Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Holston
Thanks for the replies.

I’ve shot a couple hundred of these so far, seem to be an excellent bullet, especially for the price.

Ended up with several pounds of CFE-223, that I don’t really need. Loaded up a box full at 27 grains with the 55 SPs, in mixed, range pickup brass. Shot well in the Colt and PSA (1.75 MOAish) and better in the Tikka (1.5 MOAish). Loading the rest and will order a few k more.

Will likely do more load work in the Tikka, in some good brass to see what happens, but I’m more than pleased with the above load for me all around bulk loading.

Holston, I noticed you said you were shooting 10 shot groups, and getting around 1.5 moa with the Tikka, and slightly worse with the short barreled AR. I don't know if I'd expect much better than that from that bullet. That bullet is great on deer though. My buddy uses it in his 22-250's and 223 rems to shoot deer. That bullet just works, but don't expect real tight groups with it. Especially in that AR. Now, if you were shooting something like a 20" HBAR with matchgrade chamber, I'd expect closer to 1-1 1/4 moa for 10 shots in the AR. But that bullet has its limitations. It's not a match grade or varmint type bullet. Once you get that figured out, you'll be money ahead. I ran across 800 or so 55gr midway bullets yesterday at a LGS, and I passed on them. As I've messed with that weight and style, and have never been entirely happy with the accuracy/precision from them. I ended up buying 5 boxes of the 68's (BTHP) though:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The 55's were priced the same, so that may tell you how I feel about them. Even when practicing on steel and paper, I demand better precision from a bullet, than what the 55gr Hornady gives. I wouldn't even let my girlfriend shoot them, because I don't want her complaining that I loaded her some crappy bullets. There was a poster here that sent me some 55gr bullets to test out, as he was in the same boat as you. IE: getting mediocre precision. I was getting around 1.5 moa with them as well. Keeping in mind, I'm talking about 10 shot groups. They would go into an inch for 5 though, with an occasional flier. Again, though, you have to ask yourself what your intentions are for this bullet, and what you can live with..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have used these for a long time. Always with good accuracy. About 5 years ago I bought 6,000 in bulk. It is our bullet of choice for most uses in ARs and bolt guns.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks for the replies.

I’ve shot a couple hundred of these so far, seem to be an excellent bullet, especially for the price.

Ended up with several pounds of CFE-223, that I don’t really need. Loaded up a box full at 27 grains with the 55 SPs, in mixed, range pickup brass. Shot well in the Colt and PSA (1.75 MOAish) and better in the Tikka (1.5 MOAish). Loading the rest and will order a few k more.

Will likely do more load work in the Tikka, in some good brass to see what happens, but I’m more than pleased with the above load for me all around bulk loading.
I wasn't able to get as good accuracy out of CFE .223 with that bullet as I get with H4895. I wouldn't expect better than you're getting with mixed brass.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thanks for the replies.

Holston, I noticed you said you were shooting 10 shot groups, and getting around 1.5 moa with the Tikka, and slightly worse with the short barreled AR. I don't know if I'd expect much better than that from that bullet. That bullet is great on deer though. My buddy uses it in his 22-250's and 223 rems to shoot deer. That bullet just works, but don't expect real tight groups with it. Especially in that AR. Now, if you were shooting something like a 20" HBAR with matchgrade chamber, I'd expect closer to 1-1 1/4 moa for 10 shots in the AR. But that bullet has its limitations. It's not a match grade or varmint type bullet. Once you get that figured out, you'll be money ahead. I ran across 800 or so 55gr midway bullets yesterday at a LGS, and I passed on them. As I've messed with that weight and style, and have never been entirely happy with the accuracy/precision from them. I ended up buying 5 boxes of the 68's (BTHP) though:

The 55's were priced the same, so that may tell you how I feel about them. Even when practicing on steel and paper, I demand better precision from a bullet, than what the 55gr Hornady gives. I wouldn't even let my girlfriend shoot them, because I don't want her complaining that I loaded her some crappy bullets. There was a poster here that sent me some 55gr bullets to test out, as he was in the same boat as you. IE: getting mediocre precision. I was getting around 1.5 moa with them as well. Keeping in mind, I'm talking about 10 shot groups. They would go into an inch for 5 though, with an occasional flier. Again, though, you have to ask yourself what your intentions are for this bullet, and what you can live with..
Are those recent 22 RF Remington yellow jackets?
Haven’t seen those in years.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I bought 1000 of these a while back. Haven’t gotten the accuracy I was hoping for yet.

There are 3 versions (or more) of the 55 grain Hornady soft point: boat tail w/ cannelure, flat base w/ cannelure, and flat base w/o cannelure. My current A/R (Ruger MPR) loves all 3 with the same load: WW brass (size w/ RCBS X die), Federal 205 AR match primers, and a max load of H335, seated as long as a p-mag will allow. All three shoot near half inch for 5 shots at 100 yards.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thanks for the replies.

Are those recent 22 RF Remington yellow jackets?
Haven’t seen those in years.

I looked for a date on them, but they are not recent manufacture. I found them yesterday as well. $9.95/box, so I snagged them. They only had 4 boxes/400 rounds. I love the old yellow jackets from the 80's and 90's. Talk about a bullet that hits way above its price point. That one does it.. Good eye though ruffcutt.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I bought 1000 of these a while back. Haven’t gotten the accuracy I was hoping for yet.

There are 3 versions (or more) of the 55 grain Hornady soft point: boat tail w/ cannelure, flat base w/ cannelure, and flat base w/o cannelure. My current A/R (Ruger MPR) loves all 3 with the same load: WW brass (size w/ RCBS X die), Federal 205 AR match primers, and a max load of H335, seated as long as a p-mag will allow. All three shoot near half inch for 5 shots at 100 yards.

Tom

That's good info. I believe I also had my best luck with H335. This was with the 55gr sp interlock bullet. Not a max load though, I believe I was a grain off of max in the Hornady manual. Ran BR4 primers because I had a bunch at the time, and I was trying to produce the most accurate load. 5 into around an inch was about the best I could muster in several AR's and a Ruger M77 varmint, and Ruger Hawkeye with 1 in 9" twist.. I went just the opposite direction as someone said, after that, and started loading the 53gr V-max for varmints and targets. This is, after all, the varmint rifle reloading forums.. With the 53gr V-max, I also had very good success with H335 powder. I'm still a little leery of that powder though, after guys like seafire say they blew up a rifle (or something to that effect) with it.. YMMV..

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I recently bought new manufactured Remington Viper 22 RF that looks exactly like original, that’s why I had to ask. Bought mostly for nostalgic collection.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
I recently bought new manufactured Remington Viper 22 RF that looks exactly like original, that’s why I had to ask. Bought mostly for nostalgic collection.

That would be cool. If I had to guess, I'd say the Yellow jackets are probably at least 10 years old. Maybe older. I remember when they were sold in the cardboard boxes and bricks. It wasn't until later that they started putting them in the plastic cases, like the ones I bought yesterday. I buy a lot of old ammo from that place..

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Very large doe 80 yards 16” 223. 1 bullet two pics
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by smallfry; 03/28/24.
IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I do real good with the bulluts . I get about .75 with my .223 rem Savage 12 fv.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ihookem
I do real good with the bulluts . I get about .75 with my .223 rem Savage 12 fv.

Those 12FV's are damn accurate/precise rifles. Doesn't take much to make them shoot well. My 6.5 Creedmoor was a tack driver, and then even better after I glass bedded it.

Now, on to the 55sp Hornady bullets. This is what I had written in my manual:

Also, that midway bullet I was talking about is a Hornady blemished product that Midway sells/sold. I should have bought the other boxes they had a couple days prior. They only had this one box left, and a box of 60gr Hornady H.P's. I was thinking about it, and figured at that price, it was stupid to leave them behind the first time I saw them:

Even if I just end up loading them for my buddy, that loves them...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Easiest thing to do is sell them to someone that is getting good accuracy with them and go to a VMax bullet. You should see improvement with those. You could burn up a lot of powder and primers chasing an unnecessary easy fix…

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the replies.

I have had better luck with faster powders and the 55 SP. I like AA2015 and AA2230. With the 2015 you might have to go above the .223 recommended load for your AR's. I like 23.4 of AA2015 and the 55 SP in my 1:8 and 1:9 AR's. IN an AR NATO or Wylde chamber you will be well under 62,000 psi just doing some simple math. AA 2230 and H335 are very close to each other. The downside to a slower powder is less velocity but I doubt if any coyote knows the difference.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
26 grain Varget did 1.8” (10 rounds) through a 14.7” Colt barrel. Best group through it the 55 SPs.

Worked up to max with Tac with the Tikka and it was right at 1.6” for ten rounds.

Not terrible for me by any means, if the TAC loads do decent in the ARs I’ll load the lot and be done with it.

Reason for these bullets, was to find a cheaper bullet than these I’ve been shooting, across multiple rifles.
(Midsouth 77s)

Holston, you are talking about 10 shot groups and the accuracy/precision you are getting. I appreciate that, as that tells a lot more about a load and rifle than a single 3 or 5 shot group does. I don't think these guys here understand that, or maybe your post here went over their heads? If not, I'd love to see their 10 shot groups with said bullet in question. AR's, bolt actions, I don't care. Post them up.. Those saying they are getting sub moa or even moa, may be stretching things a bit. Just trying to keep things honest here.

Hell, I'll even load some up and go and shoot some groups with them if you'd like. I'll be using AR Comp though, as I don't like TAC much, and I think I'm' about out of H335. There are some powders that aren't the best for this application. CFE223 is one of them. Varget is better for heavier pills, but I also don't like using that powder in the tiny 223 rem case. Like I said before, I don't expect much better than 1.5 moa for 10 shots in an AR or a bolt action rifle.

There is an old boy that used to post here. went by the name of Formidilous. He used to say that if he shot 1.3-1.5 moa 10 shot groups with his AR's, he was happy. A lot of guys here don't like him, but at least he kept chidt honest...

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Easiest thing to do is sell them to someone that is getting good accuracy with them and go to a VMax bullet. You should see improvement with those. You could burn up a lot of powder and primers chasing an unnecessary easy fix…
This is sage advice.

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 04/04/24.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Been working on loads for 2 different ARs and a Tikka Lite. All 3 rifles have been easy to find a < MOA group with a variety of bullets and weights.

Best 5 shot groups from each rifle with the 55 SP Horndays (w/cannelure) have been between 1.5 and 2 MOA.

Anyone having these shoot as well as Sierras, Vmaxs, NBTs, etc?

I like the price and hear they do well on game, but I’d like to get a little better accuracy out of them.

Holston, have you considered a different powder, like AR Comp? That is one of my favorite powders, and I've seen it locally again. Like I said, I loaded up a little the other day. It has been snowing almost constantly here the last couple days though, so I could not go out until today. It was a little windy, but at least it was not snowing!!!

Anyway, I know you were talking about 10 shot groups. I did my usual routine for load development, and started off with some 5 shot groups. For starters, those tell you enough to get you going in the right direction. I'll load up some more of the ones that shot the best, and re-test. Then I'll shoot a couple 10 shot groups at that time. Keeping in mind, I don't like to waste a lot of components, trying to figure out a load. It's just not necessary.

Now, if you remember, in an earlier post, I said If I shot consistent 1.25 moa 10 shot groups with that bullet, I'd be done with load development. What I've found is you just don't get match grade type consistency with the 55gr Hornady sp bullet. Here's how today went:

First 5 shot group. Cold clean barrel. :

Last group shot. Only tested 5 charge weights and 1 seating depth. Loaded to mag length for AR15. Max book load (24.8gr.), loaded at 25 grains:

Charge weights were 23, 23.5, 24, 24.5, and 25 grains. Bullets shot to find a decent load: 25. Will confirm with 10 shot groups. That will tell me more of what I want to know.

Winds:

All data written on the targets above. I'm pretty sure the 25gr load will shoot into about 1.25 moa for 10 shots. I'll load up more, and shoot some to verify. That powder is one you may want to consider. It is generally very forgiving, and easy to work up a good load with. It produces some very consistent loads, in my experience.

You say the best you are getting with your 55's is 1.5-2 MOA groups for 5 shots, in the above post. What I shot today, in high winds shows you can get much better than that by using a different powder. Your other post was stating 1.8 moa groups for 10 shots in your AR's with a different powder, and slightly better with your Tikka. Those groups can also be bested with AR Comp, I believe.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1minute, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,527
Posts18,472,663
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.