’ a requirement for salvation. If I get chastised for seein’ em’ the way I do when I stand before God, then I just will; I’m already gonna be chastised for a bunch when that time comes anyway.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Women are seen in a different light nowadays. Are things mo'better than they were 100 years ago?

I dont remember HIM advocating slavery, just saying about if one was one.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Women are seen in a different light nowadays. Are things mo'better than they were 100 years ago?

I dont remember HIM advocating slavery, just saying about if one was one.

Exactly!

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by CCCC
On the topic of the OP - but only in some comparison with the Methodist situation - we happened to visit a Missouri Synod Lutheran church today and paid close attention to the statements and the doctrines expressed. My take is that there is NO WAY that the LGBTQXYZ style and behavior would be in any way acceptable in membership there.

There were a couple of things that surprised me a bit, but the above was patent.

I think that you are correct. Such a church would likely end up migrating to the ELS one way or another.

The order of worship was totally different than anything I’d ever experienced. When I began to see the specific purpose of each portion it by a long shot made more sense than anything I’ve ever seen or experienced.

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (300_savage, AB2506, 10gaugemag, Akhutr, 12 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 662 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,224
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.