Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Just read an article where an "expert" says not to buy Costco gold 1 ounce bars. His reasons.....
1. It is a bar but in fits in your hand!
2. Someone could come to your house and steal it.
3. ( Only half way reasonable thing stated). You have to pay over "spot" to get it and then get lower than spot when you sell.

He says to buy funds. You know the internet fantasy that could disappear in a blink. I say own some tangible assets, whether gold, silver, guns, art , property.......
The deep state wants you to put everything into something they can get and control. I have retirement accounts online too but......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by papalondog
Just read an article where an "expert" says not to buy Costco gold 1 ounce bars. His reasons.....
3. ( Only half way reasonable thing stated). You have to pay over "spot" to get it and then get lower than spot when you sell.

He says to buy funds. You know the internet fantasy that could disappear in a blink. I say own some tangible assets, whether gold, silver, guns, art , property.......
The deep state wants you to put everything into something they can get and control. I have retirement accounts online too but......
Never been a fan of gold. Gold is being purchased for a chit hit the fan type of situation. What good would gold be in a situation like that? Buy ammo, food, guns ect. Chit that has real value in a world on fire type of thing imo

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Gold has been a poor investment for the last 3 decades.

It is an immensely portable asset though. If you are worth tens of millions, and trying to preserve wealth, you could make an argument.

If you are trying to grow wealth don't even try to make an argument.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Originally Posted by papalondog

Never been a fan of gold. Gold is being purchased for a chit hit the fan type of situation. What good would gold be in a situation like that? Buy ammo, food, guns ect. Chit that has real value in a world on fire type of thing imo

I see it that way also, but then again there could be scenarios far different from what we imagine could happen in the future. It could be "uhh ohh," or it could be "ohh, shit!" Or maybe something in between.

Decades ago I reasoned it out and concluded that the lowly .22 LR cartridge could become the coin of the realm in a SHTF scenario. I invested. May not ever be worth much, but then again...

As Geedub says...quien sabe?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gold is good.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best to think of it as a hedge, an insurance policy.....

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by irfubar

I do believe that as "Coke is the real thing," gold is the real money, so there's that.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's a great deal for those selling it.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

It is an immensely portable asset though. If you are worth tens of millions, and trying to preserve wealth, you could make an argument.

Those of modest means might better look for something within those means. Rich folks can afford to splurge a bit on “insurance” like gold.

Gotta remember that the government once made it illegal to hold bullion. They might do it again. Coins were still legal to hold IIRC.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

Those of modest means might better look for something within those means. Rich folks can afford to splurge a bit on “insurance” like gold.

Gotta remember that the government once made it illegal to hold bullion. They might do it again. Coins were still legal to hold IIRC.

Yes, modest means.... buy silver... wink

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Silver is a joke. I'd buy ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tesoro
You do realize you can buy both? silver was money... until 1964

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Will everyone have to carry around a little acid test kit to prove it’s authenticity and carat weight?

You can’t have buys and sellers getting duped by that Good on a Roll crap down at the Compton’s Swap Meet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Will everyone have to carry around a little acid test kit to prove it’s authenticity and carat weight?

You can’t have buys and sellers getting duped by that Good on a Roll crap down at the Compton’s Swap Meet.

If we get to that point, that will be the least of your worries

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I like gold. I like Krugerrands.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lead will be the new "precious metal". Especially when loaded in a primed & charged brass outer shell.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Lead will be the new "precious metal". Especially when loaded in a primed & charged brass outer shell.
Exactly. Smart money goes to ammo

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Only ancient coins were still legal. All US gold coins and bullion were supposed to be turned in. Only like 2% of gold in private hands was actually turned in, though. Banks all turned in their gold (which got melted into big bars), but private citizens didn't, for the most part. They just kept it in the family, generation to generation, till it was legalized again forty some odd years later.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Tesoro
You do realize you can buy both? silver was money... until 1964
It never stopped being money. Neither did gold. They just stopped being currency, or rather the government made our currency fiat, i.e., removed the backing to it. It used to be backed by real money, i.e., gold and silver. Today, it's only valuable because you have to pay your taxes in it, which maintains a certain level of demand for it. Which is why they needed the 16th Amendment before they took gold and silver out of our currency.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I’ve got some. Probably pick up more if the right circumstances and urges hit me.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (300_savage, AB2506, AscensionIndustries, 10gaugemag, Akhutr, 10 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 662 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,224
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.