Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
BC is an option to consider as well. A lot of well established folks up there.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Chama Land and Cattle Company , Vermijo Ranch in New Mexico both have lodges. To book a hunt in2025 might not be possible. Probably in the $15K-$18 K range

The last hunt I did on the Vermejo was n 2019. Prices for a bull elk hunt ran about $F15K back then. I really screwed up there in 2018 as I was offered a cow Bison for $1,200. They wanted to cull a few which was the reason for a very low price. Right next door to the Vermejo is the NRA's Whittington center. There's a lot of nice elk in that general area.

I just did a few cow elk cull hunts and even those have gone up. It was $1.500 for the cow hunt in 2010 when I went for the first time. My last one that I didn't get to do because of a bad car accident two days before I was to leave cost me my deposit. That hunt was $4k and that was a cull hunt. I preferred to call them meat hunts. Never bothered going for a bull even before doing the cow hunts as there isn't a suitable place in my house to hang a bull elk head.

Anyway, I'd look into those two places in New Mexico. That's where I'd try if I were physically able to do another elk hunt.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
P
P
I think the Galt Ranch in MT would fit your price range. Bill Galt at 406-547-2107

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
I don’t know if this helps but I have an elk and mule deer combo hunt sch’d for this year with Heaven’s Gate Outfitters that I reserved last year at Dallas Safari Club Convention, $7,900! Writing the checks hurt but having always done diy elk and mule dear in Wyoming and Colorado I’m going to splurge for my 70th birthday. Idaho has guaranteed Outfitter Tags for many game animals so that’s a plus and I was stationed in Idaho and spent many days off fishing/camping the Snake River. It’s a horseback hunt to wall tents that I chose BUT they have a separate hunt pkg from their Lodge, maybe everything you’re looking for, best of luck!

Almost forgot, the $ for your tags are additional resulting >9k

Last edited by Crockett305; 03/28/24. Reason: Add info
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I hunted with HGO in 2023 (2nd week) in the Lake Fork camp. Ownership has changed and not sure if the new owner is/was able to retain the guide staff. I stumbled into a cancelled spot and didn’t secure my tags until days before the state deadline.

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Salt River Range Outfitters in WY- my dad and I hunted with them along with several friends of mine and we have always had good experiences there. The only problem is, you’ll need at least one preference point to draw, and it could be more than one now. It’s a public land horseback hunt and Wi-Fi is available at the lodge/house you will stay in.

Heal quickly and don't scar.
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have heard good thing about Elkhorn Outfitters in Craig, CO. Never used them myself but as stated have heard good things.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
As MAC stated above, Elkhorn and several other Craig, CO area outfitters offer some decent hunts from lodge/bunkhouse accommodations in your price range. Most are not backcountry wilderness hunts but rather ranch land hunts. Trophy 6x6 potential is low, but not nonexistent, in that area but generally lots of elk. Deer populations are down but probably a few wall hangers around. I’ve hunted that area since 2005 with about 68% success rate. I hunt private and BLM land unguided FYI. I ain’t giving up my spot anytime soon! I’m permanently on the landowners reservation list. I’m in unless I decline!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
B
Bry Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I, my then 15 year old son, and then 64 year old Father in Law hunted with Northwest Montana Outfitters back in 2019, the former owner ended up selling to his head guide Josh a year or two later. Josh changed the name to Waypoint Outfitters.

Website link here.

https://www.montanaoutfittersinc.com/

We didn’t hunt with Josh but spent a fair amount of time chatting at the lodge and also talked with his client that week. From those conversations I’d be comfortable booking with him. Rugged country so the harder you can go the better but they will work at your level.

My kid ended up killing a 170 class mule deer and we had a couple encounters with bulls but couldn’t close the deal.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by WAM
As MAC stated above, Elkhorn and several other Craig, CO area outfitters offer some decent hunts from lodge/bunkhouse accommodations in your price range. Most are not backcountry wilderness hunts but rather ranch land hunts. Trophy 6x6 potential is low, but not nonexistent, in that area but generally lots of elk. Deer populations are down but probably a few wall hangers around. I’ve hunted that area since 2005 with about 68% success rate. I hunt private and BLM land unguided FYI. I ain’t giving up my spot anytime soon! I’m permanently on the landowners reservation list. I’m in unless I decline!
I hunted with Elkhorn several times until about 2015. I didn't know they were still in business. Mostly smaller raghorn 4 x 4 and 5 x 5 bulls, but success rate was usually pretty high. Lots of elk, but I don't recall ever seeing a 6x6 bull. Accomodations and food were okay, nothing special. Prices were great; don't know about now.

Last edited by lotech; 04/01/24.
IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Based on my research, I don't believe Elk Horn Outfitters are operational anymore. Couldn't find a web site for them. Their facebook page was active but hadn't had a post since 2013. When I googled their address, it looks like the property sold in 2020.

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
If you are bent on a true trophy bull your best bet is start putting in and start building points in the trophy areas of Utah, Nevada, and Arizona and just figure your going to drop about 15k when you do draw to hire a top guide. Other option are the Indian res of Arizona or New Mexico. They are also taking some nice bulls in Alberta and BC especially with the better operators up there, but those hunts are pretty high dollar as well. While you are playing the draw game you can come out to Wyoming or Colorado and hunt some of general units for cows or small bulls. Wyoming has units that have too many elk , and this year , in units 6 and 7 a person can get all the tags he wants over the counter and kill cow/calf on private ground only. Trick is find a landowner who is will allow access without charging an arm and leg. There are a few that just want to get rid of the elk and allow hunting retty reasonably but you have to do your research. Game and fish day office in Laramie would be a good place to start.aI lived in Wyoming nearly all my adult life, went nevada to get my biggest bull.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
For what it's worth, I'm not hell bent on shooting a giant elk. That would be great for sure, but I'd rather go to a place with a better success rate on getting a bull, then a place with a lower success rate more focused on giants.

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Have no idea how full they are booked but wagonhound ranch Douglas , Wyoming might be a good option for ,you they hunt unit 7 , lots of good bulls but you will have to buy a commissioner tag, draw is Jan 1-31 so you missed out for this year, therefore you will have to buy a commissioner tag, Dax ranch hunting manager probably has leads on commissioner tags and prices. They hunt over 300k acres of mostly private land, 5 star lodge, excellent trophy quality, but expensive.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Mohall57
Have no idea how full they are booked but wagonhound ranch Douglas , Wyoming might be a good option for ,you they hunt unit 7 , lots of good bulls but you will have to buy a commissioner tag, draw is Jan 1-31 so you missed out for this year, therefore you will have to buy a commissioner tag, Dax ranch hunting manager probably has leads on commissioner tags and prices. They hunt over 300k acres of mostly private land, 5 star lodge, excellent trophy quality, but expensive.

Our across the street neighbor hunted there and it was expen$ive. He, his brother and their dad all scored on bulls in the 330 range. One hit low 340’s iirc. He could afford it though. Played MLB.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You might check with Bucks & Bulls. They’re out of Utah and have ranches there plus CO and NM. Several friends and I have hunted with them in the past. Good guides and all the ranches have lots of bulls. All the hunts we went on were either lodge based or we stayed in ranch owner’s home.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
You might also inquire at Anchor Outfitting, Big Timber, MT. Used to be a quality operation when a friend of mine worked for Chuck Rein the owner. I think his son is running it now. Huge ranch plus USFS land.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,517
Posts18,472,471
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.