Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by buffybr
I shot my first elk back in 1966 with a borrowed .30-40 Krag and whatever factory bullets my Uncle gave me with that rifle. 13 hits later that bull was finally on the ground...2 bullets through the antlers, 3 bullets creased the hair on the top of his back, and 7 more in various places until he finally stopped broadside about 50 yards from me and I put one just behind his shoulder. The best thing that I learned from that "hunt" was to not aim for the head when the animal is so far away that the bead front sight completely covers the elk.

I shot my next 8 elk with my scoped .30-06 shooting 150 grain Hornady or 180 grain Sierra cup and core bullets. All were shot just behind their shoulders and most were one shot kills. None of those bullets completely penetrated the animals.

My next elk was a big 6x6 bull that I shot in Montana's Absaroka Wilderness while I was on my first DIY, solo Unlimited tag bighorn sheep hunt. My rifle on that hunt was my .257 Ackley that I had built for deer size animals. This bull stopped broadside about 75 yards from me and simply dropped dead where was standing when my little 117 grain Sierra Gameking bullet hit him. That bullet hit a rib just behind his shoulder and bullet and bone fragments litterly shattered his lungs and heart, and didn't cut the rib cage on the off side.

Originally Posted by elkhunternm
2 holes/penetration. I would use Nosler Partitions, Swift A-Frames, North Forks in my elk rifles.
When I built my .257 Ackley I also had my .30-06 re-chambered to .30 Gibbs. With the increased velocity of the Gibbs I switched to 180 grain Nosler Partition bullets, and I shot my next 20 or so elk, and 2 Sirias bull moose, with that combination. All were broadside, just behind the the shoulder shots, and most were one shot kills. I found most of those Partition bullets just under the bulls hides on the off shoulder.

Originally Posted by bwinters
...I’ve shot a pile of deer with a homemade recurve, wood arrows, and 2 blade cut-on-impact broadheads (Zwickey FYI). It ain’t foot pounds of energy that kills animals, its massive trauma to blood carrying vessels and/or central nervous system that kills them.

I am curious what camp you all fall in with respect to animals bigger than deer - fragmentation or 2 holes/penetration? What bullet do you use given your fragmentation/penetration philosophy?
In 1973 I also killed an elk with my Herter's recurve bow and a Fred Bear broadhead. It was a 10 yard spot and stalk shot with the arrow entering just behind the bull's shoulder and the point exiting just behind his off shoulder. When he ran through the thick oak brush both ends of the arrow broke off, leaving about a foot of the shaft in his lungs. I wouldn't call a broadhead slicing through an animal's lungs "massave trauma" compared to the large, bloodshot wound channel that a high velocity, high energy bullet would make with the same shot. My arrow shot elk simply drowned in his own blood.

It's energy that drives the arrow or bullet deep into or through the animal.

In recent years I've killed 2 elk with my .300 Weatherby and a Barnes 168 grain TSX bullet and a 168 grain Barnes TTSX bullet. The first bull was about a 100 yard broadside shot that entered just behind his left shoulder and exited behind his right shoulder. He ran 3 steps spraying blood 10' from each hole and collapsed, dead. I was supprised at the small amount of blood damaged meat compared to damaged area from the Partition bullets of my previous elk.

This first pic shows the TSX bullet entrance hole through the hide and into the chest cavity, and the second pic shows the exit holes of that bullet.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

When I shot the second bull with my .300 Wby, I didn't follow my personal rule of "not shooting an animal that I want to eat in the shoulder". Because TSX bullet made so little meat damage on the bull that I killed with it, and the only shot that the second bull gave me was a front quartering shot, I shot him on the point of his shoulder. It was also only about a 100 yard shot. The TTSX bullet hit and shattered his upper front leg bone just below the shoulder blade, completley bloodshot about half of his shoulder meat, continued through most of his body, and stopped just under the hide of his off side ham.

I continue to use cup and core bullets for hunting with my .257 Ackley and 7mm Rem mag rifles, but just about all of the animals that I've shot with my .300 Weatherby and my .375 RUM were with either Barnes or Hammer mono copper bullets.

I like Ken's way of thinking on this. 2 bullet holes, or complete pass throughs. I also used the 180gr Nosler partitions in both the 30-06 and 300wizzums, bullets always found in the offside hide. No bueno. Stepped up to the 200gr partition and got pass throughs and destruction (internal damage), resulting in elk on the ground on the spot. Even one small bull I shot that was walking toward me, took a 200 to the chest and the bullet made its way through 1/2 the elk and penetrated. Bull dropped on the spot. That bullet also works great on deer.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can think of about twenty head of game Ive taken with the TSX and TTSX bullets. They ranged from 7mm (284) to 30 cal (30/06) to 340 Wby to the 375 H&H and from 140-gr to 168-gr to 210 to 270 in the 375. Muzzle velocities ranged from 3100 (284 Win) to 2850 (30/06) to 3100 (340), and about 2750 (375).

Game from smallest to largest was a nice whitetail buck to 6x6 bull elk and probably a heavier Burchell’s zebra. Included in the sample was a black bear, a heavy old mule deer buck, a kudu with most of the other plains game antelope, and a bunch of bull elk.

As I remember back, all were broadside shots except two. The exceptions were the big mule deer buck that got up from his bed and was taken right under the chin. The 140-gr TTSX coursed the length of his body and was found by his scrotum. So maybe 4’. The other was the black (blonde) bear that was a quartering away shot.

That mule deer bullet was one of three ever found out of the twenty. The second was under the off-side hide of a waterbuck, have first broken an unnoticed finger-sized branch about ten feet in front of him. It stay on course but flying sideways still penetrated the bucks chest. The third was from the offside hide of the big mare zebra, having broken her “shoulder blade” on entry.

Ranges ranged from ~ 100 yds to near 500 yds, lasered or walked off

These bullets were uniformly the most accurate bullet from my assorted rifles. The 284 hand loads would go under 3” inches at 400 yds for three shots and I shot several 100 yd less than half inch groups for three with the 375. The 30/06 was likewise accurate. The 340 lagged behind these a bit but but was easily good enough to 500 yds.

There are a lot of good bullets out there but when I found these Barnes’ bullets I was finished looking.

I was calm while I wrote this…

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
For elk and other bigger sized game I want a tough bullet that holds together and gives me 2 holes. I’ve been using the TSX/TTSX for years and of the last 4 big game animals I’ve shot not 1 took a single “real step” after being hit. 1 froze for several seconds which, if it wasn’t 15 feet away and spilling blood, would’ve led me to think I missed (I never miss 😀) until it’s legs just went out from under him. The other 3 literally just collapsed and kicked for 20 seconds. I’ve yet to track a big game animal that’s been hit well with a mono of appropriate size.

Comparing the effects of a 130gr TTSX from a .308 to a 100gr .257 is not an apples to apples comparison or indicator of terminal effectiveness of the bigger monos.

We all have developed our own thoughts and preferences based upon our experiences with various bullets….ultimately there are very few wrong answers anymore concerning bullet choice since most all big game bullets are pretty damn good these days.

For big boned, big muscle game like elk, moose and big bears I want a tough bullet and a better than not chance of complete penetration and a better blood trail. My 338wm gets either 210 TTSX or 225 Trophy Bonded Bearclaws or Swift A-Frames…. I got a complete pass through on a 537 yard shot on a cow elk in NE Utah using the 225 Trophy Bonded Bearclaw. Out of my 20” 338 I’m getting around 2675fps so not blistering speeds but with deadly results.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do any of you guys purposely shoot for a shoulder hit on bull elk to anchor it on the spot? Talking .30-06 168 TTSX. Yes, I know there will be some meat loss.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
8mm 180gr Barnes TSX & 338 200gr Nosler Ballistic Silvertip

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
I can think of about twenty head of game Ive taken with the TSX and TTSX bullets. They ranged from 7mm (284) to 30 cal (30/06) to 340 Wby to the 375 H&H and from 140-gr to 168-gr to 210 to 270 in the 375. Muzzle velocities ranged from 3100 (284 Win) to 2850 (30/06) to 3100 (340), and about 2750 (375).

Game from smallest to largest was a nice whitetail buck to 6x6 bull elk and probably a heavier Burchell’s zebra. Included in the sample was a black bear, a heavy old mule deer buck, a kudu with most of the other plains game antelope, and a bunch of bull elk.

As I remember back, all were broadside shots except two. The exceptions were the big mule deer buck that got up from his bed and was taken right under the chin. The 140-gr TTSX coursed the length of his body and was found by his scrotum. So maybe 4’. The other was the black (blonde) bear that was a quartering away shot.

That mule deer bullet was one of three ever found out of the twenty. The second was under the off-side hide of a waterbuck, have first broken an unnoticed finger-sized branch about ten feet in front of him. It stay on course but flying sideways still penetrated the bucks chest. The third was from the offside hide of the big mare zebra, having broken her “shoulder blade” on entry.

Ranges ranged from ~ 100 yds to near 500 yds, lasered or walked off

These bullets were uniformly the most accurate bullet from my assorted rifles. The 284 hand loads would go under 3” inches at 400 yds for three shots and I shot several 100 yd less than half inch groups for three with the 375. The 30/06 was likewise accurate. The 340 lagged behind these a bit but but was easily good enough to 500 yds.

There are a lot of good bullets out there but when I found these Barnes’ bullets I was finished looking for any big game hunting I would undertake.

I was calm while I wrote this…

Recovered 284 140-gr TTSX mule deer bullet:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Recovered zebra 375 270 TSX:

375 270-gr TSX bullet from waterbuck:

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 08/07/23.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Do any of you guys purposely shoot for a shoulder hit on bull elk to anchor it on the spot? Talking .30-06 168 TTSX. Yes, I know there will be some meat loss.

YES! There have been times, most recently on a BIG heavy bodied mule deer, where I wanted to anchor it so that it didn’t go over the edge. The big mule deer and I were at spitting distance but a couple feet behind him was a “cliff” that dropped more than 1,000’ straight down….there was no slope whatsoever, it was STRAIGHT down into the clouds. I actually had to dance with him a little so that I could angle the bullet to take out both shoulders hoping he wouldn’t kick himself off the ledge. The shot surprised me and was ideal, it took out both shoulder sockets and he dropped instantly, kicked once and expired. I had to struggle to move him further from the edge because it gave me the heeby jeebies being close to the edge. 😀. That was another one down to the .308 with 168gr TSX but the distance was only maybe 10 or 12 feet. In fact I recall the last 3 or 4 deer I’ve killed were at less than 16 feet and the last 2 elk were under 30 feet…

I’d do (and have done) exactly the same thing if it was an elk that needed to be anchored instead of a big mulie. 👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Yes for the same reason Aces said and on both deer and elk. I dont use Barnes bullets however.

Molon Labe
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Yes for the same reason Aces said and on both deer and elk. I dont use Barnes bullets however.

What bullet do you prefer? With modern metallurgy and technology it’s tough to get a “bad” HUNTING bullet. I emphasize hunting because I am not one that uses target bullets for hunting big game. I’m sure that many target bullets will kill if put into the right spot but with the great choices of hunting bullets today I see absolutely NO reason to use target bullets for hunting. All my hunting rifles are sub MOA with their favored rounds which is more than adequate for big game. I won’t choose a target bullet that shoots into .5MOA over a hunting bullet that shoots into 1MOA because it does NOT matter at all sane distances.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great thread so far..

Semper Fi
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have never lost an animal with Barnes bullets but not one of them died instantly, Barnes will anchor the animal but as you mention shoulder shot will require meat loss so I'll rather shoot Nosler Partition and go for the lungs.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bwinters: Careful placement of a 160 grain Nosler Partition from my 7m/m Remington Magnum into the heart/lungs area of Elk seems to result in a one shot kill every time!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't bet against that combo! I have 3-400, 7mm 160 gr Partitions on my reloading bench. All I need is a 7mm cartridge and rifle.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bwinters
I wouldn't bet against that combo! I have 3-400, 7mm 160 gr Partitions on my reloading bench. All I need is a 7mm cartridge and rifle.

Dangerous situation big fella!

Semper Fi
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Ace, I use partitions sometimes Accubonds. I have several nice custom barrels. When they were completed, the gunsmith told me the barrel man would not guarantee his barrels if Barnes were shot in them do to the heavy copper fouling. So I don't bother with them no need with Nosler, now the story may be different these rifles were done over 25 years ago.

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yes, the story is different over 25 years later. The grooved TSX bullet solved the fouling problem, because they don't foul barrels any more than jacketed lead-cores.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I absolutely shoot for shoulders. The 120gr BT has no problem. My brother shot a large cow elk at 220yds in the shoulder at my recommendation, she went over sideways like a piece of plywood.

I have also had the 'freeze' with TSX, but they eventually went straight down not taking a step, shooting through the vitals, dead on their feet.

Kent

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
On a bull elk, yep. All my life I have been by nature, risk averse. For that reason I cannot comprehend why folks fuss over the “minimum” caliber for elk in the other thread…unless we’re talking about a cow elk hunt. A mature bull is a tough animal. Wound one and as others have said on this website, it’s off to the races then.

For that reason, I keep things simple. Sako 338 loaded with 225 grain North Forks. I feel I am adequately prepared for when things don’t go “perfect”. In postmortem interviews all elk have said they thought they were struck by lightning, or something to that effect.

Last edited by Godogs57; 08/07/23.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I was poisoned on early monos out of a 270 for WT. Penciled through. Would turn into tracking rodeos.

Went back to heavy for caliber c&c, then partitions. No more rodeos. Killed my first few elk with bergers, then accubonds and a few with 200 gr eldx. Now onto terminal ascents. They knock the life out of elk.

I guess I probably won't go back to monos.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Big fan of ttsx!
168 ttsx out of 06, 130 in 270. Both have taken elk down with ease. From 25 yards to 400 something yards.
My only con, is they are not the cheapest to shoot in off season. For range time I got some game kings and they are top notch bullet for the price on paper and elk. Took them on a cow hunt, Shot a cow elk in back from close range. Perfect mushroom, stayed together from up close in a hot load, found under the hide.
Pic of 180 grain Game kings . 123 gr.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Elk ttsx
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Dre; 08/07/23.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1234, 160user, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 65 invisible), 1,910 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,884
Posts18,497,798
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.