Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by johnw
No one needs to nudge China for them to fail. They're already in full on failure mode.
Xi, in attempting to tighten the reins of power and stifle competition for political power has crippled them til they're nearly non-functional.

Witness the recently revealed miscount of population which has and will affect China both in industrial production and military might. This is a product of the attempt to consolidate power. The whole house of cards is coming down. China will not be a major industrial player in the year 2030.
Watch them look to Siberia as an opportunity to recoup.

This is very possible.

Won't be great for the USA in the short term if the ChiComs burn down to fast.

Wouldn't be great for China if the US failed. They are currently, and have been for two generations, the single greatest recipient of the US Navy's efforts to assure free passage for oceanic trade vessels

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No one needs to nudge China for them to fail. They're already in full on failure mode.
Xi, in attempting to tighten the reins of power and stifle competition for political power has crippled them til they're nearly non-functional.

Witness the recently revealed miscount of population which has and will affect China both in industrial production and military might. This is a product of the attempt to consolidate power. The whole house of cards is coming down. China will not be a major industrial player in the year 2030.
Watch them look to Siberia as an opportunity to recoup.

This is very possible.

Wouldn't be great for China if the US failed. They are currently, and have been for two generations, the single greatest recipient of the US Navy's efforts to assure free passage for oceanic trade vessels

There's a God in heaven who has warned us to avoid his wrath. Beans, bullets, bandages and bullion are all ok, in their place. Without faith in God failure is certain.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I don’t want to beat a dead horse but I don’t think precious metals are a good trade item when society has collapsed and survival is the only task. I’m certainly not trying to dissuade anyone from availing themselves of that option but I’d use it as one more “tool in my toolbox” as it regards trade items but I wouldn’t go “heavy” into them instead preferring things like meds, fire, ammo, vitamins, etc. I could be wrong but based upon the experiences of others that went through similar scenarios it sounds like a Bic lighter or a simple book of matches is preferable to a gold bar when one is cold, hungry and needing to sterilize bandages or purify water…. A couple scoops of aquarium antibiotics (amoxicillin etc) or a few packets of sugar will do things that a gold bar won’t do. There’s a million little things that really matter in our everyday life that we take for granted. Remove a few of those things and the fragile people and sheep start to whither.

It’s easy to imagine what we’d do but it’s another thing altogether to do it. Oftentimes I think we overlook the little things that make life easier and instead we gravitate towards the “big” things like fuel or post apocalyptic transportation or weaponry or any of the big things that are “fun” to think about but it’ll likely be the little thing that kills most people. Infection, lack of proper vitamins-nutrition, inability to maintain a hygienic camp and improper waste disposal, inability to effectively treat dysentery/diarrhea, dehydration-electrolyte replacements and basic wound care will (likely) kill FAR more people than anything else.

Even if a family was able to store everything necessary to survive the collapse….even though they spent $10 million dollars on their secure family compound and underground bunkers for safe storage the accumulation of goods is only as useful as the knowledge they possess to employ those items! Nowadays people don’t think they need to “remember” things or retain knowledge since Google is only a click away and everything you need to know is right there…..until it isn’t! All the first aid gear in the world is only as useful as the knowledge of the person using it. Having every medication and antibiotic available today is only as useful as an accurate diagnosis and proper dosing.

I believe that in a case of TEOTWAWKI or societal collapse that the BIGGEST threat that EVERYONE faces is THEMSELVES! Our own ignorance will be the toughest obstacle to overcome since there won’t be any internet to explain how to do the basics of survival.

I probably took this a little off track and for that I apologize but I think we often focus on the things that are obvious like being able to buy and barter while we forget or ignore the real issue…..being prepared MENTALLY!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is very possible.

I do believe the ChiComs need US markets and US protection on the high seas more than we need their cheap products.

But that does not mean going cold turkey on ChiCom products would not sting more than a bit here in the USA.

We are bring back production. Lets hope the ChiComs do a slowish burn and give us time to soften the shock.

That said there is no way the ChiComs can survive long term. Massive debt, over built real estate.

Many here won't understand but Mexico will be important in reducing our dependance on ChiCom products.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Just a thought?

Anybody know how many grams of gold it took to buy a 100 lbs of beans around Sutter's Mill circa, 1850-1855? A side of beef? A fifth of whiskey? 10 minutes with a whore? A cured pork belly?

I found this article interesting, but it does not mention what the miners were paying for their tools and commodities.

This is an interesting quote concerning the true value of precious metals during wild times.
https://globalcapitalism.history.ox.ac.uk/files/goldrushbankingcasepdf

On 10 March 1851 (see Figure 1), a Lester Burnett consigned a package of ‘Placer Gold [gold dust
recovered from alluvial surface deposits, or placers, using water], said to contain’ US$631 to Freeman &
Co., Adams’s principal feeder carrier in Sacramento, California, for shipment to the Mint in Philadelphia
by way of San Francisco and New York. Burnett paid $47.32, or 7.5% of the shipment’s stated value,
for ‘Freight and Insurance to New York’. Burnett declared the
shipment’s value at $631 for insurance purchases; its true value
is unknown. Burnett probably paid an extra 0.5% to ship from
Sacramento, rather than San Francisco.

The article mentions typical East Coast gold dust prices around $17/ounce at this time period. But the San Francisco miners were getting $1.25 in minted coins per ounce. San Franciscans got used to taking it up the keister a long time ago.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JakeM78
Here's a test to determine if PMs will be worth a hoot when rebuilding, as some suggest. Break off a few pieces to pay for your next burrito and rice meal at a Mexican restaurant and see if the take it. If so, then I say your argument has legs, because you old folks will need the Mexican labor to rebuild.

Just because your burrito dealer will not accept a piece of silver today does not mean that “changes might” occur to have him want to accept it some time in the future. Yes I guess I am an old man, I skinned two deer last year, know how to build a fire, plant a garden, and fix stuff. I believe the reason some of us are concerned is that our parents went through the Great Depression and half of their stories were about the life and what it was like. If you see the banks fail, the dollar fail, then barter might be the only option, cheap whiskey, tobacco, silver, 22 cartridges etc.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

240 members (1_deuce, 338reddog, 219 Wasp, 30Gibbs, 10ring1, 29aholic, 25 invisible), 1,693 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,205
Posts18,524,227
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.