Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Esteban325
The remaining question this inspires to me wonder is: "does that finish affect anything (to practical effect")? I would presume "yes" if one were chasing the finest causes of variation, otherwise it's a "no" to most users. Thanks for posting.

As bad as the bore scope makes the shoulder area finish appear, the shoulders on the fired cases look fine. Which was one of the reasons I leaned on the test fire rounds pretty hard...to make sure the case shoulder area blew out hard against the chamber.

I might still give the shoulder area a little touch up. 🤔 But sometimes, the enemy of 'good' is 'better'.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting. Yesterday I cleaned my sons Winchester 243. It’s an older one perhaps early 80’s maybe 70’s. I bought it with a Japanese tasco for 250 bucks several years ago. Gun has seen some rounds and use. Decided to really clean the barrel. About 3 days of soaking and re soaking. Then a jb clean. The borescope showed me pretty heavy X tooling marks in the shoulder area. Brass comes out fine and the gun shot 3/4 moa nice and triangular groups when I zeroed it a couple years ago with a load I had for another 243. I was very happy with that.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The remaining question this inspires to me wonder is: "does that finish affect anything (to practical effect")? I would presume "yes" if one were chasing the finest causes of variation, otherwise it's a "no" to most users. Thanks for posting.
A friend manages a gun store and offers free bore scoping to customers.

He gets a LOT of guys wanting to trade in their rifles after seeing inside. shocked

My friend tells his customers that the rifle may shoot fine anyway, but many customers want to ditch their rifle because they think it will SOON start shooting badly.

Alternatively, some customers may be bothered knowing that their "baby" has a fault - like seeing a beautiful woman and finding out she has a venereal disease. eek blush crazy

However, many bores with "severe" faults like a piece of rifling completely missing or a barrel bulge visible only on the inside shoot surprisingly well, and others need only cleaning back to bare metal and re-fouling...! grin

/John

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

🤔 But sometimes, the enemy of 'good' is 'better'.

Good shootin' -Al

You mean like:

"Keep fixin' it until it's broke"?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Question: which Teslong are you all using? I see models ranging from $49 to $215. It would seem the simple 45" flexible scope would be the most practical and work on about anything.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bwinters
Question: which Teslong are you all using? I see models ranging from $49 to $215. It would seem the simple 45" flexible scope would be the most practical and work on about anything.

I've got the cheapest flexible one. I think, Al mentioned he had a rigid model. I love the flexible one - great pictures. Just plug it into a lap top and have fun. Really helped getting down to bare steel before applying Dyna-tek Borecoat and also, polishing the throat on a new rifle. Seeing the tool marks before and after was pretty dramatic.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Remington 700 .30-06 with a 24” barrel as does my Model 70 Super Grade. Very interesting post btw.

Last edited by Swampman700; 04/01/24.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yep!

When Bill Ruger finally decided that the company needed to start making their own barrels around 1990, he did a lot of research and decided on hammer-forging, buying machinery from a company in Germany. The consistency of Ruger barrels immediately improved considerably, but continued to improve: One of Ruger's production honchos told me this was because even though hammer-forging sounds like an "automatic" process, it still requires some experience from the operator(s) for the best results.

All of which is partly why Ruger American Rifles immediately acquired a reputation for grouping very well: RARs appeared in 2012....

One of the smarter things Ruger ever did. Good barrels heal many sins smile

I bought a used Hawkeye some years ago, and it was an "eye opening experience" smile to see the varieties of bore condition in different rifles. I bought a Ruger No 1 in 6mm Remington from 1976, and the rifling looks like the Ghost of Harry Pope and Krieger collaborated, taking a year to make it. An earlier #1 in the same chambering looked in terrific condition on the outside. The bore was burned to a crisp for about a foot in front of the chamber.

A borescope is a great tool. Might have to get a Teslong, just for the picture taking ability.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Teslong is a pretty good thing to have @ a gunshow. I don't worry much about it when buying from brick and mortar. If there's an issue for the most part I've never had a problem coming to a mutually beneficial arrangement. A "gun show guy" however may be much more difficult to track down so a little more due diligence isn't a bad thing.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
When talking about about throats and throat angles, it's kind of hard to visualize. This morning, I was bore scoping a new barrel for this season and thought it gave a pretty good representation of what we're talking about. Put the Hawkeye away and put the Teslong in for ease of grabbing pics.

From rt to lt: The chamber neck is to the right. The narrow band to the left after that is the 45 degree transitional angle from the end of the neck to the throat. Moving left, now we're into one of the lands. The throat angle is clearly visible on the upper edge of the land as it transitions from throat diameter (.3085 in this case) to land diameter (.3000). More correctly, we're looking at the land height relative to the throat.

For what it's worth, for anyone interested. -Al

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great picture Al. Isn't the land diameter 0.300 in this case though?

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MikeS
Great picture Al. Isn't the land diameter 0.300 in this case though?

Yes...corrected it. smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
👍
Thought I might need another cup of coffee for a minute there.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MikeS
👍
Thought I might need another cup of coffee for a minute there.

Obviously, I sure did! grin

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those things do take nice pics.

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anybody have a recommendation for a phone app other than Smart Endoscope? I hadn't used it on the phone I got last fall until yesterday and below is what it's doing. Other OTG/USB camera apps work but the few I've tried haven't been all that great. Smart Endoscope app still displays as it should on my old phone and a laptop also displays fine so I don't think there's anything "wrong" with any one component. For whatever reason the Smart Endoscope app and my Samsung phone don't speak the same language. Most of the time I use the laptop for the bigger image but there are times it's handy to use the phone without having to track down my old one.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have a Samsung Galaxy A13 phone and it is showing images the same as your phone. My old phone, Samsung J7 Prime, worked perfectly. Laptop and desktop work perfectly, but the A13 will not sync the pictures properly. I called Teslong and the tech was very helpful but she could never tell me what was happening or how to correct it. She explained that the phone had to support OTG/USB. She could never tell me how to determine whether my phone supported OTG/USB or not. Could not tell me how to turn the feature on or off. So, to make a long story short, if you ever find out how to correct this problem would you please post it or PM me. Thanks, Mpickle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mpickle
I have a Samsung Galaxy A13 phone and it is showing images the same as your phone. My old phone, Samsung J7 Prime, worked perfectly. Laptop and desktop work perfectly, but the A13 will not sync the pictures properly. I called Teslong and the tech was very helpful but she could never tell me what was happening or how to correct it. She explained that the phone had to support OTG/USB. She could never tell me how to determine whether my phone supported OTG/USB or not. Could not tell me how to turn the feature on or off. So, to make a long story short, if you ever find out how to correct this problem would you please post it or PM me. Thanks, Mpickle
Mine is the Galaxy A14 and OTG is automatically on. I don't think there's a way to turn it off. If you want to test if your OTG is working, go to the Play Store and get another OTG camera app and try it with the Teslong. I bet it works. Just something about the SE app and the Galaxy that doesn't jive. Or even plug a flash drive into the adapter and see if it shows up in your files to test if it's working.

Sorry for the hijack, Al.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Scoped the bore on my new Remarms Rem 700 Long Range 300 Win Mag 5R.I haven't got to shoot it yet,but it looks good to me.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,629 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,631
Posts18,474,330
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.