Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
First off, I hate the look of the laminated stock. It simply looks stupid. But the more I look at it the more practical it seems. It is so ugly it is starting to look pretty good. The laminated wood is much less prone to warping and shifting the point of impact and the length of pull is adjustable which offers some flexibility when hunting in either warm or cold weather. The laminated stock should also be less prone to splitting due to recoil. Built in scope bases and rock solid rings. Add in a decent trigger, removable muzzle brake, factory iron sights, and barrel band sling swivel. A lot to like for a $1,200 rifle and it even comes in left hand in caliber 375 Ruger.

The question is, how do they shoot, feed, and eject?
One in 338 WM would make a nice present for my son who resides in Alaska and the 375 would suit me as I am a lefty.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Have the RH .375. Like it lots. Glass bedded because the angled front screw wouldn't stay 90# tight. Three in < 1", five usually between 1 and 1.25" at 100 yds. Have around 250-300 rds through it, throat looks brand new.

Bullets used: Speer 235, 270, 285 - Hornady 270 RP and RN, 300 gr RN - Nosler 300 gr Partition and AB - old-style Win 300 gr ST. Mine likes the 4350 burn rate, up to IMR-4831. Not as accurate with faster powders.

Found the Hornady manual data (test rifle same model) approximates what obtains with my gun pretty well. Easily get 2750 fps with 270s, 2575 fps with 300s.

Cycles fine, bit rough at first, but slicking up. Heavy but reasonably handy thanks to weight between the hands. Comfortable with brake, could shoot it all day from bench.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
First off, I hate the look of the laminated stock. It simply looks stupid. But the more I look at it the more practical it seems. It is so ugly it is starting to look pretty good. The laminated wood is much less prone to warping and shifting the point of impact and the length of pull is adjustable which offers some flexibility when hunting in either warm or cold weather. The laminated stock should also be less prone to splitting due to recoil. Built in scope bases and rock solid rings. Add in a decent trigger, removable muzzle brake, factory iron sights, and barrel band sling swivel. A lot to like for a $1,200 rifle and it even comes in left hand in caliber 375 Ruger.

The question is, how do they shoot, feed, and eject?
One in 338 WM would make a nice present for my son who resides in Alaska and the 375 would suit me as I am a lefty.

I share the same feeling/view of the looks. It took awhile to appreciate the practicality. I have a couple in 30-06 that I bought used. I have not shot either of them yet. I have replaced the stocks with Bell & Carlson stocks. No issues with feeding various rounds though either. One of these has had the barrel threads cut off and re-crowned.

I think they are handy little rifles. Though, I am also a fan of the older 20" stainless 375 & 416 Rugers. Perhaps my favorite using-rifles. They definitely are favorites for my moose hunting. The groups with 270 grain TSX & LRX for the 375, and 350 TSX & TTSX have been very pleasing. A couple of the 416's, I did do a bit of required polishing to feed wider / flatter meplat bullets, and smooth out the feed rail edges.

My son bought a 20" stainless Ruger with the Hogue stock. I am not sure if he has fired it yet. I cycled, 225 grain Hornady & Barnes factory loads through this rifle without issue. A couple of days ago, we swapped the stock with one of the take off Guide Gun laminated stocks. He wanted a shorter LOP for winter use. I think, this will be his snowmachine rifle. I still want to bed this laminated one, and run some loads over the chronograph.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 163bc, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,918
Posts18,498,417
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.