Campfire Member
S
What’s your favorite go to brand.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
After having tried just about everything, I keep going back to the old Cortland peach colored 444.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
just put a SA Frequency in buckskin color on a 6 wt Classic Trout rod to get rid of the bright orange line I had on it. Don't remember now what that line was. Tried a few casts in the back yard and was impressed. I know it's not one of the $125+ lines a lot of people use, but then I'm not a frequent user of fly rods.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I mostly use 444s. My fishing has tapered off. Wading creeks is not as easy as it used to be. Hopefully, I will locate some hip waders so I can used my wading boots. For small creeks, chest waders are too much.

Back to fly lines, that peach colored one works best on my old Fenwick glass rods. They are so much fun to use. If I am fishing really big water then I may use a more modern rod.

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
https://m.maxcatchfishing.com/fly-lines-5

These are really good lines for the money. If you fish a bunch of times per year you might wear them out quicker but I just can't stomach paying $100 for a fly line.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I use Teeny lines, he always gives me a break on the price. Those are mostly 200 grain fast sink shooting lines for fishing Woolly Buggers. I then get double tapers from Tom Morgan Rodsmiths, they are the only place that will still stock DT lines.

Everyone has been lured into the same myth in flyfishing that shooters have with fast twist. People want high modulous stiff rods for casting long loops in a parking lot and you can’t get a drag free float for more than a few inches when you have that much line out…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for the post will have to look into them when I change my trout rods. I’m looking for a 300 grain or more. At least in 10wt size. For a Spey rod. It’s going to have to hold up to some big muskies and big flies.

I may have to bite on some expensive rio line. I have bought cheaper cabelas lines and they always break at where the leader wraps around the fly line. It will eventually cut threw with the weight of the fish. So far a nail knot seems to hold with the cheaper lines.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
In my opinion Scientific Angler makes the best fly line available. I have some Rio lines and I like their taper design in the trout sizes, but I have found that Rio lines will not be as durable as SA and the SA will cast as good or better in most situations.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I use Teeny lines, he always gives me a break on the price. Those are mostly 200 grain fast sink shooting lines for fishing Woolly Buggers. I then get double tapers from Tom Morgan Rodsmiths, they are the only place that will still stock DT lines.

Everyone has been lured into the same myth in flyfishing that shooters have with fast twist. People want high modulous stiff rods for casting long loops in a parking lot and you can’t get a drag free float for more than a few inches when you have that much line out…
Maybe you will be able to get there with practice...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Moonlit from eBay. Great product for the price.

Think i need a bigger gun
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VaHunter
In my opinion Scientific Angler makes the best fly line available. I have some Rio lines and I like their taper design in the trout sizes, but I have found that Rio lines will not be as durable as SA and the SA will cast as good or better in most situations.

I’ve had really good luck with both Rio and Scientific Angler Fly lines. The SA does seem to last longer.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty much Scientific Angler for the trout rods with weight forwards or double tapers. Real expensive specialty stuff with my big two-hander Spey rods. Regardless, it's a case of sticker shock at the register. More now for just a line than a complete outfit when I was a kid.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/08/24.

1Minute
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
For the Spey option looks like the SA and Rio are the same price at $100 for what I’m looking at. Looks like those are top 2.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Solitario_Lupo
What’s your favorite go to brand.

Could be that things have changed in 30+ years but when I was guiding, I didn't care for the Cortland lines of the time. They felt sticky, clung to the guides when casting, blah blah blah. In those days, the other big kid on the block was Scientific Anglers and 'til around 2000, maybe 2005, that's all I used. Still do in some cases. I have one rod with a Sage-branded line .. I assume someone, probably Rio, makes it to Sage's specifications. My other lines are all Rio now. No complaints, they work. Oh .. I have a 2 weight WF floater with Cabela's brand on it, not sure who makes it, but it seems to be a very good line .. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
While back I bought a 200 yd spool of Rio backer line. Just how much backer does anyone put on a 2, 3, and 4 wt line rods used for small water and not very big fish? Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
^^^^ Generally 50 yards or so for my 000 - 3 weight, about 75 for my 4 weight. From a practical standpoint, you may well not need it as "backing", just opens up the diameter of the loops within the reel so the fly line doesn't kink as much.

My notion .. if you can't fit 50 yards of backing with the fly line on the reel, you probably need a little bigger reel. With smaller stuff, 4 weight or less, if you're getting more than 100 yards of backing and your fly line on the reel, your reel might be big enough to off-balance the rod.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Appreciate the input TOM and did the 50yds.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I use lightweight rods anymore, primarily for small stream fishing, #1-#4's. A 5 wt is a heavy rod for me. To that end I've switched almost entirely to Wulff Triangle tapers. Especially delightful with a small split cane rod when presenting #20 and smaller dry flies to wary trout in a brush choked creek.

With my commensurately small reels I'm lucky to get 50 yds. of backing under the line. I just fill the spool with it until the fly line rides comfortably within the confines of the reel.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 04/01/24.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
SA first then Rio. Spend the money on a good line. Cheap lines will frustrate you and cost you in the long run.

Everyone is pretty on the internet!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Barrio Flylines out of the UK are a decent line for the money.

Even with shipping across the pond they’re only about $50/ line.

I’ve got 4WT and 5WT Double Tapers and also a couple of their small stream lines in 3WT.

I will buy more in the future.

I also like the Wulff Triangle Taper lines, though they are a bit more expensive at around $70-$80, when you can find them. That’s about my limit on price and I cringe
paying it.🥴😬

$100 plus just isn’t necessary in my opinion.

Leftybolt

Last edited by Leftybolt; 04/05/24.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,516
Posts18,472,431
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.