-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of hype over nothing? Will it sway new buyers that were looking for a 7 mag? Looks like a good cartridge for hunting and long range steel.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
My total experience with the 7mm PRC consists of a 2-day shoot at the FTW Ranch in Texas in August 2023. Rather than try to do the typical Campfire 1-paragrah summation, here's the column I did for Sports Afield:

THE NEW REMINGTON 700

Early in my gun-writing career, one of the profession’s legendary names was among a group of writers invited by to tour some optics factories in Germany. After we got to know each other a little, I asked what he thought was the best factory rifle made in America, and he immediately answered: “The Remington 700.”

While this guy was an avid hunter, he was also an avid target shooter in various disciplines, from short-range benchrest to longer-range “position” shooting, so one of his primary rifle criteria was accuracy. Remington 700s were indeed very accurate, and in fact after a little extra “accurizing” one of my first 700s would group three shots in around an inch—at 300 yards, with a 4x scope. This was the cheapest sporter-weight 700 then made, an ADL with a walnut stock featuring “impressed checkering”—and was not chambered in a varmint or “target” cartridge, but the .270 Winchester.

Since then Remington has gone through some hard times, eventually resulting in the company declaring bankruptcy, and its various divisions being sold to other companies. The firearms division ended up with a new investment group, and they made some major changes in the way Remington firearms are made—including 700s.

This was why a bunch of gun writers were invited to attend an event at the FTW Ranch in Texas, which has dozens of different ranges spread across 12,000 rugged acres in the Hill Country. I happily accepted, due to having visited the ranch several times since 2010, so knew there’s always something to be learned at the FTW.

The first lesson on this trip involved improvements the new Remington Arms LLC had made in the 700. Both CEO Ken D’Arcy (who was between a couple of hunting trips) and Vice-President of Engineering Hunter Cummings gave presentations on these changes, by introducing a new 700 called the Alpha 1.

The 700 originated as a more esthetic version of the 721/722 rifles the company had introduced shortly after World War II, made with speeded-up manufacturing techniques developed during the war by a Remington engineer named Merle “Mike” Walker. Among other things, Walker essentially perfected the ”button” rifling method while making 1903A3 Springfield barrels--the same technique used by many, if not most, rifle-barrel manufacturers today. Another quick manufacturing technique used in both the 1903A3 and 721/722 was stamping rather than machining some parts.

Of course, Remington’s new sporting rifles were heavily criticized by “traditional” gun writers--but cost less than traditionally made rifles, while often shooting more accurately, partly because Mike Walker was also a pioneer in the growing sport of benchrest shooting. The dressed-up version named the 700 appeared in 1962, and sold so well it helped put an end to the pre-1964 Winchester Model 70--an excellent rifle, but made with traditional, slow and expensive methods.

During the pre-bankruptcy period Remington’s quality-control went downhill—and when the new company started producing 700s, they eventually made several changes addressing criticisms made over the years. While the Alpha 1 bolt resembles the original 700’s, it’s constructed very differently. Instead of the bolt body being several parts soldered together, the new body is one-piece and fluted for easier travel, and the extraction cam has also been changed to make opening the bolt easier.

The bolt handle now screws on—instead of being brazed, which occasionally resulted in the handle coming off. The screw-on handle not only attaches far more securely, but can be changed easily, which fits right into the modern “self-customizing” trend epitomized by AR-15s and Ruger 10/22s. The bolt-stop’s been changed from a sheet-metal stamping on the side of the trigger, to a more conventional (and stronger) toggle on side of the receiver. The Alpha 1 also comes with a Picatinny rail mounted with 8-40 screws, instead of the traditional 6-48, and the trigger isn’t a Remington but a Timney Elite, adjusted to a 3-pound pull.

The barrels have also been upgraded, first by using better steel. The rifling itself is now what’s called 5R. Rather than featuring traditional 4- or 6-groove rifling, which places lands and grooves opposite each other, five grooves place the lands opposite the grooves, result in less bullet deformation. The two sides of each land also slope inward slightly, for the same reason. The barrels also feature the popular 11-degree “target” crown, and their muzzles are threaded for various attachments, with a cap to protect the threads when nothing’s attached.

The rifling twists for some cartridges have been tightened to handle longer, higher-BC bullets, good examples being the 1-8 twist in Alpha 1 .243 Winchesters and 7mm Remington Magnums. Magazines and ejection ports are longer to better handle such bullets, and the barrels fluted to save weight. All of this is held in a stiff carbon composite stock, featuring a Pachmayr recoil pad.

Additionally, actions, bolts and barrels are made so precisely that any Remington bolt and barrel of the correct size can now be switched—and chamber headspace will remain the same. 700s have always been pretty precisely made, the reason many gunsmiths (both professional and amateur) have been switching barrels on ‘em for decades, but the headspace doesn’t always remain within industry limits.

Long-time custom gunsmith Charlie Sisk and I (a long-time amateur gunsmith) have compared our experiences in switching 700 barrels, and we’ve both found headspace is OK about 75-80% of the time—which ain’t bad. But with the Alpha 1 it's 100%, saving amateurs with barrel vises a trip to a professional gunsmith.

Half the rifles tested were 700 Elite 1s in 6.5 Creedmoor with 22-inch barrel, but the other half were a version of the Model 700 Long Range chambered in 7mm PRC. The barrels weren’t fluted, and the rifles weighed more, around nine pounds including their Swarovski X5i scopes. The ammunition was Hornady ELD Match, the 6.5 Creedmoors loaded with the 147-grain ELD-M bullet at a listed at 2675 fps, and 7mm PRCs with the 180-grain ELD-M at 2975.

The first day, half of us shot the 6.5 Creedmoors and half shot the 7mm PRCs—then switched to the other rifle during the second day. All the shooting was done from prone with bipods, and after each shooter sighted-in at 100 yards (generally resulting in 3 shots touching, or nearly so), we started shooting at gongs.

The standard gong set-up at the FTW is a 9-inch round gong, representing the "vital zone" of a typical deer-sized big game animal, with a smaller gong next to it. The drill was to first shoot the big gong, then as quickly as possible shoot the smaller one--and the new 700 bolt design made this noticeably easier when shooting from prone.

The first day my “squad” shot the 6.5 Creedmoors, out to around 600 yards. While South Texas was hotter than usual (though no hotter than back at my home in southwestern Montana), there wasn’t as much wind. It was relatively easy to hit both gongs—as long as the barrels didn’t get overheated, which can also affect the scope’s view. Each squad’s shooters rotated shooting at each pair of gongs, so the barrels didn’t get super-hot—and the Swarovski scopes performed perfectly during a bunch of dialing up and down.

The next day we shot the 7mm PRC’s on a longer range, with a pair of gongs every 100 yards out to 800. I almost ran the pairs "clean" out to 800, but missed one small gong with the first shot, then hit it with a second. Most of the other shooters did just as well, and our general impression was that the 7mm PRC, with that particular ammo, was among the most wind-resistant and accurate loads we'd ever tried, especially in a relatively lightweight rifle.

The 6.5 Creedmoor Elites showed up on Remington’s website soon after the Texas shoot, but it took a little longer for the 7mm PRC to appeared in the info for their 700 Long Range model. I know several people that are going to buy one ASAP—including somebody I know particularly well!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Thanks Mule Deer. As usual, an excellent article that answers a lot of questions. 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you for taking the time to post that JB.

Were the 7MM PRC rifles 22” or 24”? I don’t think you mentioned that.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
26", which is on their website.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The new Alpha-1 sounds like a heckofa rifle - but at nearly $2K retail price, it should be!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
And IF you can find one! I didn't start looking for one to buy until around when that article appeared, because I was otherwise involved in Montana's fall hunting seasons. There wasn't one to be found on the Internet, so I decided to wait a while. Still haven't found one....

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
JB- Do you know if the Alpha 1 will be available in a left hand version?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
No, I don't--and cannot recall if that subject even came up in Texas.

John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Good report John, as always. I think it's worth mentioning that the "old Remington", didn't go broke over the firearms they built, but over a LEVERAGED BUYOUT, that left them in an impossible position !!!

"not too grumpy"
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
JB, we’re any of the factory loads, in particular the 7 PRC chronographed?

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Not during the shoot--but I suspect they're pretty close to Remington's numbers. There's no reason they shouldn't be.

Will add that if we had chronographed the ammo during the shoot, velocities might well have been higher than advertised, due to South Texas being pretty hot in August. While many of today's powders are more temperature-resistant than ever before, I haven't tested one at temperatures above 80 that didn't gain velocity--and hence pressure.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
An article you might care to peruse........

https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/7mm-prc/

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
GW, Thanks for that

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1minute, 204guy, 160user, 12344mag, 1234, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 1,902 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,901
Posts18,498,118
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.