Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Would like to hear thoughts and opinions on holsters for concealed carry.
I live in a hot dry climate, if it matters.

I'm thinking outside the waist band.

The firearm will be a medium to compact 9mm

MOLON LABE
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Owb in kydex would consider JM custom. I have some IWB ans OWB holsters from them and no regrets.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've been carrying a 1791 holster under an un-tucked shirt. I live in a hot, DAMP climate (definitely need a stainless gun). Great big .45.

Now, my level of concealment may not be sufficient for you (I'm not super worried about total absolute concealment), and holsters are VERY individual things, and what works for one person may not work at all for the next person.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Anaconda
Would like to hear thoughts and opinions on holsters for concealed carry.
I live in a hot dry climate, if it matters.

I'm thinking outside the waist band.

The firearm will be a medium to compact 9mm
I like the El Paso Saddlery C-Force IWB holsters. Milt Sparks IWB holsters are great, too. I've used both. For most of my handguns, the C-Force is my preference, although for some handguns, the Sparks offerings are better.

I find that with certain short slide guns, like the S&W M&P Shield Plus, the C-Force isn't very comfortable, because in order to construct the holster to hold the gun high enough for a quick and easy draw, the gun has to be positioned so high (in relation to the belt line) as for the muzzle not to not sit low enough below the belt for the gun to feel secure there, and (due to the weight distribution of that gun being focused in the grip when fully loaded) gravity causes it to bow out a bit at the grip, thus causing the muzzle to dig into my waist. Painful after many hours. But that's the only C-Force that I don't find comfortable to carry the gun it's designed for.

For the Shield Plus, I'd likely prefer the Sparks offerings, which have rigid leather flaps at the bottom that spread out any pressures like that against the waist and help hold everything securely in position.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Damn! Just checked out Milt Sparks Holsters. Back when I was buying them, the Versa Max II was $100.00. Now they're $178.00. Our nation's money sure doesn't go as far as it used to.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you're serious you need to think about IWB. I use 2 different types of holster.

Where I work, guns are prohibited. I go into the facility and change clothes in an open locker room. On work days, I carry in a simple kydex IWB with a single belt clip. It's easy to put it in or remove from the belt, secure, and comfortable enough for limited wear. When I head to work it comes off and gets locked in a cable vault.

If I'm not going to work, I'll carry all day long in an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck or Shape Shifter. For my money, Alien Gear has concealed carry figured out and locked down. Comfortable for all day, secure, easy to draw from, and comfortable for all day.
Did I mention that the alien gear holsters are comfortable for all day wear?

I chose the AG Shape Shifter for my new P365X. If you go this route, spend an hour or so at home playing with the weapon retention system. It's simple enough, but needs some experimentation to get it right for carry.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by johnw
If you're serious you need to think about IWB. I use 2 different types of holster.

Where I work, guns are prohibited. I go into the facility and change clothes in an open locker room. On work days, I carry in a simple kydex IWB with a single belt clip. It's easy to put it in or remove from the belt, secure, and comfortable enough for limited wear. When I head to work it comes off and gets locked in a cable vault.

If I'm not going to work, I'll carry all day long in an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck or Shape Shifter. For my money, Alien Gear has concealed carry figured out and locked down. Comfortable for all day, secure, easy to draw from, and comfortable for all day.

I chose the AG Shape Shifter for my new P365X. If you go this route, spend an hour or so at home playing with the weapon retention system. It's simple enough, but needs some experimentation to get it right for carry.

🤣

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The Milt Sparks Optics Ready works. No matter if your pistol has an optic on it or not.

High ride and straight drop.

Superb holster.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a lot of Kydex holsters. They work.

Sam......

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That’s your opinion. What’s comfortable to you may just be totally uncomfortable to others. Nothing wrong with OWB. I’ve used/still have Bianchi, Uncle Mikes, Kirkpatrick, Andrews, Privateer Leather and some I can’t remember the name of.

Swifty
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Nobody said anything about illegal carry or carrying in environments where it is forbidden.

The topic was concealed carry with a preference for outside the waistband holsters.

Legal concealed carry.

The very vast majority of us who carry guns actually do so legally. To imply that others are not serious about it is ridiculous.

I have carried a gun for a living more than 30 years, using both IWB and OWB rigs, as the situation and needs dictated. Both work fine.

This exact same holster (for a Glock 19) I have used while protecting dignitaries, diplomats, etc overseas:

Has been used to carry the gun I use to protect my kids as recently as last week while in town, then in the mountains:

I have carried a full size .45 like this 4506 with zero issue as well.

Even old school (and one of the very first) Blade-Tech straight drop 1911 rigs work with a good belt.

This rig has been carried under shirts, under suit coats, and used on a Governors Executive Protection team.

There are plenty of good OWB rigs out there.

An excellent kydex or plastic one is the Raven Perun.

I don't have a pic of mine currently as it is on loan at the moment.

Conceals well, nice and flat up against the body, and the cost is very reasonable.

Probably one of the best kydex rigs I have used.

There are a few good choices available.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I much prefer OWB. Not an argument for it or against IWB, just my preference.

I really like the Milt Sparks 55BN that Mackay posted. You can specify straight or FBI cant. It's my first choice by a fair margin. Following it, Kirkpatrick Leather's TSS is pretty good. It's not Milt Sparks but is available much faster and at a much lower cost. The TSS has an FBI cant. I prefer straight but can live with it...I haven't checked with them to see if it's available as a straight drop.

For kydex I really like Dale Fricke's Gideon Elite.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thank you for all the advice.
I checked several recommended web sites and found lots of good options.
Both IWB and outside. Will probably get one of each.
I will be 100% legal,

MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's the benefit of the BladeTech...it is IWB and OWB.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Nobody said anything about illegal carry or carrying in environments where it is forbidden.

And neither did I. Not one word.

The topic was concealed carry with a preference for outside the waistband holsters.

Legal concealed carry.

The very vast majority of us who carry guns actually do so legally. To imply that others are not serious about it is ridiculous.

I implied nothing. I stated clearly that IWB carry was better for concealed carry.

I have carried a gun for a living more than 30 years, using both IWB and OWB rigs, as the situation and needs dictated. Both work fine.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Legal concealed carry.

I implied nothing. I stated clearly that IWB carry was better for concealed carry.

Here again whether IWB or OWB there is no best that fits every person or situation. 90% of the time I open carry, did it for 35 years as concealed wasn’t allowed.
Mainly, I conceal carry to protect the Karen’s and people in need of safe spaces from going into a super panic mode. It’s easy to slip on a loose shirt or jacket.
I had a gal in 2001 at a Kwik Stop call the law on me. I was turkey hunting, stopped for lunch and forgot to take my 1911 out. Freaked out. Although the camo and face paint may of had something to do with it.

Swifty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've never found IWB to be better than OWB. Different, sure but not better.

Me

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Teal
I've never found IWB to be better than OWB. Different, sure but not better.
I FAR prefer IWB. MUCH better for concealment, and even more comfortable than OWB.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Legal concealed carry.

I'm pretty damn serious about it. Six out of seven days a week, I'm carrying a compact OWB. Been doing that for years. Frankly, I'm faster out of the holster with OWB. Yes, the IWB is slightly more concealable. Slightly. But I don't have a dress code to work around most of the time.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (10gaugemag, 6mmbrfan, 358wsm, 300_savage, 358WCF, 13 invisible), 1,187 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,220
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.