Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by kwg020
There are some tricks to getting one to shoot better. But, I'm reluctant to say they shoot great unless you put a lot of money into them. The rotary bolt of Garand design just isn't going to give you Armalite accuracy.

But, if you live in a State that won't allow AR's they are one of your only options. The traditional design and new stock options (mostly aftermarket) make for a fun carbine. At under 100 yards with soft points, it's in the top ten for a home defense rifle and they don't have that scary pistol grip and bayonet lug to get the soccer mom's all upset and crying.

kwg
That rotary bolt in the M1 and the M14 especially, can give some accuracy under MOA really easily.

The M1 and the M14 had forged receivers that were machined to precision tolerances along with precision barrels. Ruger has cast receivers with God only knows what kind of tolerances and barrels designed to work with any kind of ammo. ASI can get you a precision barrel with tight tolerances but it can't get you a precision receiver.

The newer rifles with the newer barrels are more accurate but those skinny barrel Minis are an abomination. I own 3 of them and had ASI put their barrels on 2 of them. It was expensive but they both shoot much better than the factory barrel that was on them.

You can make them accurate if you are willing to spend the money. I'm sure you had to spend some money and time making your M1's and M14's accurate as well. You can buy an accurate AR right off the shelf or build it yourself for not a lot of money and effort.

That's too bad about the Mini 14's. When they first came out they were a lot less money than the AR's. Not so anymore.

kwg
So its not the bolt design thats the issue with minis. Like I said...Ruger just made cheap guns for max profit. Can't fault em for that. They sold millions?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I always was faster on target with the mini, and I think a lot of people run xm193 in the mini and get the pie plate sized group. OTOH these days they sure are not worth what they are asking for them.
Thats a kind of thing where its what you are used to IMHO and fit.

I hated moving to the AR from the M14. But in the end got used to it so much that the M14 feels wrong. Plus the scores shot with the AR got to be quite a bit better.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
it's hilarious reading the snot from the Mini 14 haters. Funniest part is where they say you have to spend a lot of money on a Mini to get it to shoot right, and then in the next thread, brag about all the high dollar accessories and modifications they do on their AR rifles. To get those to shoot right. laughing. smile
You have some good minis. I love the look of them over the look of the AR.

But in reality I can take a 150 dollar or less lower AR, put a 180 dollar or so upper on it and have a MOA gun. Sometimes a bit better. Sometimes worse. But way more reliably MOA on average without doing anything else. Our Truck guns are 180 buck uppers.

The add ons rarely help accuracy. Other than replacing a barrel with a top line barrel. And thats what we did with our guns because we were after 10 shot 1.5 inch 300 yard groups and 5 shot groups 3 inches or so at 600. few factory AR will do that. I doubt a factory mini would.

Both are great guns though in their own ways. And if we are happy. Then we are happy.

I do recall a guy with a shilen tube on a mini and it was a pretty good gun. He never beat my M14 or AR but...

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
My first Mini was in '78, the year the stainless ones came out & the upgrade from 1st gen was done.. Saw it, had to have it. Paid full retail for it, but even at that it was still half the money of a Colt AR. In my neck of the woods in the late 70's-early 80's the ones that owned AR's were well heeled or very dedicated to that type of weapon.

I never shot it well, even off the bench. Just figured I didn't get along with peeps or the rear peep wasn't compatible with a ramp front, & still sorta feel that way about the latter. I traded for a ranch when they came out so I could more easily scope one. Scoped, it didn't shoot much tighter than the iron sighted one. But I kept it around even after getting into AR's.

Then the first assault rifle ban list started coming out & the Mini wasn't on many of them. A very good reason to have one. Not just low profile in dimensions, but in the gun grabbers eyes as well. After fooling around with more AR's & the mini made it to most of the ban list I no longer see no reason to have one over an AR.

A complete flip flop, the Mini now double the price of a some decent AR's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I went to the original Urban Rifle course at Thunder Ranch in TX in 1993, I took two AR-15s. Neither broke.

AR-15 parts are prolific, as are add-ons. Not so much for the Mini.

Also, the Mini's downfall is the mags, cheap mags = bad performance, Ruger mags = good performance.

However, in the SHTF or EOTWAWKI, AR STANAG mags will be readily available, Mini mags, not so much.

I have an AR parts drawer with triples of anything I might ever need in this lifetime, and ARs are easy to build and repair with commonly available parts.

I'm all about having the thing that is most available when I need to resupply.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Every one of these threads somebody brings up Clints hatred of them. I'm not sure about there being issues at one time with parts breaking, but my family has had a few, and have not had a single parts break and I'm talking about thousands of rounds, through guns that are not treated particularly careful, rarely cleaned completely. They function.

Accuracy isn't good for long range. But for minute of coyote, they are plenty good. My young boys each laid out coyotes without drama, and as long as the shooting was over in a handful of rounds their hit ratio was good.

I still have two. One stainless folder that was my father's "trapping" rifle. Couldn't begin to guess the milage it's seen, and the one I got in high school that seems to shoot better than anything I've read about on the internet.

I do agree the magazines must be chosen carefully. Factory mags work well. I got some straight 20 round from CDNN that have been great, and I've heard Tapco has finally figured it out.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger's insistence on keeping their proprietary scope mounting system is the deal breaker for me.

Had a Mini-14 back in 1979 and it was a 3" rifle at best - at best. I like the ergos and especially the left hand friendly safety and would be willing to try one of the newer ones, but you're stuck with Ruger style rings or you mount an aftermarket rail on top of their sight bases and then you add rings on top of that which pretty much destroys a good cheek weld.

If you want a low mounted red dot your choices are basically a Burris Fastfire or Vortex since Burris is the only company who makes a mount to fit into the Ruger scalloped bases. If you want a carbine style dot or a prism sight with some useful reticles you're back to mounting an aftermarket pic rail and putting the sight way up above the comb.

All they'd have to do is change those scallops to two short 1913 rails and they'd be good to go.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 580-Series Mini-14 is a fine Carbine... with a little work.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Shoots ~ 2 MOA from field positions w/ aperture sights and ball ammo.

No complaints.

GR

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Kinda sexy. Both front & rear sight replacements?

I touched on it, but the Mini's profile is nice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunzo
Kinda sexy. Both front & rear sight replacements?

I touched on it, but the Mini's profile is nice.

Front is OEM 580-Series, the rear is adjustable Tech-Sights.

The butt (LOP) has been shortened 1" and squared, and the pad reprofiled to match.

The mags are 10-round Ruger OEM, and the upper ventilated handguard is from Choate.

1-1/4" web sling and QD swivels finishes it.

GR

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
cheap modification is by the gas block inserts slow that bolt down from slamming back and forward quite so hard can help a lot of things..

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
This one in 6x45 shoots purty darn good. Sub MOA with many loads. From Accuracy Rifle Systems.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by mart
This one in 6x45 shoots purty darn good. Sub MOA with many loads. From Accuracy Rifle Systems.

Cost? What brand and twist barrel?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Wiegand makes a pic rail that mounts into the factory scope slots, uses set screws. use any pic rail rings
Blue and silver.

Last edited by TBREW401; 03/30/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, buy a mini and spend $1000 to make it shoot like an out of the box AR?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wonder why the brain trust at Ruger did not use AR15 magazines in the rifle?

I see this stated SOOOOOO often..... and it drives me crazy. People do not understand gun design.

All ya gotta do is completely redesign the Mini-14 to take AR magazines, it would be so simple!... then why doesn't someone do it? They could make millions!

it's even worse than "they shoulda made it take Schlock mags!"

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by mart

Cost? What brand and twist barrel?

Not sure on the brand. It’s whatever Accuracy System uses. It’s a 1/9 twist.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I have a 584 Series Mini14, wooden stock, 100% factory, couldn't ask for a better 200-300yd rifle for pests. I have 6-7 AR15/10's, but the Mini is still a favorite.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Stophel
Wonder why the brain trust at Ruger did not use AR15 magazines in the rifle?

I see this stated SOOOOOO often..... and it drives me crazy. People do not understand gun design.

All ya gotta do is completely redesign the Mini-14 to take AR magazines, it would be so simple!... then why doesn't someone do it? They could make millions!

it's even worse than "they shoulda made it take Schlock mags!"
Umm since they are gun designers it would have been simple had they known about AR popularity at the time. Bill hoped the AR would die and his mini would live. We got lucky that Bill and the mini lost

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 55 invisible), 2,531 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,673
Posts18,474,805
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.