-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know almost nothing about my mom's side of the family other than they were largely Scottish, some Irish and probably a bit English. Not sure how long mom's side has been in the U.S.

Dad's side has only been here since his grandpa came here from England via Canada shortly after the Civil War.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My mother did ours. Her side, she went all the way back to England. My father, who came from Italy, she found all the records were lost in a flood in northern Italy. My sister got curious and had DNA test run. My father ancestors probably came from Austria or Switzerland.

The Mormon church has the biggest registry of genealogy in the country

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Sis is a member of quite a few organizations including ancestry. She is registered to do research but rarely does anyone but our family.

Take those blood test with a big grain of salt. Blood DOES NOT correlate to location and DONOT make your genepool public

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
I’ve one twig of the family tree just like that, even documented on census with the new name and such but blood shows a different story. ...

My mother and her clan traced her family back to Harman Bach landing in Virginia circa 1638. She claimed there were times the family "tree" looked more like a "vine"...

There is a lot more of that than people think...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Mines is pretty interesting.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I DGAS, but cousin Dorothy did some of this, going back several generations, even visiting distant relatives back in Germany. Relatives fought on both sides in both WWI and II. One of my grandfather's cousins never came back from the Eastern Front - just disappeared without trace.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Well, I learned that we are direct descendants of WV royalty.

Trace back to Morgan Morgan. My cousin tells me my grandma and aunts used to attend the Morgan reunion yearly.

Had no clue.

Montana MOFO
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My Grandmother was way into this. She left bound copies, most of which were 4-5” thick with family group sheets. I kinda got into it about 8 years ago but haven’t done much with it in the last 5 years. In it were some notes, written in German about various family members. One read “killed by the maid” next to the mother’s name. Grandma was part French and that line ties into Royalty. Turns out I’m a direct descendant of Charlemagne - but so is half of Europe. It’s interesting to learn about your forebearers. Another is an ancestor who fell overboard from the Mayflower. Most, sadly, are just names and dates.

Enjoy, it’s a good hobby and you can collaborate with lots of peeps on your family line. Had some friends, a married couple, who started getting into this and found out they were 3rd cousins 😃.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
I’ve one twig of the family tree just like that, even documented on census with the new name and such but blood shows a different story. ...

My mother and her clan traced her family back to Harman Bach landing in Virginia circa 1638. She claimed there were times the family "tree" looked more like a "vine"...

There is a lot more of that than people think...

Another interesting discovery was one of the female progenitors. She had a cabin and small farmstead out in the woods during the Indian Wars. Never married, but had a passel of kids. On at least one occasion when the Indian raiding parties came though, she ran the kids off into the surrounding woods to fend for themselves, and then crawled into a hollow log with her favorite dog until the danger passed. Ya gotta love teaching kids responsibility at a young age...

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I never wanted to find out if my grandmomma was a hoe. Just kidding don't think they were but just because names are on paper it doesn't mean a thing about who babies belong to. 100 years ago families took in babies that a daughter or cousin had or a neighbor lady that died had.

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Yep. Maternal grandparents had 9 kids of their own. Raised 9 more that got dropped off or taken in. Grandfather was a coal miner. Managed to stay employed through out the Depression. Between the coal mine, a garden, and what the older boys shot, trapped, or pulled out of the river, all of the kids survived into adulthood.

My mother always commented that she never knew how poor they were growing up because everyone else around them was in the same situation.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
My Grandfather died when my father was 5 years old in depression era Southeastern Missouri. Consequently, I'm first generation out of the cotton fields. Dad went from the cotton fields to the CCC to the Army to the war in the Pacific.

He lived the first half of America's 20th century up close and personal. Weren't much white privilege associated with his upbringing.

On the other side I'm descended from the Clark's,...who looked around the country quite a bit and the Hill family of Virginia. Quite a few Virginia Hill's made a name for themselves in the Confederacy. The Hill bunch married into some "Johnny come lately's" from Cornwall who meandered across the ocean in the middle 1800s and set up in the Jackson Purchase region of Western Kentucky. They bought a piece of land that had been given to that Clark feller. It's interesting how the Clarks, the Hills, and the Trewollas all came together down there.

Quite a few of the old ones are buried here. I think I will be too,..if my wife will have my carcass hauled back down there.

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/1610954/bald-knob-cemetery

Bald Knob Kelley Cemetery was est. 1858 by Harriet Trewolla Owen Enders Harrison, upon the death of her 1st husband James L Owen. James and Harriet purchased 2631 acres of land which was originally part of a land grant the Governor of VA gave to George Rogers Clark for his services for surveying. This large track was known as The Bald Knob Tract, therefore Harriet felt that was an appropriate name for the graveyard.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My maternal grandfather died at age 86 in 1994, his obit states that his grandchildren and greatgrandchildren numbered over 100.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My grandmother in Bristol VA was related to Danish royalty.
The last time I saw her, 1956, she was wearing army boots, going into her barn to handmilk her 7 cows.
She told me the big red cow demands to be milked first.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Scotch Irish on my dad’s side and we go all the way back to Scotland. Big ol book.

Mom’s side goes back even further. From England. I’m sure you could tell from my previous posts that you’re talking with royalty can’t you? Direct descendant of King Richard. GGG (G?) grandfather was George Washington’s best bud. Pall bearer at his funeral and later buried right beside him.

Looking down my nose at all of you……😜

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is interesting to trace. I have some ancestors that served in the Revolutionary War. The earliest European came to Jamestown in 1623. He married an Indian girl in 1628. That does make sense as I read that in 1650 there were 50 Englishman for every Englishwoman in Virginia.

One thing a lot of people do is they automatically assume that the husband was the father. I don't want to paint my ancestors or anyone else in bad light but going back to people that we don't know, there might have been some messing around that we don't know about.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Clarkm
My grandmother in Bristol VA was related to Danish royalty.
The last time I saw her, 1956, she was wearing army boots, going into her barn to handmilk her 7 cows.
She told me the big red cow demands to be milked first.

Mom would tell of her grandmother going out to milk and saying to Mom's brother, Bill, "Villie, you know that rote kuh? Thas issa sonuvuhbitch!".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Paternal side from Sicily with input from Albania in the 1500's or so. At least that's the story from the relatives that have done some research. Also English by way of my grandma who's family was in Nova Scotia.

Maternal side Irish, and Alsatian according to mom.

Some interesting history about the Albanians in Southern Italy and Sicily. Anyone interested look up the Arbereshe.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Descended from religious fanatics, pork miners, and kohlrabi mongers
Kohlrabi mongers ??

You must explain.

kwg

Ones who engage in the wholsesale and retail sale of kohlrabis. Duh!
Kohlrabies have value ??

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1lesfox, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 160user, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,926
Posts18,498,564
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.