Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by StudDuck
I've owned a BUNCH of A-Bolt II rifles. There's still a 243Win, Composite Stalker in my safe.

Trigger Tech doesn't make a trigger for an ABII or they didn't last time I checked. The only thing I would do is replace the factory trigger spring with a Timney spring. You can thank me later. It's the best, cheapest and really the only needed upgrade for an ABII.

I think I’ll thank you now…..thanks. 😀

Does Timney make a drop in trigger? Mine is an A-Bolt I according to the info posted by the knowledgeable guys here.

No sir, no drop in trigger.

Here's a link to the springs you'll need. I've always used the lighter of the two and been happy with the results.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

HR IC

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Got my spring from M-Carbo about $10. And it does make a difference. Its sweet to shoot now.

Last edited by SDupontJr; 08/14/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
For those of you that have experience with the A-Bolt (NOT X-bolt) what do you think are their weaknesses and what would you focus on replacing?

Have a .375 Wby Stainless Stalker 26" barrel that started life as an H&H. It's been my bear rifle since 2005 or 2006. I've crawled MILES through dark spruce on my belly and lips pushing that rifle ahead of me. It has never failed to feed, fire of function in any way. It'll go a thin whisker over 1 1/2" for 5 shots at 100 yards with 250 SGK's at 3060 fps. I added a LimbSaver pad to the hind end.

Only thing I "changed" was I swapped the 6-32 mount holes for 8-40's.

Last edited by Yoder409; 08/14/23.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve had probably mix of 10 A-Bolts and A-Bolt II’s. They’ve all shot as good as any custom I’ve had. Still have a Stainless Stalker in .270 Win. No hiccups from anything Browning.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought an A-bolt II new in .338 WM right around the time the BOSS came out. That has to be the loudest muzzle brake every created and I'm sure it contributed to me wearing hearing aids now-adays. The biggest issue I had with mine was the screws would all loosen up after a dozen or so shots and the stock doesn't take "character" well. Would be an easy fix but she currently lives in the back of my gun safe.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My first center fire rifle was an a-bolt hunter in 223. The only thing I have done to it is swap scopes for no particular reasons and shoot it.

It is actually all ready to go in the field with me early morning to see if we can call a varmint or two.

I would just shoot it unless you had a problem with it, or was taking it on a lifetime hunt.

YMMV

-John

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
I really appreciate all the replies and suggestions! I ordered the spring kit and a rail as well as an extra mag. The only rings or bases available locally was a set of 1” Talley LW so I bought them since I like having at least 2 sets of rings and bases for each rifle. I mounted a Leupold VX II 3-9 in the Talleys but when the rail comes I’ll bed it to the receiver and put a Meopta 3-9 on it and keep the Leupold for a backup scope.

I couldn’t warm up to the high gloss pimp-daddy finish so I removed it and refinished the stock with a matte finish. It looks like a hunting rifle now. 😀. I’m looking forward to getting it sighted in and maybe it’ll get bloody this year.

Thanks again for all the replies.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Mine never did me wrong

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
As far as recoil on the Browning A Bolt in338 Win Mag, I load 225 grain and 250 grain Hornady SP bullets in it,
but use 4064 for powder, vs 4350 or 4831 powders.

I might give up 50 to 100 fps MV, but at the same time, I also give up a big difference in recoil also..

Using RL 15 or IMR 4895 has given me the same results. My rifle has the black synthetic stock as does the 30/06.

The 300 Win Mag came with a wood stock. Occasionally I hunt with it, or loan it out to a kid, with a 150 or 165 grain bullet, with a load of 22 grains of Unique....it is running at 30/30 speeds, but the ergos on the stock, it kicks much less than a Model 94. I can wind it up to 300 Win Mag speeds, using 300 Weatherby loads with a 180 or 220 grain RN, and 83 grains of H 1000. Which for some reason recoils less than a load of H 4831... or at least perceived recoil.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Good info Seafire and when it comes to reloading I appreciate your input.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I've owned, or still own, A-Bolts from .22 mag to .300 WM and they were/are ALL great rifles. I did swap out the trigger springs as mentioned above. Give yours an open minded chance and I think you will like it....

Dave
Life Member NRA
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
I scrubbed the barrel clean and got all copper out of it. Yesterday I fired 3 fouling shots that were about an inch with 2 different loads. I then decided to try a 3 shot group from a lousy rest over the porch railing and put 3 into 3/4” so I think this old rifle still has more life left in her. I’ll dial it in more later but I used my old boresighter and never touched the dials….at least not yet. I’m sure this will work just fine and it definitely shows potential. It appears to like the 225gr TBBC which is fine with me but I’ll run some 210TSX’s through it and see how it likes the 200gr ballistic tips too. Those are the go to bullets for me in this caliber. 👍🏼

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Aces, all due respect but I'll be damned if I understand the concept of buying a rifle just to loan it out. If I ever came to the conclusion I had to provide a loaner I'd go find a bubba sporterized 7.7 jap arisaka complete with piss poor irons and original retard safety. Just to make sure they only asked once. I don't loan dogs, women, guns , vehicles ,money, or any kind of cutting tools..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, BamaCKC, 300_savage, AussieGunWriter, 10 invisible), 1,191 guests, and 711 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,232
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.