-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In 2024, if you want the easy-button, go 6.5 Creedmoor. I like the .260 Remington and was shooting it before there was a 6.5 Creedmoor and its a great round, but it is to be lost to the ages. I'm sitting on dies and about 600 pieces of brass I'll probably never use less another falls into my lap.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
GB1

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 7-08 is probably more versatile.
When I was shooping for a rifle for my boy. It was that or the 6.5 creed in a tikka.
Went with the creed due to ammo cost and availability.... even though I reload.
When I was shopping, the creed ammo was as low as $9.99 for S&B 140FMJ and 10.99 for 140 PSP vs $25 for cheapest 7-08.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
If going 6.5 mm, there's no mechanical reason not to go 6.5 CM. The only reasons to go .260 Rem are that you already have a bunch of brass and dies, or that you simply want to.

Hard to disagree, 6.5 CM is simply too easy all the way around to find brass and ammo...not to mention a lot more options as far as rifle availability.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
ok.

no problem scrap the 260 idea....and well the creedmoor, .....after going upstairs into my reloading heaven I pulled out the packing crate that had ALL of my 7mm mag stuff including bullets

Lets just say its going to be a 7mm08. The amount of bullets I had forgotten I had is fooking blushembarrassing. I had to put my foot and leg up on the wall to drag it out.

4,700 Speer 145 gr. bthp Match, 3,300 162 gr. ELD-X's, 2,600 130 gr. speer lead spire points , thats just the shiit stacked on top that I could get too.....and more........all the Midway seconds that I suspect are MORE 162 ELD-X's. ...along with everybody and their grandads 140 gr soft points...and 5 usps box's that are SPS 150 bt's from 5 years ago.......I broke a sweat getting the damn crate back in place.

Right on top of the mountain were 600 Sierra 120 grain Game Kings. A single box open and 500 still sealed. I'll start with that for now.

Under my shotgun reloading bench was ANOTHER 2 foot long and a foot deep, box wrapped in duck tape that just said "7mm speer " on it.....it was completely filled with Speer 145 gr. bt spts. In 500 round packs with shipping straps still in place........I laughed.

Now to look for and start with good brass in 7mm08. Dies are on their way.

I want to thank EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU for helping with advice and insight.......I love the fire.

best
HeavyDove

Last edited by HeavyDove; 04/19/24.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Dang! Might as well start shopping for your first replacement barrel while you’re at it! You’re going to love the 7mm08. I have one in a M70 EW that has become one of my favorite rifles.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Teal
Of the 2. 7-08 because it's what I have. I like it much in a Montana. I doubt I'd feel much difference in a 260 on the same platform but the ability to go heavy on bullets, should I want is nice in the 284 offering.

If I was to do it over tho - 6.5 Creedmoor. Ultimate easy button when comparing/looking at/working with a S/A, medium game killer where high BC bullets (or not) can be used (or not).
This. And I love my 7mm08. Starting over 6.5 cm is how I would go.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by HeavyDove
ok.

no problem scrap the 260 idea....and well the creedmoor, .....after going upstairs into my reloading heaven I pulled out the packing crate that had ALL of my 7mm mag stuff including bullets

Lets just say its going to be a 7mm08. The amount of bullets I had forgotten I had is fooking blushembarrassing. I had to put my foot and leg up on the wall to drag it out.

4,700 Speer 145 gr. bthp Match, 3,300 162 gr. ELD-X's, 2,600 130 gr. speer lead spire points , thats just the shiit stacked on top that I could get too.....and more........all the Midway seconds that I suspect are MORE 162 ELD-X's. ...along with everybody and their grandads 140 gr soft points...and 5 usps box's that are SPS 150 bt's from 5 years ago.......I broke a sweat getting the damn crate back in place.

Right on top of the mountain were 600 Sierra 120 grain Game Kings. A single box open and 500 still sealed. I'll start with that for now.

Under my shotgun reloading bench was ANOTHER 2 foot long and a foot deep, box wrapped in duck tape that just said "7mm speer " on it.....it was completely filled with Speer 145 gr. bt spts. In 500 round packs with shipping straps still in place........I laughed.

I want to thank EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU for helping with advice and insight.......I love the fire.

best
HeavyDove

I hope you're either young or have genes that will allow you to live for a long, long time!! laugh

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If I had one of each and liked them both I'd have a hard time choosing if one had to go.

If I had neither I'd choose neither and go with the 6.5CM. With custom rifles, barrels and handloads you can make the 260 do everything the 6.5 CM does with off the shelf rifles and ammo. Just easier to get there with handloads too.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ok.

best
HeavyDove

The 264 Kreed will simply whistle a .697 BC at 2700fps+ and a pile of schit bullets,in a greater diameter,will never begin to match same. Hint.

Just sayin'...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
ok.

best
HeavyDove

Well there you have it! The easy answer - it's a great elk round too.

As to brass, the no-brainer of the century is Lapua. Pricey? Yes. But if you anneal every four or five sizing's, and don't push it beyond sanity like some do, it will go 15 shots easily.

The 7-08 is a fantastic round...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HD,

Good choice. I would pick the 7-08 over a 260 or Creed.

Arcus Venator
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
260 for sure. 100 grain bullet and let it shine. Hint.

Bullets matter way more than fantasy numbers and fad cartridge names. Hint

Short stump will add some endless cut and paste of those he can't stop thinking about

Last edited by KenMi; 04/20/24.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Brad
ok.

best
HeavyDove

Well there you have it! The easy answer - it's a great elk round too.

As to brass, the no-brainer of the century is Lapua. Pricey? Yes. But if you anneal every four or five sizing's, and don't push it beyond sanity like some do, it will go 15 shots easily.

The 7-08 is a fantastic round...
Lapua is certainly a good option. I’d shop Alpha Munitions first though. It’s more consistent and the same or less money than Lapua.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To practical hunting ranges, It’s like an argument over the fifth generation of the micro-filae of the paramecium.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Between the two choices you gave, I would pick the 7-08.

My reasoning is I have helped friends and/or relatives handload for 3 different 7-08’s and 2 260’s. All shot equally well (less than 1” for 5). However, the 7-08’s were less finicky and easier to find magic. I feel that the platform you choose would be more critical to your comfort and success. As both cartridges offer the same capabilities on game. You definitely have more bullet options in 7mm. I like the heavier bullet options. Brass is a wash.

Only way to make it easier is a 6.5CM. Only due to factory rifle ammo and rifle availability.

Have fun and good luck! Tom

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Neither Physics or Math is "subjective",which tends to be a "bit" handy. Hint.

Less recoil,flatter trajectory and less wind deflection isn't an "argument",though it assuredly IS a fhuqking constant. Hint.

Now in "fairness",I've not shot out more than (5) 7-08 spouts,on a single receiver. That being said,the Kreed' simply offers mechanical advantages,less concession(s) and seldom do things get that sweet. Hint.

There's only been ONE Factory 7-08 constructed correctly(Barrett FC) and there has as of yet,to be a deficient Kreed' offered by the Masses. Hint.

Pardon my simply citing the constants found,in multiple dozens of spouts so chambered. The 7-08 is a distant second fiddle and you can cuss Physics and Math all you please,as you Hissy your Fit(s). Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Always wanted a 260

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kudos on your inability to connect a dot. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
LOL

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,141
Posts18,484,085
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.