Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 79S
Also in the f class word ie FT-O hardly anyone uses a 6mm. Vast majority use either the 284 or 7 prcw. 6mm are great for not so windy days. Also FT-R majority of shooters using 308’s are shooting bergers 200.20 others still use 185 juggernauts.

And hardly anybody uses a .308 Winchester in F-Open. What's your point?

Why do people shoot the 200.20X? The reason I shoot it is because it has the highest BC I can get and stay within the rules of the game. The BC gives it an advantage over the 155s, 168s, 175s, etc. That means less error with wind changes.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by drop_point
Originally Posted by 79S
Also in the f class word ie FT-O hardly anyone uses a 6mm. Vast majority use either the 284 or 7 prcw. 6mm are great for not so windy days. Also FT-R majority of shooters using 308’s are shooting bergers 200.20 others still use 185 juggernauts.

And hardly anybody uses a .308 Winchester in F-Open. What's your point?

Why do people shoot the 200.20X? The reason I shoot it is because it has the highest BC I can get and stay within the rules of the game. The BC gives it an advantage over the 155s, 168s, 175s, etc. That means less error with wind changes.

Why would you shoot a 308 in F-O when the 308 shooter have FTR which is a specific to the 223/308 shooters??

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Feral_American
The .308 Winchester is not popular for long range competition shooting except disciplines that require its use per the rules. Otherwise, you'll rarely see .308 Winchester. PRS? Its mostly 6mm chamberings.

My humble experience doesn't mean much but any of the regional one day PRS matches I've been involved in, the 308 has it's own class. Out of a 100 shooter roster, 10 maybe a dozen shot 308. It's usually the guys with Mil/LEO background. Scores actually ran pretty much on par with the open class that I shot in.

Fast twisted high BC bullets in 6mm chamberings are vastly popular because if there was a better overall trade off they wouldn't be. The serious ones grope for every advantage they can find, the not-so-serious ones are following the herd.

A few outliers bought into the hype and got into it with a factory built 6.5 Creed and factory "match" ammo, but the alleged magical Creed never got them off the bottom of the score sheet that I can recall.

Yep, they have created "tactical class" over the last few years. When one does well in that class it is in spite of the cartridge. the 6mm offers a fraction of the wind deflection and much lower recoil (which means faster and more accurate corrections). A new cartridge cannot turn a bad shooter into a good shooter, but two equally skilled shooters the higher-BC bullet shooter is going to win every single time.

It isn't just a trend, they are better tools for the job.

No the one that can read wind will win every time. Also how far are individuals shooting in these PRS matches? If it’s less than 800 then they aren’t shooting LR they are shooting mid-range.

Your reading comprehension sucks. Go read again. I'll even say it for you. Two equal shooters, the one with the highest BC bullet will win. Its simple as that, there is less error.

How far do people shoot? Depends on the match. What's it to you?

If that was the case as far as bc goes then everyone shooting 7 prcw would be running 180gr hornady eld-m which has a much higher bc than the preferred 180gr berger. A lot of people gotten their high master shooting 185 juggernauts out of a 308 in FT-R

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
The .308 Winchester is not popular for long range competition shooting except disciplines that require its use per the rules. Otherwise, you'll rarely see .308 Winchester. PRS? Its mostly 6mm chamberings.

My humble experience doesn't mean much but any of the regional one day PRS matches I've been involved in, the 308 has it's own class. Out of a 100 shooter roster, 10 maybe a dozen shot 308. It's usually the guys with Mil/LEO background. Scores actually ran pretty much on par with the open class that I shot in.

Fast twisted high BC bullets in 6mm chamberings are vastly popular because if there was a better overall trade off they wouldn't be. The serious ones grope for every advantage they can find, the not-so-serious ones are following the herd.

A few outliers bought into the hype and got into it with a factory built 6.5 Creed and factory "match" ammo, but the alleged magical Creed never got them off the bottom of the score sheet that I can recall.

Yep, they have created "tactical class" over the last few years. When one does well in that class it is in spite of the cartridge. the 6mm offers a fraction of the wind deflection and much lower recoil (which means faster and more accurate corrections). A new cartridge cannot turn a bad shooter into a good shooter, but two equally skilled shooters the higher-BC bullet shooter is going to win every single time.

No the one that can read wind will win every time. Also how far are individuals shooting in these PRS matches? If it’s less than 800 then they aren’t shooting LR they are shooting mid-range.

Your reading comprehension sucks. Go read again. I'll even say it for you. Two equal shooters, the one with the highest BC bullet will win. Its simple as that, there is less error.

If that was the case as far as bc goes then everyone shooting 7 prcw would be running 180gr hornady eld-m which has a much higher bc than the preferred 180gr berger. A lot of people gotten their high master shooting 185 juggernauts out of a 308 in FT-R

Except the BC of the Hornady is exaggerated, as Hornady is known to exaggerate bullets, and Hornady bullets aren't nearly as consistent.

I'm not sure what your point here is. You're yelling at clouds.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Except the BC of the Hornady is exaggerated, as Hornady is known to exaggerate bullets, and Hornady bullets aren't nearly as consistent.

If you say so while hornady bullets tend to be inconsistent at times the eld-m BC are very accurate. So back to the highest bc wins what about the 183gr smk in the 7 prcw? Has a much higher bc than the favorite 180 bergers? My point is the highest bc is not needed to win, it’s all about the person behind the rifle making the right wind calls.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

If you say so while hornady bullets tend to be inconsistent at times the eld-m BC are very accurate. So back to the highest bc wins what about the 183gr smk in the 7 prcw? Has a much higher bc than the favorite 180 bergers? My point is the highest bc is not needed to win, it’s all about the person behind the rifle making the right wind calls.

Let me break it down for you again since you don't seem to be.....gifted.

As my original statement, if two shooters are equal, the one shooting the higher BC bullet will win.

Nobody said or implied somebody that can't read the wind will beat somebody that can. Nobody said an inconsistent bullet will win. Quit inserting BS that nobody said into the statement.

Meanwhile, PEOPLE ARE POINTING BERGERS TO INCREASE BC.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lol if you say so. Go read what you said again. Highest bc wins so I’m going to shoot 183gr SMK’s over the 180 Berger. Pointing or not…

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 79S
lol if you say so. Go read what you said again. Highest bc wins so I’m going to shoot 183gr SMK’s over the 180 Berger. Pointing or not…

Not only do you suck at reading, you're a contrarian.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

No I can read just fine. By your logic Eric cortina needs to switch to a higher bc bullet next year and he will win southwest nationals next year. Along with everyone else that finished behind Jay Christopherson this year.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

No I can read just fine. By your logic Eric cortina needs to switch to a higher bc bullet next year and he will win southwest nationals next year. Along with everyone else that finished behind Jay Christopherson this year.

You're a special kind of stupid. F off.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Meanwhile, anybody want to take a guess as to why Erik and Jay both point their bullets?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Meanwhile, anybody want to take a guess as to why Erik and Jay both point their bullets?

Improved BC consistency.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I shot a midrange prone match today. Started out with my service rifle then switched to my Palma Rifle. It was a little windy, should have made a better correction after the sighters. Not too bad for irons at 600, being only the second time I have shot the rifle in many years. I am still shooting the old 2155 Palma bullets. May have to try some of the newfangled Berger 155.5’s.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good shooting! Today must be mid range day 🙂. Shot day 1 of our State Mid Range Championship today. 300, 500 and 600. In the money at 500 with a 199 and ended in 5th for the day with a 594 in the combined Any, Palma and Service Rifle classes. Sporty winds as the day progressed. Should be about the same tomorrow.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

You're a special kind of stupid. F off.

lol uh oh someone is upset.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MikeS

Improved BC consistency.

Wait what?? You mean it doesn’t give you a higher bc? It just improves the bc consistency? We’ll drop point not going to like hearing that.

S
S
Originally Posted by 79S

Uhhhh….you literally said the shooter with the higher BC bullet will win……

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Good shooting! Today must be mid range day 🙂. Shot day 1 of our State Mid Range Championship today. 300, 500 and 600. In the money at 500 with a 199 and ended in 5th for the day with a 594 in the combined Any, Palma and Service Rifle classes. Sporty winds as the day progressed. Should be about the same tomorrow.

Good luck today. 594 with a sling is a good day regardless of the bullet bc.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mike70560

Good luck today. 594 with a sling is a good day regardless of the bullet bc.

Thanks Mike. Tricky winds today IMO, but similar for everyone so the leaderboards were static near the top at least. My placement didn't change from Saturday. The two Palma shooters above me were just back from South Africa, so cant beat myself up too badly for finishing 3rd Palma Rifle behind them. 😀

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SheepShapeAK
Originally Posted by 79S

Uhhhh….you literally said the shooter with the higher BC bullet will win……
All else being equal, that is certainly true.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (16penny, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,633
Posts18,474,369
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.