Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I expect the scope that I purchase to not have a canted reticle.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Then make all of this easy, and send it back. Let us know what they say.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
Then make all of this easy, and send it back. Let us know what they say.

3 degrees; I fear they'll say it's in spec.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Unless you plan to dial the turrets much. Then a 3 degree (i.e., 180 MOA) cant is a problem.

Can you provide an example of how much of a problem at 500 yards in inches off target.
Assuming the reticle is mounted level, of whatever “elevation” is dialed in, ~95% will be actual elevation and ~5% will be windage.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Phil11
It happens. Most people have had very good results from Leupold warranty. Like cars defects occour.

I've had great results with the Leupold warranty as well; however, I don't think 3 degrees of cant is covered as it's a VX-R. Unless something has changed, only the Mark 6 and Mark 8s are held to 1 degree—everything else is 3 degrees.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sandlapper
It happens. Most people have had very good results from Leupold warranty. Like cars defects occour.

I've had great results with the Leupold warranty as well; however, I don't think 3 degrees of cant is covered as it's a VX-R. Unless something has changed, only the Mark 6 and Mark 8s are held to 1 degree—everything else is 3 degrees.

That's my understanding as well, hence my reply above.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Sandlapper: Me thinks that thou dost try to find problems with Leupold scopes when there isn't one!
The scope body is round simply rotate the scope body in the rings until your perceived problem is nil - sheesh.
The "angle" of the top of a scope adjustment cap will NOT interfere with your shooting/accuracy EVER! At least it has never done so for me in 62+ years of shooting Rifles with scopes on them.
Long live Leupold & Stevens Corporation - a fine AMERICAN company.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Most people have had very good results from Leupold warranty..

God knows consumers need it a lot lately.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Leupold's position is that 3° isn't even 1% of how far it could be off.

This scope is in the 99th percentile.

You got a good one!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The best answer/solution was the "Tall Target Test". Square the reticule/POI if needed, or send it back.
Altho I`ve only sent a few scopes back for repair, and they were repaired, or replaced, never had a company tell me it was in "spec" and return the defected one to me. VERY bad advertizing.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
The turret housing isn't where the reticle is, though...

Yep.

Reticle needs to be square with the adjustments during movement.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the reticle is canted, you can NOT consistently use the vertical turret adjustment in the field and expect to hit. If you're not shooting past 250 yards or so, it's okay to plumb up the reticle to the action and do "Arkansas," I have, but reticles should be mechanically square to the scope BEFORE they're boxed and shipped.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always open threads with the name "Leupold" in the title for the sole purpose of reading people losing their minds both pro and anti. This one has been disappointing, from the aforementioned perspective, in that it has contained a "mostly" reasonable and intelligent discussion. I guess I'll go open a thread in the Hunter's Campfire to get my daily dose of hate and discontent.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MikeS
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Could always try it out. Mount with level crosshairs and then head down the range. If horizontal adjustment only gives some vertical movement as well (or visa versa) then there's a problem.

Correct, this sort of test is the only way to know for sure at longer ranges. I would run a " tall target" test at 100 yards to see if it is correctly tracking vertically, that is the groups track along a plumb line you draw on the target as you add elevation. I usually check to the 30 moa elevation point above the 100 yard zero.

I put a collimator in front of the scope just to see what the vertical tracking is doing if the reticle were leveled—it's tracking in-line with the elevation turret, at that same 3 degree off-plumb line.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
3 degrees of cant = a steaming pile of crap. How's that? I have some scopes which are 60+years old and some that are cheap Chinese junk. I don't have any with the reticle off by 3 degrees. GD

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Sandlapper
Originally Posted by MikeS
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Could always try it out. Mount with level crosshairs and then head down the range. If horizontal adjustment only gives some vertical movement as well (or visa versa) then there's a problem.

Correct, this sort of test is the only way to know for sure at longer ranges. I would run a " tall target" test at 100 yards to see if it is correctly tracking vertically, that is the groups track along a plumb line you draw on the target as you add elevation. I usually check to the 30 moa elevation point above the 100 yard zero.

I put a collimator in front of the scope just to see what the vertical tracking is doing if the reticle were leveled—it's tracking in-line with the elevation turret, at that same 3 degree off-plumb line.
So to be clear, the only thing that is "canted" is the bottom of the scope's turret saddle, a curved surface, is that right? Did you try turning the scope over and standing it on the turret cap?

Last edited by Moto_Vita; 10/06/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I always open threads with the name "Leupold" in the title for the sole purpose of reading people losing their minds both pro and anti. This one has been disappointing, from the aforementioned perspective, in that it has contained a "mostly" reasonable and intelligent discussion. I guess I'll go open a thread in the Hunter's Campfire to get my daily dose of hate and discontent.

laugh
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As long as the vertical and horizontal crosshairs are square, who cares about the body being off.

I use a plumb hung off of this converted 8' feeder hanger set over a t-post. Once I have the scope locked down, I square a target vertically at 100yds and do a box test, if it passes this, I will test it later at the range or the lease at the longest distance I can.

[Linked Image from texashuntingforum.com]

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Moto_Vita
So to be clear, the only thing that is "canted" is the bottom of the scope's turret saddle, a curved surface, is that right? Did you try turning the scope over and standing it on the turret cap?

The bottom of this scope's turret saddle is flat, not curved. It is my understanding that it's best to level off the bottom of the turret housing if it's flat because the turret caps themselves can change level when rotated.

Shows this at around the 9:45 mark:

Precision Rifle Scope Mounting & Leveling

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 1,918 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,874
Posts18,497,605
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.